An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Need Feminism Because..." Cambridge University Students Sha

CrossCuT

Blueberry pie, or coconut custard, my dear?

How about making a Tourte aux Pommes et aux Poires for Bastille day? We could serve it after the solemn requiem mass for His Royal Highness Louis XVI. 

Somehow, I'm not quite so convinced that lots of abusive, dirty sexist male chauvinist pig types who reject Christ, or are selective about His teachings, will be so much more eager to embrace feminism and thus change their dirty sexist pig ways.

Jesus Christ has a power to change the hearts and minds of men that Gloria Steinem [or insert feminist activist of your choice] simply does not.

Also, for the record, I really don't have a problem with Catholics identifying themselves as "New Feminists" or "Catholic Feminists," or what have you, nor do I think all aspects of feminism are necessarily evil.

My beef is with the contention that feminist ideology is necessary, or that we all need to be feminists, or identify as such.

Hm...well I think Jesus was a feminist, or to be more accurate, he was THE feminist, the one to whom all feminists should take their inspiration from. So I actually do think feminist ideology is necessary or that we all need to be feminists, insomuch as we all need to be more like Christ.

The answer to social problems with gender is social change, but social change comes about through personal change.

Edited by Kia ora

photosynthesis

How about making a Tourte aux Pommes et aux Poires for Bastille day? We could serve it after the solemn requiem mass for His Royal Highness Louis XVI. 

It's not apple season.  

hey. dude. none of that talk. let's talk about drinks instead.

Well, I'll have you know that I'm drinking a delightful American amber-colored whiskey named after the royal house that Louis XVI is from.

Well, I'll have you know that I'm drinking a delightful American amber-colored whiskey named after the royal house that Louis XVI is from.

well that's a fine oh-di-do. 

It's not apple season.  

Woman, your excuses bring La Veuve Capet reason for tears! You don't wish to honor her husband's unjust death at the hands of vile republicans? Get thee to a grocer, and demand his finest imported pommes for the Dauphin!

PhuturePriest

Sometimes the way religious people talk about women, my feels hurt.

I'm probably just on my period.

I find it more alarming that you don't know if you are or not than anything else.

PhuturePriest

Yeah, they're usually big in fundamentalist protestant circles.  Like in the South, especially.  I don't even think protecting is a strong enough word.  At some of them (not all, to be fair, and maybe not even most, idk), the father is literally in charge of a daughter's purity.  It has heavy undertones of taking the decision making out of her hands, taking over her purity for her.   It has strong connotations of overruling her free will. The ones I've read about also don't leave any room for if a daughter makes a mistake or worse is sexually assaulted.  It's the other end of the objectification spectrum.  

One good thing about them is that they focus on fostering strong relationships between daughters and fathers.  That's absolutely invaluable.   It'd just be nice if they focused on strong daddy-daughter relationships, without all the "My father is the owner of my sexuality!" crud.  

(Take note of the bolded part)

Pfft. Well, yeah! If you don't take away women's free will, they'll be forced to rely on their own intelligence, and that's dangerous for her and everyone else around us. Haven't you seen the scientific findings we have on the way women's brains work? This video explains it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

photosynthesis

Woman, your excuses bring La Veuve Capet reason for tears! You don't wish to honor her husband's unjust death at the hands of vile republicans? Get thee to a grocer, and demand his finest imported pommes for the Dauphin!

Maybe I'll just attempt to make macarons again:

macarons.jpg

It's always macarons season.

It's always macarons season.

My dear, silly woman that you are, you present a false dichotomy. Why have just macaron, when you can instead have macaron and tourte aux pommes et aux poires?

photosynthesis

My dear, silly woman that you are, you present a false dichotomy. Why have just macaron, when you can instead have macaron and tourte aux pommes et aux poires?

Don't make me go gluten free on you :)

See, people? THAT is the power of a wife and homemaker.

Now you make baby Jesus cry.

Also, notice anything wrong with this picture:

hZ3x39V.jpg

Be a dear and see what you can do to fix that.

Edited by adt6247