An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Need Feminism Because..." Cambridge University Students Sha

CrossCuT

I think its all in the subtle, small things.

YES. exactly. especially in the U.S. (at least in my limited experience). online, i think that's a whole 'nother ballgame. 

So the movement is working to change peoples mentalities? How does it aim to do this? 

I think we just need to be self aware. How does what we say/do influence or provoke a certain mold we are throwing people into.

No one fits the same mold and we cant let society dictate to us how we view others.

Like I said, I think we are all guilty of this but the reason I think some people dont "need" feminism is because they are only looking at the BIG pieces...equal rights, which is just the superficial part.

The heart of the feminism movement (at least these days) is in the mentality that is STILL carried over even though (for all intents and purposes) women have exactly the same rights as men.

I agree that its hard to see its purpose directly since youre right...the laws are all equal.

However there is this cookie cutter mentality where men and womens roles are that STILL dictates how we act.

I do not think anyone (at least I hope not) is purposefully trying to be sexist, but there is a super strong predisposition in just the things we say and how we act.

People dont even realize half the time that what they say/do is actually degrading to women's place in society.

I think its all in the subtle, small things.

Well, men aren't always the best at seeing the small subtle things... :hehe:

GeorgiiMichael

I can be anti-slavery and not be an abolitionist. Abolitionists are a radical group that go around killing slave holders and attacking US army gun depots. I can work towards the equality between the races and the tyranny of slavery without being an abolitionist. 

However you want to characterize yourself is fine with me.

I just think its important to be self aware.

I have never identified myself as a feminist, but I still feel strongly in line with them on certain topics while less so on others.

Just do the right thing, bottom line.

Edited by CrossCuT

CatholicsAreKewl

Like I said, I think we are all guilty of this but the reason I think some people dont "need" feminism is because they are only looking at the BIG pieces...equal rights, which is just the superficial part.

Raising awareness is great. I'm still confused, though. What do you mean by people needing feminism? I know that stereotypes cut deep into our psyches and that we need to be aware of them but this applies to race as well. 

I guess Im referring back the ORIGINAL post I made, where their "hook" phrase was "I need feminism  because...."

And of course we need the same self awareness for racism as well! FOR ALL THINGS!

Chestertonian

Two hundred million baby girls have been murdered in China since 1978. China needs feminism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISme5-9orR0&feature=player_embedded#at=116

This is really heart wrenching  :(

ToJesusMyHeart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISme5-9orR0&feature=player_embedded#at=116

:cry:  :cry:  :sad:  :ohno:

As a man, I take issue with this.  I don't need feminism to tell me how to respect women.  I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself.

. . . 

Or the real issue here:

I need feminism because I need a cultural ideology (or semi-anti-cultural ideology, depending on which side of the coin you like) to tell me how to think and behave.

This sums up the main point I was trying to make earlier, but which perhaps got lost in debate over peripherals.

Men don't need feminist ideology to know that it is wrong to abuse, hurt, disrespect, harass or make lewd passes at, or rape a woman or girl, and that men should honor and defend women.

According to the code of Christian chivalry, which predated feminism by many centuries, all these things were regarded as completely dishonorable and unbecoming to a Christian gentleman, not to mention immoral and sinful.

The idea that feminism is necessary to prevent bad behavior against women is absolute nonsense.

Of course, detractors can point out how there were always boys/men who disregarded ideals of Christian chivalry and morality - but plenty of men also could care less about the tenets of feminism.

And I can say as a man that most boys and men will find a lot more motivation in the ideals of chivalric manhood and honor than they will in feminist rhetoric about "partriarchy," "gender politics," and "womyn's liberation."

Edited by Socrates

(Unless we're talking about the nine million soaps they have in the bathroom. That's simply not complimentary)

Ahhh, FP, how young you are. This, too, is one way the sexes complement each other: We need all those soaps to scrub you filthy brutes clean.