An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

Well, if I keep up the pace on this, I should have a finished panagia ready for the bishop before Christmas. Here is the latest round of concept sketches.

engk+sketch.png

ARFink, she is lovely.  And I like how He truly looks like a 'little man' almost old for his age.  Don't know if that was deliberate or not, but I get the feeling of God in Him, and wisdom way beyond his apparent years.....  he does seem to have a very large range-of-motion in his neck.   A bit owl-like....    ;)

Are those implements of the passion you have penciled in around the outside?  Are they 'required elements' the way some letters and designs are on icons?

ARFink, she is lovely.  And I like how He truly looks like a 'little man' almost old for his age.  Don't know if that was deliberate or not, but I get the feeling of God in Him, and wisdom way beyond his apparent years.....  he does seem to have a very large range-of-motion in his neck.   A bit owl-like....    ;)

Are those implements of the passion you have penciled in around the outside?  Are they 'required elements' the way some letters and designs are on icons?

Well, there is a bit of a story with this. That central image is known as the Theotokos of the Passion, it's a very old pattern for an icon, supposedly based on a lost original by St. Luke. I'm not sure I believe the provenance of the image, but I do know it's one of the very oldest depictions of Mary we have, and certainly the oldest in the form of an icon.

One thing from Eastern icons that you quickly see is that the child Jesus looks very mature in almost all instances. I've actually made him look younger in my version, and he still looks old. :P The originals I had to look at had a much more wrinkly looking small-old-man sort of look. I definitely took the more early-Byzantine approach of giving him the Imperial treatment for face and hair. That early icons had him looking like this is no accident. They were directly copying the works of the Imperial workshops, essentially stealing all the deity symbols that were used for depictions of the Emperor and using them for Christ. In some very early instances there is even evidence that images of the Emperor were being intentionally vandalized to make homage to Christ and his Divinity. This is one of the reasons why early Christians were accused of atheism, because they would abuse the likeness of the Emperor.

The symbols of the Passion are usually included in icons of the Theotokos of the Passion, held out by cherubs. The client didn't want cherubs, so I am just placing them around the outside of the motif. Christ is looking away from the viewer and from his mother so that he can gaze upon the cross, so that placement is very intentional.

Oh, and it's hard to see in this sketch, but there are 4 nails below the image, right above the drop. 4 nails as opposed to 3 is definitely an Eastern touch. As is the stick with a sponge on it to go with the spear.

I've been shopping around for good woods to use for this too. I am pondering a mix of basswood (for it's light color and very tight grain) and cherry veneer.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP9XCp_oiNQ[/media]

What is not to love????   :heart: :heart:

Awww. So little and cute. I also love the totoro heating pad, I wonder where you could get one...

Well today I had the odd experience of remembering I backed a successful Kickstarter campaign and forgot about it. They contacted me to know where to send the CD and t-shirt. Well cool. :)

It was Fr. Pontifex's new album Kickstarter. I totally forgot I gave them money for it.

Our Lady seems to have gotten a large blue mole on her chin. :hehe2:

but she and the Baby seem to be looking better all the time.  Love their hands...

Edited by AnneLine

Our Lady seems to have gotten a large blue mole on her chin. :hehe2:

but she and the Baby seem to be looking better all the time.  Love their hands...

I knew somebody would spot that! That is a temporary registration marking that represents the exact center of the piece, and which I have to use as a reference for repeating patterns which need to be rotated around that axis of symmetry. Just as an example, the peacoe around the edge is made of overlapping circles which needed to be referenced against that point, as well as each individual thorn. The thorns are all referenced against that central point, and repeat in sets of 3. If you are careful you may be able to spot that. :)