An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

thimbleberries Learning to Quilt by Lynette Jensen- 144*3=432

Do art books count for the St. Agnes bonus if so I have been studying for my academic competition coming up so here are some books I had lying around the house. Really interesting but thick. I would like to make Rembrandt by Gladys Schmitt my challenge book. I have tried reading this since it sat on my bookshelf for years and no one ever read it. I should have it finished by tonight! it has 657 pages and if I can get the St. Agnes bonus and the challenge book bonus for it, it will be about 3285 pages. I think I found I way to win!!! :evil:

My mom is an art teacher so we have plenty of art books around the house, with lots of pictures too!

Degas by Forge-269 pages times 3=807 pages

I go search for more big books!

I think ARFink would write me off his list of friends if I tried to claim that art was not a creative craft...

Enjoy your big books, Carter....

Wait, where are all of Carter's x3 rules coming from. I thought it was just the YA books named in the other thread?

The Giver--204 x 3

Wait, where are all of Carter's x3 rules coming from. I thought it was just the YA books named in the other thread?

Oh. Embroidery. Idgi.

I finished Rembrandt- 3285 pages in all!

Diary of a Wimpy kid (first 5 books)- 1120 pages

Dues I will catch up to you.

Oh yeah I forgot I reread my favorite series of all time but I shall go suggest them to the Ya first so I can get more points!!!

Good question, DTA!   What Carter is doing is suggesting a creative solution to trying to catch up with you and ComingHome.   And it is well within the rules.  There are SEVERAL 'bonus points' offers available and they CAN be combined.  I posted this just after the last update on pages (and repasted it in below)

A Crafty Reader could, in theory, get all the points for this scenario:  

A YA book on weaving or art (which are crafts, so eligible for both YA book credit if posted on that list of potential YA books we could read.... AND the St. Agnes bonus)...IF designated as a CHALLENGE book could rack up a TREMENDOUS amount of points because the offers can be combined!

In theory, one could get the 3x YA book points, the 3x St. Agnes credit, and 2X for the CHALLENGE BOOK points.  So... if the thing were documented properly one could get for a 100 page book 3+3+2= 8x credit or 800 pages!   

OF course, Carter, the others can play this game too......   :popcorn:

Does this make it clearer?

​============= repeat of earlier info ===================

SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES!!!!

Double Pages are offered for Designated 'Challenge Books' - you can do as many of these as you wish, one at a time -- this can be combined with any other offers!

TRIPLE Pages are offered for ANY of the Young Adult ("YA") books listed on the Phatmass Reading Club Voting List.  You can read as many of these as you wish, one at a time -- and it CAN be combined with any other offers!

st-agnes.jpg?w=300&h=400

A NEW CHALLENGE!

We seem to work well if we have a GOAL!   The feast of St. Agnes is on January 21st.   Agnes was one of the most important martyrs of the early Christian World, and her symbol has always been a lamb.

We are going to help her make a special place for her lambs by reading 80,000 pages by her feast day!    Because we need to increase wool page production, TRIPLE PAGE CREDIT is offered for books by or about Lambs, Sheep, Martyrs, Virgins, or having to do with Sewing, Embroidery, Fabrics or other Crafts... or by or about people named Agnes.      :hehe2:

This should let people find a lot of interesting reading!!!!!    

And you can get creative!   

Here are some I have around the house I could use for credit:

The Lamb Council Cook Book!    :eat:  :eek:

Lamb's Tales From Shakespeare!  (available to download on-line!)   :gameboy:

Embroidery for Home and Synagogue!   :blowkiss:

Baa Baa Black Sheep by Gregory Patrick Boyington   :lame:

Diary of a Hunted Priest (stories of British Martyrs) by Fr. Gerard, SJ   :crazyshoot:

Let us know why you believe your book qualifies when you tell us you will be or have read it!!!

TRIPLE PAGES - now is that not a deal????

============================================================================

Edited by AnneLine

Hey Carter.. if you re-read in this house of Brede.... (previous readings wouldn't count) -- if there are any sections on arts or textiles or such things.... you could get St. Agnes credit..... but you have to read it again by the 21st!

I'm thinking about re-reading my Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm books... lots of crafts & textiles and SHEEP!!!! in there!!!!  Yup, I will add those to my list and aim for that St. Agnes Credit myself!

Do you plan to read ALL the books in your new avatar?????   :eek:

AND -- did all of you notice that Carter is NOT resorting to the Boxcar Children or other dubious literature this time.... PROUD of you, Carter!!!!!

I was bored in the summer, but those are great pieces of literature! Don't mess with my boxcar children!

Warrior series finished so beware!

all by Erin Hunter

into the wild-288*3=864

fire and ice- 336*3=1008

forest of secrets- 336*3=1008

rising storm- 336*3=1008

A dangerous path- 336*3= 1008

the darkest hour- 315*3 = 945

The new prophecies (still the warrior series)

Midnight- 336*3=1008

Moonrise- 320*3= 960

Dawn- 368*3=1104

Starlight- 352*3=1056

Twilight- 352*3= 1056

Sunset- 336*3= 1008

Should I go on to the other books in the regular series (not even counting the special edition books I read) or be merciful?

no, mercy is not shown in reading contest! :evil:

Power of Three series (still warriors)

the sight- 400*3=1200

dark river-352*3=1056

outcast- 352*3=1056

eclipse- 352*3=1056

long shadows- 352*3= 1056

sunrise- 352*3

Omen of the Stars (still warriors)

The fourth apprentice- 368*3=1104

Fading Echoes- 368*3=1104

Night Whispers- 368*3=1104

sign of the moon- 368*3=1104

The forgotten warrior- 384*3=1153

the last hope- 400*3=1200

Dawn of the Clans (still warriors)

The sun trail- 352*3=1056

Thunder rising- 352*3=1056

special editions:

skyclan's destiny- 528*3=1584

crookedstar's destiny- 528*3=1584

Bluestar's Prophecy (my favorite one in the series)- 560*3=1680

Firestar's Quest- 544*3=1632

Yellowfang's Secret- 528*3= 1584

Tallstar's revenge- 544*3=1632

I read all of these during my Christmas vacation from school. There are still more out there so beware!

You do know you gotta do the reading DURING the challenge, right?

And if you wanna claim 'em as YA books, technically you should add them to the voting list on the Book Club thread as possible books for consideration....?

And if they are about/by something that will qualify for the St. Agnes challenge, you need to tell us how they meet that challenge.

All of this is do-able, but you don't get those points without some work!   :)

OK, I won't mess with your boxcar literature.... but it is fun watching you S-tr-eee-ttttt-chhh yourslef into a new and more adult shape, too!

(they won't admit it, but your first place contenders are proud of you, and I am proud of ALLLLL of you!!!!!!)   Me too!!!!!

ChristinaTherese

But it seems like just being able to add books to the book club thread and then claim 3x credit isn't fair at all. It might be slightly within the rules of the game, but it doesn't seem to fit the spirit. Can we appeal and say that you can't add books to that list anymore and then claim credit? Because they weren't put down to be voted on. They were put down solely so that Carter could get triple points. Enough people have voted already anyway that it just doesn't make sense to add anything new. I mean, what are the odds of it getting picked anyway? Not much. Which means that Carter just took that bonus, said "I can get bonus points if I put this on that list for voting," put it on the list because of this and not because of the whole point of the list, and then said that she'd read a whole slew of books. And, yes, that bit about reading DURING the challenge. Did the challenge start when you posted it, or when the whole competition began? Because that can make a huge difference too.

But, I repeat, can we appeal and say that you can't actually add books to the list now that voting has begun unless you actually want people to vote on it for the book club?

But it seems like just being able to add books to the book club thread and then claim 3x credit isn't fair at all. It might be slightly within the rules of the game, but it doesn't seem to fit the spirit. Can we appeal and say that you can't add books to that list anymore and then claim credit? Because they weren't put down to be voted on. They were put down solely so that Carter could get triple points. Enough people have voted already anyway that it just doesn't make sense to add anything new. I mean, what are the odds of it getting picked anyway? Not much. Which means that Carter just took that bonus, said "I can get bonus points if I put this on that list for voting," put it on the list because of this and not because of the whole point of the list, and then said that she'd read a whole slew of books. And, yes, that bit about reading DURING the challenge. Did the challenge start when you posted it, or when the whole competition began? Because that can make a huge difference too.

But, I repeat, can we appeal and say that you can't actually add books to the list now that voting has begun unless you actually want people to vote on it for the book club?

That.

I kinda feel like we're just making up stuff now. I don't care if I win but I don't even know what the rules are anymore. I just like reading.

I read this between December 20-January 8 somewhere in there since I read them during Christmas break.

One of my reasons for adding it to the list was to get some more credit, but also I love those books and some people don't come onto this thread

Caliber:  First Canon of Justice by Sam Sarkar  (144 pages)

Modern retelling of Arthurian Legends set in the American West in the 1800s.  Great graphic novel.  Also quotes Bentham on law and justice.

Oh. My. Goodness.

The Book Thief -- 578 (x 3?)

That was one of the best.

I just got home from seeing my mother in Tennessee and it is really good.  Obviously have not finished it, but am really glad to know about this book!!

Yeah,like Christina says, it seems like the rules are getting murky and it is kind of killing the spirit of the whole thing for me. I'm just going to do challenge reading for me and post at the end of the month.   So...on a better note.  I am almost finished with my St. Thomas theology book but read the third chapter where he summarizes the whole ST in about 150 pages.  Gaaaaa. I'm cross-eyed now.  I ordered St. Thomas' own Summa of the Summa from an Amazon marketplace seller in my own state.  Hopefully this one can get to me!