An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Catholics Smoking Marijuana

Gabriela

Nihil Obstat

I think speeding is fine. I usually speed a bit on the way to Mass. And everywhere else. A bit.
Never recklessly.

I think speeding is fine. I usually speed a bit on the way to Mass. And everywhere else. A bit.
Never recklessly.

That could increase the risk of you being involved in an accident involving injuries. I'd say this is on the same level as smoking cigarettes and eating fast food.

Yeah I suppose. Like its already been said in this thread, there is no health issues associated with smoking marijuana or violent behavior.

The only bad thing associated with it is a social stigma...but even that is wearing away as people understand it better.

Yeah I suppose. Like its already been said in this thread, there is no health issues associated with smoking marijuana or violent behavior.

The only bad thing associated with it is a social stigma...but even that is wearing away as people understand it better.

I do not think smoking marijuana leads to violent behavior. But violent behavior alone is extremely dangerous and is absolutely sinful. 

Yeah I know, thats what I said lol...marijuana does NOT lead to violent behavior 

Sorry. I misunderstood you. 

I'm not saying that it is immoral just because it is illegal. But as a citizen you are morally obligated to obey just laws.

It's just to threaten people with violence for vices?

Now I'm confused. I thought that all Christians believe we ought to follow the laws of the land we are in. At least, that's what I learned from Protestants...

That could increase the risk of you being involved in an accident involving injuries. I'd say this is on the same level as smoking cigarettes and eating fast food.

Or maybe common sense plays into the act of violating an arbitrary law. But hey, let's all pretend bureaucrats are infallible.

Not in the Debate Table, dude. I try to stay out of here.

You tried your best, and failed miserably.

The lesson is: Never try.

I do not think smoking marijuana is immoral as long as you live in an area where marijuana is decriminalized. Marijuana has never been linked to cancer or other serious diseases. It also does not make the user inclined to make immoral decisions. Smoking cigarettes on the other hand is almost certainly immoral because it causes various types of cancer.

Smoking 50 or more joints before the age of 21 triples your risk of developing schizophrenia.

Now I'm confused. I thought that all Christians believe we ought to follow the laws of the land we are in. At least, that's what I learned from Protestants...

A just law, yes.

It's not just to commit violence against someone who is not committing an act of violence.

Nihil Obstat

I disagree.

A just law, yes.

It's not just to commit violence against someone who is not committing an act of violence.

How does the Church define a "just law"? Because it seems there's a lot of personal opinion entering into this in here. I mean, it's not like marijuana laws persecute Catholics for their faith or anything, in which case they would clearly be unjust. Such laws were legitimately established according to democratic procedure, and they don't persecute any particular group. So whether they are common sense or not (which, so far as I know, is irrelevant to whether violating them is a sin), the would seem to be just.

Or does the Church have some other criteria for establishing which laws are (un)just that I do not know of?