An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

He has some other issues. His chin has lumps. I don't like his chin lumps. :P

wPT8suX.png

I got Joseph worked in there. His beard is curly. And I tried to make him look younger. Instead of being super old.

Perhaps Jesus just had his wisdom teeth come in?   (HE would indeed get WISE early!)   If so, he should have his jaw settle down to normal size fairly soon.....

Joseph is handsome.. .and looks a lot like my idea of St. Christopher somehow....

Mary looks kinda sleepy.....  ;)

And AnneLine is being a brat....

Screenshot+from+2013-11-14+22%253A55%253

This is what it looks like when I'm inking. The final result will be something with good, firm lines that will look very nice when engraved.

It's always interesting to see how you work, ARFink.  I am curious.... so you have to actually hand-ink all those lines?  Is there some reason the software can't do this for you?   Is it because the human hand/eye is actually more sensitive or delicate?

Yes, the software is remarkably dumb. I could do a side-by-side comparison when I'm finished and you can see what I mean.

The human mind is an extremely powerful image recognition system, and can instantly recognize facial features, emotions, and other subtle things instantly from even the most blurry of photos. A computer can't really accurately do this. The computerized trace is still recognizable, but has lots of jitter and noise which will look terrible once engraved, so I do have to trace at least part of it by hand.

FYI, this is what happens when I don't ink, and then try to vectorize. It produces a recognizable image, but the lines are not sharp enough for engraving, and certain areas that should be more detailed are just muddy and hard to see.

VbLQqr9.png

Screenshot+from+2013-11-15+20%253A36%253

Here is what you get with proper inking and shading. I know, in some ways the old one looks cooler, but this is more what I want to feed to the laser.

The Little Guy has lost some of his mischievousness!   :( 

And St. Joseph has a 'why me' look that I really like!  

Mary needs a cup of coffee... send her over my way...

They are actually very good, ARFink!

I've designed up a new Christmas ornament. It's more or less how I like it now. These will be going in my shop as soon as I can, and custom text engraving on the backside will be included in the purchase price. I'll be announcing that some time in the coming week.

christmas+ornament.JPG