An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

Well yes, a Panagia is an engolpion with an icon of Mary. The other common engolpion style has images of Christ crucified and is more cross-like than round. They always have a crown it seems, and a drop. I have yet to see an engolpion with another image on it.

Engolpion?   Sounds like the latest drink at 7-11.....  I am sure it is the broader term for that kind of a pendant-type pectoral adornment?

I'm heading off to sleep now (Yes, the AnneLine really does sleep!  :brutebeast: :cloud9: ) but are these items kind of like the Pallium that western Archbishops wear, or the pectoral cross that bishops, cardinals and the Pope wear?

Will look for a response tomorrow.....   zzzzzzzz

Edited by AnneLine

Arg, rough day. Got some stuff happening here that's getting under my skin. But at least I'm done with the glue fumes for the moment. :P I got the engolpion put together, inlays and all, all affixed with a special fast-bond glue that's designed for this kind of thing. 'Twas stinky in the extreme.

brandelynmarie

Ah ok. The roses on the outside made me think that those would look really great with St Therese in the middle. Not something complicated as this one but simple, just an etching of her with a border of roses. Or an image of the Sacred Heart with the thorns that would be pretty neat too...

I was thinking the same thing... :)

Yes, the finish isn't being applied by me, so you'll have to wait for a bit, but I suppose I could take one more shot of it before it leaves my possession.

Sounds like you have been having a rough and stinky day!  

Perhaps offer that up for the Bishop who will be wearing it? 

I suspect they have more than their share of rough and stinky days.... :pray:

Today I found this:

https://soundcloud.com/ubiktune/c-jeff-black-lock/s-AJSxr

Click through to listen. From the description on that page:

233.png

Black Lock from the upcoming C-jeff's album "Big Steel Wheels" to be released on November 14th. The track has a guitar appearance by Stemage.

Big Steel Wheels — a fictional action music journey through heavy electronic progressive riffs and melancholy vibes — written and produced by Ubiktune founder Dmitry "C-jeff" Zhemkov.

Big Steel Wheels was inspired by film scores from the '80s, particularly those of Rocky IV and The Transformers: The Movie by composer and performer Vince DiCola. The album consists of 13 tracks containing about 55 minutes of music.

A number of special guests are also featured, including: Stemage, Danimal Cannon and Raz Ben Ari on guitars; Jeff Ball on viola; Alexander Brandon, Disasterpeace, George "norg" Nowik and Lamont Bellsarios as voice actors. Big Steel Wheels is mixed and mastered by Megus.

Well, this was interesting. I was expecting to attend a big board meeting tonight, and now I've been told they are too busy to hear my presentation, so I should present another month. :idontknow: I guess it's not that high a priority?

I'm beginning work on a special Christmas project today. I like both of these images as inspiration, but there are lots of specific things about them I don't like too, which will require adaptation.

First of all, Joseph is always depicted as being old. Like, really old. I find this to be obnoxious. So my Joseph is going to look younger.

Secondly, the poses in the first image are certainly instantly recognizable and likable, but a bit... static. It seems to walk an uncanny middle-ground between stylizing it and leaning on realism. So Joseph looks like he has jowls, and is staring at the corner of the ceiling, while Mary seems more concerned with baby Jesus toppling over while she precariously stands him up on her knee for the artist.

The first image is appealing because of the close composition. It would really fit with my initial vision, having Jesus in the middle, flanked by his parents.

The second image is more like what I'm thinking for style, more icon-like. It's less obvious it was based on actors in a studio. I like Mary's face, and the exaggerated convolutions and hard lines in the cloth and hair. But in this case the image doesn't quite fit my parameters for engraving because it's very long and tall. This does not play well to the limitations of my laser engraving hardware.

1418427_516325465141484_1992826534_n.jpg

1414683_516325598474804_870765002_n.jpg?