An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

I addressed this in my earlier post. He said he came not to abolish, but to fulfill, which is generally understood as meaning, "If I didn't change it, it's the same. If I did, it's different." St. Paul said that women and men were now to be considered as equals (i.e., changing the way things were). 

Also, what misogynistic thing(s) did Jesus say in the NT?

firstly let me say, I don't think an actual human being named jesus existed,  like I said all the changes to gods "personality" was a ploy to gain more converts, its just like when the catholic church changes it's stance on things when secular society deems them acceptable....the jesus character says a lot of good and bad things....for example....Matthew 10: 34-38....I am giving up a lot of ground by merely entertaining the idea that any of this is true....I should require you prove such beings/people actually existed before you attempt to quote what they supposedly said, but Im willing to forego all that ..but to answer your question no I have never read any passages where jesus belittles women....but how does that make it any better when the 1st half of the bible does subject women to sub human treatment....just remember the bible states god is unchanging.....perhaps it wasn't god that determined treating women like that was wrong but society as a whole...I tend to try to refrain giving credit to invisible beings the accomplishment we as a species make on our own...

HisChildForever

you said you weren't interested in what I had to say.....then I called you testy....any biblical scholar knows Christianity plagiarized pagan rituals and observances in order to gain converts, you denied this point, the examples are clear with the winter solstice and the spring equinox....

I didn't say I wasn't interested in what YOU had to say regarding that topic, I said I wasn't interested in the topic ITSELF, especially since it was off-topic.

You again show that you just don't read posts properly. Either that or you read what you want to read. Post 199 was not a "denial" of that point you made, it was me being witty - your post (198) implied that pre-existing pagan beliefs cited the Judeo-Christian God as a misogynist killer. And that implication came from a very poor read of post 196.

you said you weren't interested in what I had to say.....then I called you testy....any biblical scholar knows Christianity plagiarized pagan rituals and observances in order to gain converts, you denied this point, the examples are clear with the winter solstice and the spring equinox....

Oh yeah, everybody knows this. Christianity has always been known for jacking other people's rituals and stuff. But so is every other religion on the face of the planet. Everything is a remix. Well, except Atheists. You'd think that several thousand years of religion would mean something...

Edited by arfink

I didn't say I wasn't interested in what YOU had to say regarding that topic, I said I wasn't interested in the topic ITSELF, especially since it was off-topic.

You again show that you just don't read posts properly. Either that or you read what you want to read. Post 199 was not a "denial" of that point you made, it was me being witty - your post (198) implied that pre-existing pagan beliefs cited the Judeo-Christian God as a misogynist killer. And that implication came from a very poor read of post 196.

ok, then I mistook your wittiness as sarcasm, it happens a lot on the internet,  I read them properly I just made the same mistake you did when you accused me of attacking everyone...

Oh yeah, everybody knows this. Christianity has always been known for jacking other people's rituals and stuff. But so is every other religion on the face of the planet. Everything is a remix. Well, except Atheists. You'd think that several thousand years of religion would mean something...

did you have a point, or were you just trying to be obnoxious?

havok579257

point number 1....im not playing a victim by asking questions....

point number 2 I do not want nor am I asking for your pity (or prayers)

point number 3..i have been quite pleasant throughout most of the exhchanges I have had here.

point number 4. atheism is not a dogma, merely a rejection of ANY deities.

point number 5...if I was scared I would have ran off a long time ago.

point number 6....I wasn't scared to begin with...

point number 7....the catholic church is corrupt..

actually you have not been pleasant at all unless you mean to the other athiests and delivery boy.  other than that you have been very rude and thrown out insults.  you come on here and when people ask you to actually ask a specific question you throw out personal insults.  this is classic atheism, not just on here but in the real world.  make some inflammatory statement, don't really say anything or have nothing to back up what your saying and then when anyone questions you, throw out personal insults.  this is exactly why the majority of the world see's athiests negatively.   your just adding to the sterotype.

your playing the victim because your accusing everyone or nearly everyone of attacking you and you just being a swell nice guy who has said nothing bad about anyone.  its a flat out lie.

atheism is a dogma absolutely.  atheism is not just a rejection of God.  atheism is a religion unto itself which has a many person of converting people into members.  atheism is not satisfied with just non belief and to each his own.  no, atheism has a goal of conversion of every single person on the planet.  no different than Catholicism.

and here we go again.  continue with the classic atheism of when you run out of arguments, just throw out insults.  the catholic church is corrupt, the catholic church rapes boys, the catholic church is evil.  here let me try, white people are all racists against blacks, all blacks are criminals, school teachers rape children, police are corrupt, the government is evil.  are we at the point in this debate where instead of actually bringing points up, we just hurl insults. 

your actions and the reason atheism will never be accepted by the mainstream population.  instead of choosing to be warm and engaging like catholics, you choose to be insulting, snide, and mean.  Honestly I don't know if its just lack of intelligence most athiests have or what.  Cause its not just you.  Most athiests resort to your antics and for some reason can't see what the vast majority of the population see's, that your being an ass.  Richard Dawkins for all of his book smarts honestly has no common sense.  the guy is a complete jerk when it comes to religion and instead of debating just throws out insults.  this to me and most people shows a lack of intelligence in common sense and that you are projecting your fears onto Christians. 

