An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Ancilla Domini

The Guardian by Dee Henderson, 275 pgs.

The Protector by Dee Henderson, 322 pgs.

The Rescuer by Dee Henderson, 344 pgs.

You haven't, by any chance, ever read anything by Dee Henderson, have you? :hehe2:

Spindle's End, by Robin McKinley, 422 pages

The Life of Faustina Kowalska, by Sister Sophia Michalenko, 278 pages

The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove  (561 pages)

General Robert E. Lee has just lost his right hand, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and it has become apparent that the armies of the Union will win by attrition alone, if nothing else.  Then he receives a telegram from Confederate President Jefferson Davis, that he is to meet with some men from Rivington, NC.  The Rivington Men offer him a new weapon for his armies and as much ammunition as they need, it's called the AK-47.   The South manages to win the Civil War, with Lee accepting Lincoln's surrender at the White House and forces the Rivington Men to share their secret...

Good Lordy, BG, I literally did a double-take and tweeked my neck at the first line of that synopsis.    Sounds like one would need to know the REAL civil war history & characters to appreciate all the plot twists!

Hmmmmm..... MIGHT just go live-trap that book to read AFTER St. Therese.  I really need to start doing my homework. :paperbag:

I guess as my penance I should admit that I have just completed what had to have been one of the SADDER Star Trek Next Generation books that I have had the misfortune to read.  There were moments, and touches that made it worth continuing... but the rest of it was.... drivel.  :(   THAT will teach me to neglect my homework!!!!

And my Christmas Cards :paperbag:   Gonna get those out.... STILL gonna get 'em out....

Anyway, gonna chunk up the list of books in a little while, and then we'll see where we are!

Chrysophylax

You haven't, by any chance, ever read anything by Dee Henderson, have you? :hehe2:

How did you know?!!!

;) Actually, I have been reading a lot of her booksrecently because they are well written and worth re-reading, and I just recently bought two of them, had two more given to me for Christmas, and picked up three at the library. So...

I'm finally back on my regular reading spree, so you all better watch out! :bounce:  Haha!

Uh oh.   OK, Chryso, I know you are a fast reader, so you and ALL THE REST OF YOU ---  I'll take any book put into this thread by..... midnight Pacific time (6 hours from now) into this set of read pages.  

That should let you get another 3 or 4 books done, Chryso....

:heart: :bible: :bible: :bible: :heart:

Deus te Amat

So, I don't have a page count for the fan fic. Would it be fair to take the word count and divide by a thousand?

Deus te Amat

yup!

Cool beans.

Okay, so the reason I haven't really posted in the last week is because I've been obsessively reading the entire Harry Potter based "Dangerverse" fan fiction (just the main story -- look it up if you're interested), and I think I like it more than the original story. Everything just comes together more neatly and makes much more logical sense. It was most excellent.

Anyway, the author is still writing the final book, but I've finished everything that has been written so far.

It is five books in total -- a total of 1,699,919 words, so should we just round it up to a nice even 1,700 pages? 

I feel like I ran a marathon. Finished yesterday and, for the first time in a while, was so sad to do so. 

Deus te Amat

I just looked it up because that seemed like a very small number for the amount of reading I had been doing -- it seems that there are 250 words to your standard novel page. 

So, it's up to you Anne Line, but I might have read 6,800 pages in a week. :|

I'll let you figure this one out. ;)

Chrysophylax

Well, this one only took me two hours or so, but I really should have gone to bed two hours ago! Sigh. I think my priorities are a little messed up!

Before I Wake by Dee Henderson 381pgs

And that is the last of the Dee Henderson books for a while now I think! I have plans tomorrow (Or later today technically) so I won't be back to haunt you guys until the evening. See ya!

Good GRIEF you two like to make life difficult for the LLAMA, don't you!   And there I was, being tickled by Baby Jesus, and EVERYTHING!!!!!!

:eek:  Dta, your eyes will fall out!!!!  ok 6,800 pages it is..., in 5 volumes.  :eek:

Congrats, Chryso, I knew I could count on you to slide into home before midnight!

Gonna do that count first thing in the morning.... kinda tired tonight, OK?  But anything in after this point goes into the next count.

Even LLAMAS have LIMITS!   :)

OK, A to C readers.....  need a few people to go in and vote in the Phatmass Book Club Lameboard thread.  Selecting a YA book to start in February.  It's IceNine's threaad, but we need a few more people to vote... please?

Thanks!

I will offer TRIPLE points on any YA book any of us read that is listed in that thread that is read during this competition!!!!!!   That will give a nice head-start to anyone who wants to partake in that discussion AND get some activity started in IceNine's book club.

And am I a nice fire-setter or what????

I finished it Anneline!!! I read it two times to does it count for quadruple points since it was my bonus?

Anyways In This House of Brede was 672 pages. I really enjoyed it and am grateful you suggested it. Do you have any other books for me? 

Saw all of that, and yes, you can get quadruple points!!!   Wow!   Talk about ECONOMY OF EFFORT!!!!!

Well.... hmmmmm.... books that Carter might like...

You'd probably like.....  Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy also by Rumer Godden.  But a very different book!   It's about the Dominican Sisters of Bethany.... who have a very unique charism - allowing women with a 'past' - ex-prisoners, ex-addicts, women who might not be a good candidate for a more 'normal' community to have a chance at religious life.   A comparable (and very good!) community in the US is a community 'in formation' but approved by their bishop as an 'association of apostolic life' - the Community of the Resurrection.   This is a fascinating book!!!!!

You might like Brother Petroc's Return, by 'SMC'

You might like The Nun's Story by Kathryn Hulme (although some people don't like this one, I think it is an excellent read!)

Perfect Joy of St. Francis (Felix Timmermans)

If you want some non-religious life books....

Christy by Catherine Marshall 

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman  (easy reading and fun!)

Centennial by James Michener (if you like long ones!!!!)   (I bet you'll love the sections about the Levi Zendt....)

Mila 18 by Leon Uris (A novel based in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising during WWII)

I'll think about some others -- any one else have ideas for Carter?  She's just starting to explore fiction intended for adults!

(and we need to keep her from reading more Baby Sitter's Club books!)