An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

I have here a Neo Geo Pocket Color (AKA NGPC) and an old Gravis Gamepad Pro. The Gravis has excellent button placement and feels great in the hand, but the d-pads on them always stunk because back in the day Nintendo still had a patent on the good kind. Well, as it turns out, there was one directional input which was still better than a cross-shaped d-pad, and that's the clicky thumbstick on the NGPC. It's amazing, and is the only thumb-control I've ever liked for shmups or fighting games, because you can actually pull off a dragon-punch move (forward, down, down forward, punch) without breaking your thumbs. IMO, the thumb stick of the NGPC was the very best part of the whole system. Since I don't use my NGPC anymore, I'm gutting it so that it can live a better life.

So I'm transplanting the thumb stick into the Gravis, and converting the whole thing to bluetooth. In short, I'm making my dream PC gamepad.

Operations have begun. I used the laser cutter to contour the front face and cut it out.
IMG_4804.JPG

Need to desolder the joystick next. Haven't got to it yet.
IMG_4807.JPG

Fits like it was meant to be there.
IMG_4809.JPG

I'm using a Bluefruit module from Adafruit to run the bluetooth portion of this build, and it will have a 500 mAh lipo and charger built in as well, so it ought to run for about 12 hours on a charge. More updates when I have the electronics built.

Items of note for today:

- ABS cement smells much worse than most glues I have had the misfortune of smelling. Quite foul.

- However, it does dry really fast and is absolutely perfect for my application, so I can't really complain.

- Cutting PCBs is easier than I thought.

- Calipers are now my second-favorite tool, after the laser cutter.

Today I got a one-off design gig to make a logo. Reason I was chosen: everyone else was too expensive, except this one guy they actually hired, but then he died a few days before starting the project, so now they've hired me. :eek:

Hmmm  might just buy a couple! I love the acrylic version and I have a couple of people I can think of that would like one.

I know for a fact that not everything in the 70s sounded like this, but I'm going to pretend that it did, because I love it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ky14K97Po[/media]

Gotta work today. Always with the working thing. :P

My room is a disaster, but I'm going to resist cleaning it for now, because I know it's a temptation to avoid my job for the moment.

Goat-getter of the day: people who write peak when they mean peek.

Sneak Peek is where you get to look at something you're not supposed to, all sneaky like.

Sneak Peak is a famous mountain from which all ninjas come. Everything on that mountain is so sneaky, nobody has ever seen it. In fact, even the mountain itself is actually a ninja.