actually you have not been pleasant at all unless you mean to the other athiests and delivery boy.  other than that you have been very rude and thrown out insults.  you come on here and when people ask you to actually ask a specific question you throw out personal insults.  this is classic atheism, not just on here but in the real world.  make some inflammatory statement, don't really say anything or have nothing to back up what your saying and then when anyone questions you, throw out personal insults.  this is exactly why the majority of the world see's athiests negatively.   your just adding to the sterotype.

your playing the victim because your accusing everyone or nearly everyone of attacking you and you just being a swell nice guy who has said nothing bad about anyone.  its a flat out lie.

atheism is a dogma absolutely.  atheism is not just a rejection of God.  atheism is a religion unto itself which has a many person of converting people into members.  atheism is not satisfied with just non belief and to each his own.  no, atheism has a goal of conversion of every single person on the planet.  no different than Catholicism.

and here we go again.  continue with the classic atheism of when you run out of arguments, just throw out insults.  the catholic church is corrupt, the catholic church rapes boys, the catholic church is evil.  here let me try, white people are all racists against blacks, all blacks are criminals, school teachers rape children, police are corrupt, the government is evil.  are we at the point in this debate where instead of actually bringing points up, we just hurl insults. 

your actions and the reason atheism will never be accepted by the mainstream population.  instead of choosing to be warm and engaging like catholics, you choose to be insulting, snide, and mean.  Honestly I don't know if its just lack of intelligence most athiests have or what.  Cause its not just you.  Most athiests resort to your antics and for some reason can't see what the vast majority of the population see's, that your being an ass.  Richard Dawkins for all of his book smarts honestly has no common sense.  the guy is a complete jerk when it comes to religion and instead of debating just throws out insults.  this to me and most people shows a lack of intelligence in common sense and that you are projecting your fears onto Christians. 

atheism is a religion like "off" is a tv channel....personal insults, I think not, I was the one called "jack ass" and "troll"  and the playing the victim...no i think not.....i haven't been throwing insults if telling another person i will not engage in any more conversation with them is an insult then you are really grasping at straws......and just so you know...atheism grows daily...right..."my antics"  apparently you didn't look over this thread....nice try...but its painfully obvious you don't know what you are talking about....and if you take what I just said as an insult..then you need thicker skin....have a good one...but you are another one I wont be interacting with until you actually make a point that appear coherent and not full of BS.  perhaps you should pray for a couple of days and then come back ;)

havok579257

well that concludes any future interaction I will have with you.

honestly what is your purpose in being here.  Its not to debate as you have been more into throwing out insults that debating.  so why are you here?  why waste your time coming here if all your going to do is throw out insults.  go back and look at al your posts and see that your insulting in so many of them.  so why come to a catholic website you claim you want to debate with but throw out insults and already agnolog that you won't accept any answer we give you?  the answer is simple, your here to spread your religion... atheism.  which involves insulting not only other religions but other people.  yeah, I so want to be part of a religion who's first commandment is to be an ass to everyone who is not an atheist and to push my religion on other until their ears bleed.

havok579257

atheism is a religion like "off" is a tv channel....personal insults, I think not, I was the one called "jack ass" and "troll"  and the playing the victim...no i think not.....i haven't been throwing insults if telling another person i will not engage in any more conversation with them is an insult then you are really grasping at straws......and just so you know...atheism grows daily...right..."my antics"  apparently you didn't look over this thread....nice try...but its painfully obvious you don't know what you are talking about....and if you take what I just said as an insult..then you need thicker skin....have a good one...but you are another one I wont be interacting with until you actually make a point that appear coherent and not full of BS.  perhaps you should pray for a couple of days and then come back ;)

this is exactly what I mean by atheist have no common sense.  your being insulting in this very post and you don't even know it.  its sad really.

atheism is growing.  really.  they just had a piece on cnn about the decline of atheism.  although I am sure you will find a reason to discredit that because we all know catholic church and liberal media are partners.

the next time you want to make comment about my lack of intelligence and common sense, perhaps you should look up the difference between your and you're, thanks but you fail....

honestly what is your purpose in being here.  Its not to debate as you have been more into throwing out insults that debating.  so why are you here?  why waste your time coming here if all your going to do is throw out insults.  go back and look at al your posts and see that your insulting in so many of them.  so why come to a catholic website you claim you want to debate with but throw out insults and already agnolog that you won't accept any answer we give you?  the answer is simple, your here to spread your religion... atheism.  which involves insulting not only other religions but other people.  yeah, I so want to be part of a religion who's first commandment is to be an ass to everyone who is not an atheist and to push my religion on other until their ears bleed.

this was a response to someone who had nothing to add to the conversation but a smart assed comment and an 'LOL"  if my response to them is an insult, then you are super sensitive....once again...go pray on it...

havok579257

the next time you want to make comment about my lack of intelligence and common sense, perhaps you should look up the difference between your and you're, thanks but you fail....

lol, are you serious.  your going grammer Nazi on me.  oh my, using grammer on the internet as an insult.... I wasn't wrong, you have no common sense.  common sense would let someone know not to use Hitler or grammer on the internet in a debate.  It shows they lack common sense and intelligence and have no leg to stand on.  I can honestly say I now know what kind of person I am dealing with.  This is funny.