An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

Not catholic no. I was christened in a church of England church in North London. I was never that interested in religion until 9/11 happened. Then I took it upon myself to get educated. Why did 9/11 happen. I read up on religion, world history and world politics. Christopher Hitchens is my personal hero along with many military guys who left their jobs because the truth was pointing a gun in their faces.

My parents were never religious too although my nan was a devout catholic. She was abandoned as a baby on the doorstep of a nunnery in Liverpool. The nuns took her in and for the first 14 years of her life she was raised catholic. My father and grandfather had regular debates with her about religion.

The main reason I'm so passionate is that the church and state have never been separated. Everywhere in the world (maybe Norway is the exception) there are priests and imams and rabbis poking their noses into state affairs. In a true secular society politics and religion should be divided. Thomas Jefferson had the right ideas but it's a shame that everything he stood for is being trampled upon.

KnightofChrist

The main reason I'm so passionate is that the church and state have never been separated. Everywhere in the world (maybe Norway is the exception) there are priests and imams and rabbis poking their noses into state affairs. In a true secular society politics and religion should be divided. Thomas Jefferson had the right ideas but it's a shame that everything he stood for is being trampled upon.

You're not talking about separation of Church and State, you are talking about segregation, discrimination, excluding people of faith from having a say in government. That's not how a free society actually works, that's how a bigoted society works. And you are not talking about a secular government but an Atheistic one.

Thomas Jefferson had the right ideas but it's a shame that everything he stood for is being trampled upon.

So you support nullification and secession?

No matter what verse I attempt to quote the religious apologist will find some way to distort it so it fits their perspective...instead of sitting here sending each other bible quotes how about engaging in meaningful dialogue instead of sending me to post bible verses from a book most of you have never read. ;)

Of course that is a matter of opinion. How do you know that it is not your perspective on the text that is a distortion. Maybe the "religious apologist" is correct and you are wrong. One of the things I find interesting about discussions of this kind is that atheists often approach the bible in a Protestant manner. The scriptures were not written in a vacuum and nor are they to be interpreted in a vacuum. Scripture and Tradition, along with the ancient rule of faith, go together, which is why you will never find any of the Church Fathers arguing for sola scriptura.

HisChildForever

its just like when the catholic church changes it's stance on things when secular society deems them acceptable....

The Catholic Church has never done this. Because if this was the case, the doctrine on abortion, contraception, premarital sex, and homosexual marriage would be the opposite of what it is now.

HisChildForever

Then again mate, some people are so blind they will still believe the screwed up voices in their head.

Please don't confuse religious belief with psychotic disorders. It makes you look ignorant.

Lilllabettt

I think Medic is in pain. Don't ask me why I think so. But I can "hear" it in this thread. Maybe hurt by "Christians."

So be as gentle as you can - don't break the bruised reed.

HisChildForever

I think Medic is in pain. Don't ask me why I think so. But I can "hear" it in this thread. Maybe hurt by "Christians."

So be as gentle as you can - don't break the bruised reed.

I picked up on something similar by the way he constantly misreads threads, like he's just looking to support his opinions of Christianity.

havok579257

I picked up on something similar by the way he constantly misreads threads, like he's just looking to support his opinions of Christianity.

completely agree.  Also he appears to feel insecure around others of faith and this adds to his misreading threads and attacking others instantly.

HisChildForever

Poo, it won't let me edit. I meant to say posts, not threads.

havok579257

ok you are ignorant and that is not an insult, just the truth you came in here insulting me...tell ya what,, read what you typed to me and then really think about it...I really have nothing more to say to you as you appear to be some pre-teen making some asinine argument trying to make yourself seem overly pious....good luck with that..have a nice life....ta ta for now little one...

I am sorry you have been hurt by Christians in your life and now you feel insecure and inferior to them and this causes you to lash out at them.  Its obvious to people here.  You feel insecure about your atheism and need to lash out at others.  You obviously did not come here to debate as very little debating has been done in this thread by you.  Hopefully you were not ignorant enough to come here and think you would actually shake the faith of anyone here.  Sorry better men then you have been here and tried and failed.  So then it obvious why you are here.  You were hurt by Christians in the past and now you are insecure about your religion(atheism) and scared inside and so you came here to just try to hurt Christians.  Its not going to work either.  We have dealt with many atheists on here.  Some worse than you and it always ends the same.  Once they realize their small insults do not bother us, they leave.  You eventually will do the same.  Your just like all other atheists who come here.  Rinse and repeat.

HisChildForever

completely agree.  Also he appears to feel insecure around others of faith and this adds to his misreading threads and attacking others instantly.

I think there's also something to be said about an atheist who joins a Catholic forum and immediately creates an inflammatory thread. He didn't join to be a member of the community. Furthermore, if I had a question about another faith, I would approach that faith with an open-mind and phrase the question in conversational tones. Instead of "how do you come to terms with the glaring misogyny in the Bible?" I would do this. I would post in Open Mic, and make the topic "Friendly [insert religion here] with Questions." I would then write a brief paragraph introducing myself, maybe how I found the forum/why I searched for it. Then I would say that I read something recently, or something's been on my mind lately, about teaching x, y, and z. I would explain how I understand it, but am curious how the religion's adherents understand it, and that this might clear up my confusion.

Edited by HisChildForever

ok but I didn't resort to calling other people jackasses...might want to rethink your argument...

I said you were talking like a jack ass, and you were. There's a subtle distinction between calling someone a jack ass and saying they're acting like one, and believe me I relish in the irony that despite your self-proclaimed genius, free-thinking mind that you glossed over that distinction and fired back with childish insults that I'm sure you and your atheists friends over at whateversubredditfromwhenceyoucame are all having a good lol.

Here's the thing, it's obvious you think that you're smarter than people who subscribe to religion. You storm in here

spitting criticisms at christianity that you think none of us here have ever heard before or dealt with. That's what's truly funny, you think your rants are original. It's also obvious that you only have experience in taking down fundamentalists and that makes you feel like a mighty thought warrior. Congratulations, but that's little league. You are so poorly versed in Catholic theology and church history that it's impossible to take you seriously.

So since you believe you are better than everyone here, let your insults be more open. I really can't stand when someone starts mouthing off, and then when insulted back, starts claiming their behavior was totally pleasant. Your posts ooze with supercilious rage and if you truly can't see that, then add yourself to the list of delusional people in this thread. Just be a man/woman and insult people instead of hiding behind (what you think are "clever") equivocations.

But yes I have encountered these "problems" that you're discussing and I've resolved many of them. I would be happy to talk about them with someone truly interested, but all you are is a former fundie Christian interested in masturbatory internet debates with easy targets. And you will never realize exactly how outclassed you are because people are not going to waste their valuable energy on people with you're attitude.

Edited by Ice_nine

MarysLittleFlower

You didn't provide evidence in your first post for the so called "misogyny". How can anyone reply seriously? after all we don't see any misogyny.

If you see misogyny, then you're probably interpreting Scripture incorrectly.

Misogyny: "hatred of women"

God doesn't hate

Therefore He doesn't hate women

Catechism teaches men and women have equal dignity as children of God

Regarding 'submission', the Bible also says that husbands must love their wives as Christ has loved the Church. Think about how Christ has loved the Church (dying for the Church, giving Himself to the Church), and it would make more sense.

This type of submission is not hateful, misogynist, or against human dignity, but simply points to how men and women are *different*. Children of God but different.

Why do people today try to get rid of all distinctions? They're found in creation.

But since you didn't give any examples, I can't respond beyond this.