An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Read Ring of Endless Light, 356 pages.  I was turned on to Madeleine L'Engle when I was in grad school in North Carolina and she was an influence in my conversion to Catholicism at that time (even though she was Anglican).  I knew her cousin, also named Madeleine, who was a nun at the Sisters of St. Mary, an Episcopal convent in Sewanee, Tennessee (where I am/was? an associate).  They are Benedictine.  Sister Madeleine went back to nursing school when she was in her 60s and said that all the young people loved her because she would ask all the stupid questions that they were afraid to ask.  She was a really neat women and I have a potholder she made for me (don't use it as a potholder!!).  

Whoo, finally found what I knew was here (my house is a mess).  I would like to do The Knitting Way:  A guide to Spiritual Self-Discovery by Linda Skolnik and Janice MacDaniels as my St. Agnes book.  I bought it from a bookstore that was sadly going out of business.  It has 226 pages.  

Whoo, finally found what I knew was here (my house is a mess).  I would like to do The Knitting Way:  A guide to Spiritual Self-Discovery by Linda Skolnik and Janice MacDaniels as my St. Agnes book.  I bought it from a bookstore that was sadly going out of business.  It has 226 pages.  

Cooo!    Our first fluffy lamb!   

Sheep.jpg

http://www.chemknits.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

Edited by AnneLine

I shall win this contest, or I shall die trying...

Ideally, compete against yourself, Carter.... DTA may be a little hard to catch in pages...

but you might be able to get past the other two, or get a 1st in numbers of books.  GO for it!

I was thinking about playing fair and not reading any challenge/YA books, but when Carter states her challenge so nicely.....

:evil:

Just finished Bridge to Terabithia on Scribd.  Amazon says it has 208 pages.  Was on the YA list.  I have never read it before and I am very glad somebody listed it.  Thanks!  Ripped my heart out, but wonderful book.

Anneline, love the sheep.  I can't knit well and mostly do "production" kind of work.  I make prayer shawls for people (most of them for a domestic violence shelter) and am kind of in "production" i.e. quick  mode.  I do crochet and really simple knit patterns.  One of these days, I want to knit other stuff, but I seem to have some kind of direction to do these shawls and so I do. I know it sounds like I read all the time.  I have a torn peroneus brevis tendon in my right foot and I want it to heal without surgery.  So when I get home from work, I take off my boot thingy, prop up my foot, and read or knit or crochet or hang out on the computer.  House suffers.  If I don't vacuum, like tomorrow, I can make yarn from what the dog has shed.

I was thinking about playing fair and not reading any challenge/YA books, but when Carter states her challenge so nicely.....

:evil:

Yep.  

Carter has given me more books for my "to read" list than anybody else, though.  I got some from her from the summer reading competition thread.  I want to read "The Book Thief" next, which I now know about thanks to her.  

We love you, Carter.  But we can read ever so fast, too.   :saint2:

Yep.

Carter has given me more books for my "to read" list than anybody else, though. I got some from her from the summer reading competition thread. I want to read "The Book Thief" next, which I now know about thanks to her.

We love you, Carter. But we can read ever so fast, too. :saint2:

And we've been doing it longer. That means we're better. :p Edited by Deus_te_Amat

And we've been doing it longer. That means we're better. :P

HAHA.  Maybe.

If only I didn't have to do stupid stuff like go to work..... Although, amazingly enough, part of my job at work now involves being a proctor for a class our new hires have to take online.  I sit there and make sure they don't cheat.  It's almost a day.  So this week I just brought stuff in and read.  It was heaven.

HAHA. Maybe.

If only I didn't have to do stupid stuff like go to work..... Although, amazingly enough, part of my job at work now involves being a proctor for a class our new hires have to take online. I sit there and make sure they don't cheat. It's almost a day. So this week I just brought stuff in and read. It was heaven.

Jealous. I Can't read at work, and I work long hours. How will I ever find time to read?!

Jk. I don't have a life, so I read when I'm not working.

Now you three play nice or I am going to send you to bed WITHOUT your books!   ;)

ComingBack, seems only fair to give you the page from which the Little Lamb came -- it includes directions for making him!

http://www.chemknits.com/2011/02/little-lamb.html

And now I am gonna get a nap in, and I don't wanna hear you three squabbling about who is First!   You know what Jesus said about that!!!!  ;)

Firebrand -- Gillian Philip -- 403

It is advertised as the next hunger games. It is not. Also, anti-Church in parts. I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

And in the spirit of things....

Betsy Tacy -- Maud Hart Lovelace -- 150

I will let you decide whether that qualifies for the YA rule though. ;)