An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

we'll be praying for you while we are waiting, ARFink.... take your time and plan to enjoy a diet Coke AFTER not before or during!

Things are going along nicely. I have a couple extra "reject" pieces so far, but nothing to be worried about. Quite alright. :) I may have pictures to show tonight, depending on how things go.

The first picture is the walnut and basswood variant. I also did a set of cherry accents which don't look as special as I had hoped. But the walnut looks much better.

20131107_160029.jpg

20131107_160135.jpg

She needs some cleaning up around the edges, and of course it will all have to be glued down very carefully. The veneer is remarkably spring-like and wants to bend all over the place instead of laying perfectly flat. Hardly a surprise I suppose. I can see now why it's more used for inlays than for layers, as it behaves better that way. Still, a very careful application of Titebond II fast-dry wood glue should do the trick.

Well, the pieces are assembled together in layers, sorta. I made an updated exploded diagram for you here, which shows how the pieces go together.

theotokos%2520of%2520passion%2520explosi

The pieces are color coded. Pieces outlined in blue are the very thin maple wood veneer. This is only 0.02" thick. Imagine something just slightly thinner than the card they make cereal boxes out of, sliced from a tree, and you have the thickness of the walnut wood I was using. Two of these walnut pieces are in the form of rings, and they fit around the central oval piece. The crown is also made from the veneer, and fits perfectly into a depression on the top oval piece. The oval piece also fits into a depression on the back piece. These depressions are marked by gray fields.

I don't know how much mine weighs exactly, I have to weight it and see. But it is definitely under 6 ounces.

Here is Pope Francis sporting a super-bling panagia:

ae733d1d1e934914bd1eca234cce3df3-fd17604

Beautiful!!

The detail is just stunning. I do agree that the walnut looks better,there is more contrast. Are you going to oil or stain it?

Ah ok. The roses on the outside made me think that those would look really great with St Therese in the middle. Not something complicated as this one but simple, just an etching of her with a border of roses. Or an image of the Sacred Heart  with the thorns that would be pretty neat too...

ARFink, do you know if 'pangia' means something in particular? 

It sounds like a compound Greek word... if so, wouldn't 'pan' be 'All' and 'agia' be something else?

Maybe it means something like Mother of all or Queen of all?

EDIT BEFORE THE EDIT:

WAIT... when in doubt look it up.. and yes, I was on the right track:

Panagia (Greek: Παναγία, fem. of panágios, pan- + hágios, the All-Holy; pronounced "pah-nah-YEE-ah"), also transliterated Panayia or Panaghia, is one of the titles of Mary, the mother of Jesus, used especially in Orthodox Christianity.

Most Eastern Orthodox churches dedicated to the Virgin Mary are called Panagia; the standard western Christian designation of "St. Mary" is rarely used in the Orthodox East, as Mary is considered the holiest of all human beings and therefore of higher status than the Saints, literally a "Saint in the superlative". (from Wikipedia "Panagia")

And... there is more about the vestment (which is what ARFink is making here....) (from the same Wikipedia article...)

By extension of this last sense, a panagia is an engolpion with an icon of the Theotokos , worn by an Orthodox bishop. They can be very simple [3] or extremely elaborate, depending on the personal taste of the particular bishop.

Full article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagia

So... sounds like the image on a Panagia MUST be of Mary the Mother of God.... but I agree, it would be a beautiful item with other things in the insert, if it is permitted...

Edited by AnneLine