An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Happy New year from the West Coast of the USA!

WOW, lots of reading going on!  Will get it all counted up at some point later today or tomorrow.

I would think fan fiction counts.  Anyone disagree?

Coming Back - I LOVED Fr. Christopher Jamison's Finding Sanctuary!  What did you think of it!!!!!

xTrishaxLynnx

With everything else I have going on I think the only thing I'll be reading is my daily bible chapters. I'll update as I finish each book, but I think with the Feb. 2 cut-off and only 4-5 chapters a day, it probably won't be very many. Though I suppose if I were to rearrange the order in which I read the books, I could get quite a few done...

I have also been reading some Church documents. I think we had established that those will count, though, had we not?

Well, I think you should plan your Bible Reading accordingly, Tricia!!!!  ;)   hehehe

And include page numbers unless you want me to just use the ones in my own bible...depending on foot and margin notes and typesize, your mileage may differ CONSIDERABLY.  ;)

Yes, each document of the Documents of Vatican II counts as one book -- and some are shorter and some are longer.

I'll even throw in book status for each section of the Catechism (I'm nicer toward the start of the new year... don't ask for this in December! :paperbag: )

I wish everyone a wonderful year of renewed reading pleasure!

Aiming for next book count tomorrow so we get ALL the New Year's day readers!

:bible: :bible: :heart: :bible: :bible:

Oh... in case any of you are interested -- there's a Phatmass Book Club reading group starting on a different LameBoard thread -- for Young Adult books.  We're in process of selecting potential books, so check it out.  I'm thinking maybe we should give a bonus to those who participate in that book - maybe triple pages or something (because after all, you'll be doing some discussing, too!)

Thoughts?

If you have a favorite YA book, be sure it gets on the list of possibles.... and vote for your favorite(s)... we'll be doing selection around Jan 6th!

Ancilla Domini

Three Men on a Bummel - 372 pages

(It was really disappointingly stupid. :bounce:)

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Star Trek The Fall:  The Poisoned Chalice  by James Swallow  (384 pages).

A darning indictment of America's the Federation's dark actions in the name of security.   In the wake of an act of terrorism, the war hawks gather and try to push the Federation into war with Iraq with a power that had nothing to do with 9/11 the worst act of terrorism in Federation history.  The President Pro Tem begins using Executive Orders to undermine the democratic process and order the military Starfleet to carry out illegal acts against U.S. Federation allies, including drone attacks cyberwarfare against a Federation founder and the deployment of ground troops on the sovereign soil of its ally Pakistan, Yemen, Djibouti, Andor without permission.  This includes putting together special operations teams which answer only to President Bush Obama Anjar and circumvent the chain of command, all the while, the media is manipulated to spin the case for the invasion of Iraq the Typhon Pact.  Meanwhile, some of these shadow warriors begin to have second doubts as the suspects they capture, are not given access to their lawyers, and are sent to a dark site in Greece, Romania, Egypt, Syria, Israel, etc. the Klingon Empire to be tortured to death  be persuaded via enhanced interrogation techniques.

The Armenian Church: A Brief Introduction. By Hratch Tchilingirian. 31 pages including notes that I read minus starting the introduction on page 5 would mean I read 27 pages.

I'm done!!! I finished all 1,382 pages. It was rather anti-climactic.

In the epilogue it shows who married who and what children they had. Then the Count drones on about his theories of historical analysis for a bit. The end.

I'm so glad I finished it though. Hurrah!

.......................................... :winner:  

CONGRATULATIONS

MAGGIE!!!!!!

.......................................... :winner:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTEf_caCa2M[/media]

and WHAT will you read next?????

Edited by AnneLine

Catholicterp7

Elisha's Bones 331 pages (I love this book!!)
Out of Control 330 pages
Paper Roses 378 pages
The MacKinnon's Bride 314 pages (sadly I can't recommend this at all because it is very descriptive in it's love scenes )

Vulkan Lives by Nick Kyme (416 pages)

Vulkan, Primarch of the Salamanders Legion has been captured by one of his fallen brothers.  Time after time, he is tortured and killed.  Unfortunately for Vulkan, while his body may be immortal, his mind is not, and it is in the mind that the torture is the worst.  Meanwhile, his scattered sons are trying to stop the Word Bearers Legion from unleashing the denizens of the Warp/Hell upon an innocent world, while a shadowy Cabal uses another immortal to hunt for an artefact of immense power.

Well... we have over 41,000 pages read between us.... and I'm preparing the final count for Epiphany later tonight.

Anyone have more books they want to document, get them in by Midnight Pacific Daylight time (9 hours from now).

Does anyone have any books in progress they want to document as 'challenge books'?    

Know anyone who might want to get in the fun?

reading1.jpg?w=300&h=165

collaborative-effort.jpg?w=233&h=300

SInce we've OBVIOUSLY met the Epiphany challenge of 35000.....

read-books-150x150.jpg

Wanna try for 50,000 by the Solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord, Sunday 12th????  That's about a week... and school hasn't started yet.....