An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Need Feminism Because..." Cambridge University Students Sha

CrossCuT

I dont think guys truly understand why us ladies want feminism.

I really didnt even fully understand it until I experienced sexism first hand at a job. It was terrible.

Basilisa Marie

I think that the problem with feminism is that it is actually not liberating women, it is binding them. At least the feminism that I am familiar with. The feminism that says a women's worth is found in how much like a man she can be. In other words, her dignity is not in that as a women, she is given the wonderful ability to bear children, to have incredible emotional sensitivity, to have the capacity to love and care for children the way a man never could. Instead, feminists want women to be like men. They say that women aren't being properly respected unless women open doors for themselves (becuase obviously if we admit we aren't as strong as men then we have less worth) or that we need to be just like men and find dignity and worth in careers. Why would I want to find my dignity and worth sitting at a desk all day doing something that ultimately has NO MEANING instead of raising children with immortal souls and being probably one of the greatest factors in their lives as to whether they are eternally in heaven or hell? Me, I choose to find my dignity and worth in the UNIQUENESS of my femininity. 

There have been studies and stuff that show that when a mother works instead of being home with her children, the children suffer. Same with divorces, same-sex parents, etc. Is your career (which is really at the end of your life pretty meaningless) worth more to you than the harm caused to your children by having no mother home with them?

Now please don't misunderstand, I'm not judging women who do choose careers. Especially since I have no idea what their particular circumstances are, reasons why they are working, etc. Of course it is far better for a mother to work than for her children to starve! I think it is better all around for a mother to be at home though, and that a woman who chooses to be a mother will be more fulfilled. God created us to be mothers, if we are not fulfilling what we are created to do, we won't be as fulfilled.

New Feminism.  Seriously.  Check it out. 

Basilisa Marie

As a man, I take issue with this.  I don't need feminism to tell me how to respect women.  I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself.

To contribute, I guess I'll chime in:

I need feminism because this website has a gray background.

I need feminism because my 4-month-old just peed himself.

I need feminism because water is a liquid.

I need feminism because rocking chairs rock both backward and forward.

Or the real issue here:

I need feminism because I need a cultural ideology (or semi-anti-cultural ideology, depending on which side of the coin you like) to tell me how to think and behave.

Congrats, you've got proper behavior covered.  That's one, only a couple million to go. 

Not all men are like you.  There are a whole lot of men who don't understand how to treat women, and they need a dose of feminism.  I need feminism because I get harassed on the street by men when I'm walking home from work in my work uniform.  We need feminism because the computer hacker who exposed the Steubenville rape case is facing more jail time than the rapists.  The problem of how women are treated in society is a whole lot bigger than you and I, and so we need something to address it.  Don't we believe one person's sin affects the whole community?  So what if some of us have it figured out.  There are a whole lot of people who don't get it, and make life harder for the rest of us. 

LittleWaySoul

Congrats, you've got proper behavior covered.  That's one, only a couple million to go. 

Not all men are like you.  There are a whole lot of men who don't understand how to treat women, and they need a dose of feminism.  I need feminism because I get harassed on the street by men when I'm walking home from work in my work uniform.  We need feminism because the computer hacker who exposed the Steubenville rape case is facing more jail time than the rapists.  The problem of how women are treated in society is a whole lot bigger than you and I, and so we need something to address it.  Don't we believe one person's sin affects the whole community?  So what if some of us have it figured out.  There are a whole lot of people who don't get it, and make life harder for the rest of us. 

Wait, REALLY?!  :shock:

photosynthesis

Queen%20of%20Angels.jpg

All the achievements of the 'great men' of this world are nothing compared to the Queen of Heaven.

Spreading True Devotion to Mary will benefit the world far more than any feminist movement.

LittleWaySoul

Queen%20of%20Angels.jpg

All the achievements of the 'great men' of this world are nothing compared to the Queen of Heaven.

Spreading True Devotion to Mary will benefit the world far more than any feminist movement.

1364614434169.jpg

because you can only be psychologically whipped enough times before you start believing you're worth less.

Because as the world stands now, men don't NEED to give more than a cursory consideration to how women feel, operate and think. It's a man's world. Knowing how men operate is essential for survival.

Because the unique "gifts and talents" that women possess are devalued and degraded to be worth less than a man's contributions. Like "honey that's cute that you can cook for, clean for and nurture us, but without be bringing home a paycheck and fighting off the bad dudes you'd all be dead so shut up and go get me a beer."

LittleWaySoul

#ThingsMaryNeverSaid

Have you read any of the links on "New Feminism" that people have provided here?

She didn't *say* she was a feminist. And 171 never claimed that she did. She *was* one. Real feminists advocate the equal dignity of all women and the beauty of their inherent femininity. That's the kind of feminism most of us are talking about here, unless I misunderstood some posters.  :unsure: