An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Haven't had much time to read over Advent and Christmas, but am up to Page 17 in "Jesus of Nazareth" by Pope Benedict (its about the third read I think).  And I am labouring with my secular novel which is a bore, so I will put that aside. Will do my best up to New Year's Eve 12 midnight.  Is that ok?  Will post and report back to what page I have read to midnight NYE.  Should be able to read most of rest of today (load of ironing finished) - Sunday 29th December 2013 1.36pm.  And all being well can read much tomorrow and possibly even on the 31st.  Do my best.

How close are you to a gift for Our Lady on her Feast?  This is my first attempt at joining in and I'm not really au fait on how things are done.

BarbaraTherese, you should try listening to Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth on tape. That is what I am doing and it is SO much better than reading it. It feels more like a conversation or intimate lecture (with our Papa Emeritus!!!) and really makes it come alive. I tried reading it before and it just overwhelmed me.

BarbaraTherese, you should try listening to Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth on tape. That is what I am doing and it is SO much better than reading it. It feels more like a conversation or intimate lecture (with our Papa Emeritus!!!) and really makes it come alive. I tried reading it before and it just overwhelmed me.

Thank you very much for the tip - and I know what you mean by "just overwhelmed me".  Unfortunately I don't have the equipment I don't think to listen to a tape, unless it can be done by computer somehow.  I have computer and TV only. It is very slow going for me reading the book and at times I am tempted to just give up, it is so 'technical' and often -  i.e. for scholars and theologians - but I will continue to plod through the book, hopefully get back into it again tonight.  It's 5.42pm here on Sunday 29th and I still have the garden to water (quite warm here today).  No reading done to now, despite good intentions.  If hell is indeed paved with good intentions, I'm home and hosed.

PS My sons call me a "technological dyslexic".  All I can do really is touch type.

How would one go about getting a tape and what sort of equipment would I need to play it?  Are tapes expensive?

I have been able to download the electronic audio book from my local library and listen to it on my computer. I still refer to audio books as books on tape (cassettes) as that is how I remember them from when I was little. Times have definitely changed since then and I'm not that old!

It has been a wonderful "companion" while I am either knitting or working on my quilt.

ChristinaTherese

I have books in progress and finished, but I'll wait to say them. I like real keyboards.... Oh, and one of those books might be a challenge book, if I decide to make it so when I post it here.

Cartermia, ComingBack and Ancilla Domini... good for you on all your reading!  And, Way to go, Carter, on landing In this House of Brede!!!!!!

BarbaraTherese, we are THRILLED to have you join us.   And books on tape are a WONDERFUL thing to have going on when you are doing work around the house.  You can also find some 'read' on Youtube, and on something called 'Librivox' -- you play them on your computer!!!!!

We don't have a lot of rules -- we make 'em up as needed as we go.  And mostly we just have fun and encourage each other.   It is astonishing how well this works!!!!!

But... just so you feel like you have some idea of how this works....

Since it has been a few weeks since we re-ran these, here are the basic guidelines for how this works:

=====================

You can count any book you have read during the period between and including Advent and Candlemas (Dec. 1, 2013 - Feb 2, 2014).  Deadline is midnight in YOUR time zone -- this is an honor system,  If you started a book BEFORE Advent, you can count all the pages if you finish it during the challenge.

As with the original Summer Reading Competition guidelines from Byz, you need to specify the NAME OF THE BOOK and the AUTHOR, and if you want to count page numbers, the number of pages.   We will note the first, second and third winners in both number of books and number of pages categories.

AND THIS TIME.... we are offering a BONUS for 'challenging books' --hoping to encourage people to try a book they have been putting off because it is too hard, too thick, in a second language -- whatever would challenge you.  You can designate ONE BOOK AT A TIME for that designation... and double count those books and pages.   Let us know why it is a challenge for you!  We want to encourage you!!!!   You also can switch your challenge book if necessary (some people found they needed to align with a deadline, or couldn't get hold of a book).   

If you are listening to an audiobook, that will count -- we will accept the page number count as for a copy of the same book on Amazon. 

:) :bounce: We're also throwing in a few extra challenges to keep us motivated -- currently  32,014 pages by January 1st (in honor of Mary, Mother of God) and 33,000 pages by January 6th (Epiphany).  I am sure we can find a book box somewhere to bring with us when we go visit the Baby!!!!   

Some people really push themselves to be a 'top producer' and the rest of us push ourselves to read more than we would have without that nudge!

AND we tend to have a lot of fun doing it!!!!

===========================================

Going up to bed soon...... and will take my book with me!!!!!!

Good day/night everyone!!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Oh... and I am officially changing my 'Challenge Book' from the C.S. Lewis Time Trilogy to St. Therese' Story of a Soul, study edition (459 pgs).  

I am just finding the CS Lewis is not working just before bed.... and I HAVE to get the St. Therese read --including some of it for a mid-January deadline!!!!!  So.... yup, it is the best kind of a challenge!

Still keeping the CS Lewis on the list, and it WILL go back on the Challenge List when St. Therese has finished burying me in rose petals!

:congrats:    :giveup: :congrats:   :giveup:  :congrats:   

Edited by AnneLine

Not The Philosopher

I lost interest in the Ellroy book I was reading, but managed to read 138 pages.

I did read the entirety of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - 607 pages

I'm towards the end of my reread of The Man Who was Thursday. I'm guessing I'll finish up later this day.

Made a lot of progress with City of God.

The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the Visions of Ven. Anne Catherine Emmerich can be added to the works in progress.

Star Trek:  The Fall:  The Crimson Shadow (352  pages) by Una McCormack.

The best Trek novel I've read all year.  It follows events on Cardassia and the fate of a certain tailor turned ambassador that fans love from Deep Space Nine.  McCormack really makes you root for Garak, and even for the original characters she introduces.

Star Trek:  The Fall:  A Ceremony of Losses (352 pages) by David Mack

The Andorian reproduction crisis is nearing the tipping point.  If not fixed within a year, the Andorian race will become extinct.  Dr. Julian Bashir forsakes his rank and becomes a fugitive in search of a cure.

Jesus of Nazareth 400 pages (x2 since this was my challenge book!)

Off to find another audio book since my quilt isn't yet finished.

Ok by my count which might be slightly off we have 31,252. I think we are in good shape to reach (and exceed) our New Year's Eve goal. Especially since others have mentioned they have books they have finished but not yet posted.