An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

havok579257

no my little simpleton, all you have to do is read the passages I posted, it should be obvious if you read....I notice this is a recurring theme in this forum, you cite passages, give examples of the treatment of women in the bible and the faithful here must close their eyes and say "where? where? I didn't see anything you didn't give any examples" . take your little finger put it on your mouse button and click.....

well thank you sir for clearing it up.  Your not interested in debate you just interested in trying to make us mad(which is not happening).  Everyone on here will see this and continue to treat you accordingly.  Your again exhibiting classic atheism.  Not interested in debates, just interested in trying to be insulting.  I am sorry you feel the need to being insulting to Christians because you were hurt by Christians and feel insecure around christens and inferior.  Maybe one day you can get over this complex and move forward with you life.  Maybe one day.

havok579257

your presence in this thread is useless....

please continue to try and be insulting.  it just continues to show that deep down you feel insecure and are hurting and scared.  We all see it.  Its only you who can't.  Its like an alcoholic who can't see that he is an alcoholic.  You just can't see how scared and hurt and insecure you really are.

yeah ok, whatever, if you are too dumb to operate a computer and scroll up and read the examples I typed out then that's up to you...I gotta go now im not sitting here all day again arguing with people that play dumb and refuse to acknowledge things that are plainly there. so go ahead pat each other on the back [mod]Let's keep things PG-13, shall we? - BG[/mod]

Vincent Vega

firstly let me say, I don't think an actual human being named jesus existed,  like I said all the changes to gods "personality" was a ploy to gain more converts, its just like when the catholic church changes it's stance on things when secular society deems them acceptable....the jesus character says a lot of good and bad things....for example....Matthew 10: 34-38....I am giving up a lot of ground by merely entertaining the idea that any of this is true....I should require you prove such beings/people actually existed before you attempt to quote what they supposedly said, but Im willing to forego all that ..but to answer your question no I have never read any passages where jesus belittles women....but how does that make it any better when the 1st half of the bible does subject women to sub human treatment....just remember the bible states god is unchanging.....perhaps it wasn't god that determined treating women like that was wrong but society as a whole...I tend to try to refrain giving credit to invisible beings the accomplishment we as a species make on our own...

Shit, that is a long sentence. Okay, let's dig in.

firstly let me say, I don't think an actual human being named jesus existed

This is superfluous to the matter. You were the one who wanted to talk about on-topic things (misogyny in the bible), so I'm going to let this one go, as it's pretty far removed from the topic at hand, but do you believe that Gilgamesh existed? There is as much contemporary evidence for Gilgamesh as for Jesus of Nazareth. In any case, I'm not particularly interested in this point anyway, as it is superfluous to my belief whether Jesus of Nazareth existed and/or was God (but as I've said, I'm a much more liberal Christian than the others here, and don't wish to get into that).

like I said all the changes to gods "personality" was a ploy to gain more converts, 

Or, perhaps rather than God changing, the way people viewed him changed. A child thinks that dad is yelling at him to get his fingers out of the outlet because dad is a mean guy. An adult realizes that it's for the safety of the child. It is not unreasonable to think that over the course of several millenia, the understanding of a whole group of people could have changed and matured, as well. 

its just like when the catholic church changes it's stance on things when secular society deems them acceptable

Can you cite even one example of this? The Roman Catholic Church was ahead of the curve on many social issues (e.g., slavery), [spoiler]

Pope Eugene IV: Sicut Dudum

"They have deprived the natives of their property or turned it to their own use, and have subjected some of the inhabitants of said islands to perpetual slavery (<subdiderunt perpetuae servituti>), sold them to other persons and committed other various illicit and evil deeds against them.... Therefore We ... exhort, through the sprinkling of the Blood of Jesus Christ shed for their sins, one and all, temporal princes, lords, captains, armed men, barons, soldiers, nobles, communities and all others of every kind among the Christian faithful of whatever state, grade or condition, that they themselves desist from the aforementioned deeds, cause those subject to them to desist from them, and restrain them rigorously. And no less do We order and command all and each of the faithful of each sex that, within the space of fifteen days of the publication of these letters in the place where they live, that they restore to their pristine liberty all and each person of either sex..."[/spoiler]

and still holds fast to a great number of vastly unpopular ideals.

the jesus character says a lot of good and bad things....for example....Matthew 10: 34-38.

