An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

I think it has been helpful in some ways for me to watch it. It definitely re-enforces my desire to make art that is coherent and follows the forms of my faith and my knowledge, even if my art medium is different than movies.

But would I watch it again? Probably not, and certainly not all the way through. The first few episodes are actually quite nice, and given that the story doesn't really resolve by the end, I feel I could actually maybe enjoy the series if I left off the last 4 episodes and skipped the film that makes up the finale.

I have read a lot of literature that would fit that description... glad I read it, but glad I don't HAVE to re-read it.... yup.

And very grateful for my faith...

Not The Philosopher

Neon Genesis Evangelion was kinda my own personal Catcher in the Rye during my high school years. As a result, it's one of those pop culture things which lingers on in my imagination regardless of my more critical views of it as an adult. I generally agree that it has a lot of interesting elements which never really come together into a coherent whole, and that the negativity is just crushing. Actually, I wrote a bit of a spiel about it for a blogging challenge a few months back:

http://pretentiouslatintitle.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/blogging-from-a-to-z-day-14-n-is-for-neon-genesis-evangelion/

Wow, ornament sales have made up 100% of all sales for the last 4 weeks, and it's going really well! I have mostly the members of Phatmass to thank for that. ^_^

I have also begun work on some new projects now. Things are getting quite busy and fun around here. I have dimensions and plans for mechanical embossing plates which can be used in a small roller press to emboss paper with patterns of my choosing. I also have found an awesome lead on a company that makes laser cutter compatible rubber sheets. This is cool because I can now make stamps again! The old material I used is called neoprene, and it's no fun at all in the laser. It's pretty nasty stuff when it gets hit with that kind of heat, producing a horrible stench, and releasing corrosive gas and large amounts of soot. The new stuff is supposedly odor-free and very clean, so I'm looking forward to getting some and trying it out.

Oh, and the best part of all: 19 days until Ploomf comes to visit for New Years!

Stamps, ARFink?  As in RUBBER STAMPS... as in you could design a stamp we could use????

Welll... now a set of stamps would be something I would think could be a pretty popular item... what kid doesnt' like stuff like that?  I've given stamps and ink pads to my nieces and nephews... and used 'em myself!    Are they still being used by kids?

Is anybody still using sealing wax on letters?   Because they'd be good for that, too....

Edited by AnneLine

Yup, rubber stamps! Of course, for wax stamping, one would probably want to use an acrylic or ABS plastic instead of a soft rubber one.

Working at the office a little more this week. I have a lot of stuff to get caught up on. Things on the business front are also speeding up. I continue to get orders, including now some non-Christmas-y stuff. I think part of my success has been because I keep my marketing going at least a couple times a week. And because people want Christmas presents. I'm sure it'll slow back down eventually... but not after Christmas. I have people who are very excited about getting custom work done, so my schedule for after Christmas is beginning to fill as well. This is exciting. :bounce:

Hopefully I can get yours mailed soon TT. I'm running a little behind schedule.

I also have one piece of sad news. I've decided I cannot participate in the art show I was invited to. The show is going to be about Jewish Jesus, which on its surface seems quite good, a re-imagining of medeival art with a very nice Jewish historical piece thrown in. But the organizers are setting the tone in a rather confrontational way, claiming that historical depictions of Jewish life in the context of Christ was an attempt to ethnically cleanse Jews from culture in the Middle Ages. I don't find this plausible at all, and I don't think I can participate in that. I don't want to be part of the vilification of Medieval sacred art.