An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Catholics Smoking Marijuana

Gabriela

No one ever understands Tab's posts, but somehow his entries in this thread are still very convincing arguments against drug use.

CatholicsAreKewl

You said a couple of times or so that Marijuana is not known to cause disease. Are you trying to say mental illness is not a disease?

I'm always up for being proven wrong (that's why I'm here). The majority of these studies seem to be in regard to people already prone to develop schizophrenia. However, stimulants can also induce symptoms of psychosis. Caffeine is a common example of a stimulant. Medically prescribed amphetamines are another. Though these things can all be harmful, i don't think the correct mode of action is to ban them out-right. In my opinion, the best prevention method is education.

CatholicsAreKewl

Doesnt the catechism talk about it being sinful to use mind altering drugs

Yes. However, I don't know what that really means. Mind-altering is so vague. There are many prescription drugs on the market that technically qualify more than some street drugs as "mind-altering".

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

havok579257

Yes. However, I don't know what that really means. Mind-altering is so vague. There are many prescription drugs on the market that technically qualify more than some street drugs as "mind-altering".

If im not mistaken it talks about non prescribed mind altering drugs.

I dont think its vague at all to classify marijuana as mind altering drugs. The catechism talks about use of mind altering drugs as sinful. So using non prescribed marijuana is a sin according to th e catechism. I dont think any honest person could debate this unless they are trying to argue the catechism is wrong.

havok579257

I dont think its vague at all to classify marijuana as mind altering drugs. The catechism talks about use of mind altering drugs as sinful. So using non prescribed marijuana is a sin according to th e catechism. I dont think any honest person could debate this unless they are trying to argue the catechism is wrong.

havok579257

havok579257

havok579257

CatholicsAreKewl

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

You're right. I would still argue that caffeine is a mind-altering drug and should be treated as such.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

blurgh nvm. I think I need a vacation from the internets.

Edited by Ice_nine

havok579257

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

You're right. I would still argue that caffeine is a mind-altering drug and should be treated as such.

what rationale do you have for caffeine being a mind altering drug?  In my fallen away days I did a few mind altering drugs and let me tell you they are nothing like caffeine.  Its not even close.

MarysLittleFlower

Isn't it a sin to get drunk? so same with drugs? aren't we supposed to stay sober and with a clear mind, so we can make the right decisions?