I don't think you'll find anyone (especially here, of all places) who will argue that Jesus was a milquetoast figure. He said a lot of things that made -- and make -- a lot of people uncomfortable. That said, it seems as though you have a very superficial understanding of the bible...what does that particular passage mean to you?

MarysLittleFlower

I gave several examples, people just choose to ignore them...want to know what they are then scroll back up the thread, because im not going to sit and and retype everything all over again...I wouldn't ask you do it, because I know how annoying it is....

I haven't read the whole thread yet... I'll reply when I do. :)

Vincent Vega

SEXISM & CHILD ABUSE WITHIN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - ITS ALL OVER THE NEWS - EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S TRUE

Instead of trying to deny it exists perhaps you theists should tell us what you're doing to root it out.

Why not burn all the hate filled holy books and start again.

Why not sell up all them church owned properties and antiquities to feed the hungry.

Why not admit that child abuse is rampant throughout the church and put into place a serious, transparrent and fair investigation.

Why not stop being so secretive and open up your secret libraries and wrong doings of the past.

Let's face it. If your so called god had any shred of decency these things would have been done years ago. Maybe they wouldn't of happened in the first place if the church was actually moral and just.

PS sorry about three posts in a row

That's a pretty tired group of arguments, but let's only address the bolded:

http://www.themediareport.com/fast-facts/

FACT: Catholic priests abuse at a rate far lower than that of other males in the general population.

FACT: Almost all accusations against Catholic priests date from many decades ago, and indeed nearly half of all abuse accusations concern priests who are already long dead. 

FACT: The incidence of sexual abuse by teachers in public schools today has been estimated to be "more than 100 times" that by Catholic priests, and there is alarming evidence of school officials covering up abuse and failing to report suspected cases to authorities. Yet the mainstream media has largely ignored this shocking story while still rehashing decades-old allegations of abuse by Catholic priests.

Vincent Vega

atheism is a religion like "off" is a tv channel....

I do have to ask (since you took the liberty of moving off-topic, anyway):

If your TV is off, why do you spend so much time worrying about what's on CBS?

Coming onto a Catholic  website and challenging the Bible.

Like Catholics read the Bible. 

totally lol'd. :hehe: 

yeah ok, whatever, if you are too dumb to operate a computer and scroll up and read the examples I typed out then that's up to you...I gotta go now im not sitting here all day again arguing with people that play dumb and refuse to acknowledge things that are plainly there. so go ahead pat each other on the back, give each other hand jobs and claim you won...

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum-guidelines/

stay classy there. ;) 

They are just asking you to formulate an argument based on one bible quote. I've provided you the means to cut and paste rather than typing out the verse you undoubtedly saw on a "CHRISTIANSBADHATEWOMEN" site by giving you a link showing you how to do that.

You're mad that no one is raging over your all too common objections, and if someone did provide a different objection, you would just accuse them of denial. Do you really think you're novel?

i heart you. 

yes the biblical canon was voted on by committee, yup, that sure sounds divinely inspired to me....

Yes, the Church is God-inspired when the bishops gather in council to declare aspects of the faith. That is a part of the faith of the ancient Church, a part that was rejected in the 16th century by the Protestant Reformers, and evidently in the 21st century by atheists, who often sound a lot like Protestants when it comes to religious matters.

btw, holy crap! this thread is 23 pages of people saying, "NO U!". that's pretty freakin' hilarious. i only got to page 8 before i gave up.

btw, Hi Medic and Quinn! besides the Debate Table, you'll find that most people here are pretty chill and laidback. check out the lame board - it's so much more fun than the Debate Table. ;) 

btw, holy croutons! this thread is 23 pages of people saying, "NO U!". that's pretty freakin' hilarious. i only got to page 8 before i gave up.

btw, Hi Medic and Quinn! besides the Debate Table, you'll find that most people here are pretty chill and laidback. check out the lame board - it's so much more fun than the Debate Table. ;)

That's why I wanted a recap of Medic's argument with the supporting texts. I didn't want to read (at the time) 22 pages of drivel.