An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Need Feminism Because..." Cambridge University Students Sha

CrossCuT

photosynthesis

1364614434169.jpg

Because respect for women and reverence for motherhood is part of our faith.  Many posters on this thread have talked about how men should be taught to respect and honor women.  If you really want to change a man's heart, bring him to Our Lady.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never met a chauvenist who had an authentic Marian devotion.

LittleWaySoul

Because respect for women and reverence for motherhood is part of our faith.  Many posters on this thread have talked about how men should be taught to respect and honor women.  If you really want to change a man's heart, bring him to Our Lady.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never met a chauvenist who had an authentic Marian devotion.

Yes, but I don't think having both is a problem. Hence the "why not both?" meme. I, for instance, have a big devotion to Our Lady and am also a self-proclaimed feminist. I don't think the two are incompatible.

I need feminism because my education is not just something to "help me find a husband."

I need feminism because I want a career.

I need feminism because people see the single life as selfish (if you're a woman).

LittleWaySoul

Gianna Beretta Molla

YES

Jehanne-Marie d'Arc

YES

Catherine of Siena

EDITH STEIN WAS A FEMINIST AND SHE ROCKED IT

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

I need feminism because my education is not just something to "help me find a husband."

I need feminism because I want a career.

I need feminism because people see the single life as selfish (if you're a woman).

This basically sums up the feminist rants of me and my fellow feminists at Franciscan. So yeah. :)

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, I love Marian devotions.  I'm part of Militia Immaculata!  But a lot of times people think of Mary as this quiet, humble, beautiful, perfect woman...and she was!  Really! But she's also confident, fearless, counter-cultural and courageous.  Authentic Marian devotion is compatible with plenty of ways to do feminism.  

And honestly, spreading Marian devotion is all well and good, but it's not always going to stop people from being vile.  There are plenty of people who love the Blessed Mother but keep other women in a separate compartment in their brain.  Or people who only focus on certain qualities of Mary, while ignoring others.  How can we expect people to foster a true, authentic Marian devotion if they have a problem with how they view women in the first place? 

Well, a wise person once said to me, "If you cannot win over the whole of society at once, then perhaps it is best to win it back one person at a time, first a friend here, a relative there, a coworker, a stranger." That's my approach with human dignity in general, no matter the form.