An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

I would like to change my challenge book to Thomas Aquinas: Theologian by Thomas F. O'Meara, O.P.!!  I finally made it down to my library to see what they had.  I have read the intro and really love (and understand it).  I am still reading Opening to God and it is wonderful to read and ponder but not exactly a "challenge" read the way this Aquinas book is (like I can read about 15 pages an hour!).  Go back to work tomorrow so my count will go down.  Also working on a prayer shawl for somebody that I need to get finished.  

I am reading War and Peace by Count Leo Tolstoy. It is 1,382 pages long. I have read 1,250. Moscow has been burnt and the French are retreating and consuming horse flesh. I am going to get this book done if it kills me!!

We are Happy to have you with us Maggie -- NEVER too late to join!!!!

But.... whooo!!!  QUICK, Maggie ---

Designate War & Peace as your challenge book -- when you finish it, you can claim DOUBLE PAGES!!!!!!

I read War and Peace as an eighth grader... bad idea. I don't remember a thing. :|

I also have been stuck with an aversion to Tolstoy ever since -- a pity, since I think I would like him.

Anywho, way to go Maggie!

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

Yeah, and

Maggie, I'm officially designating that for you as an official Challenge Book --

WAR & PEACE by Count Leo Tolstoy

:crusader: and  :buddies2:

Maggie, you said you have been trying and trying and TRYING to finish it... to me it makes the criteria.  

YOU GO , MAGGIE!!!!!

:cheer:    :winner:  :bible:  :cheer: :bible: :winner: :cheer:

Edited by AnneLine

hahaha thank you!!! I can use all the encouragement I can get!!! I first started reading it 5 years ago and made it half way through and then lost heart... Tolstoy was taking the characters in an entirely wrong direction...

... now I have read past that point and I see he did a 180 degree plot switcheroo and is headed back in the direction I wanted all along! Oooo that trickster!

ChristinaTherese

I do read things other than comic books. Really. And I'm not mentioning any until I have a real keyboard to do it with again. But since this is my mom's book and I'm not taking it back to school with me, I'm mentioning it now:

The Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics, selected and edited by Art Spiegelman and Françoise Mouly (approx. 330 pages)

ETA: It's old stuff: Little Lulu, Little Archie, Melvin Monster, Donald Duck, Denis the Menace, Captain Marvel, The Three Mousekeeters, Supermouse, and more. Great stuff.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

Finished A Little Princess 186 pages. (I also finished my quilt!)

Now moving onto An Introduction to the Devout Life, this might have to become another challenge book for me!

Will do a count later today to see where we are, but I think we HAVE met the Jan 1st challenge, and are well on the road to Epiphany!!!!

And I found this great picture for us, but it won't load!!!!

So.... check this link -- you'll know which picture!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tidels.babyjesus

I guess Baby Jesus DOES want us to read to Him!!!!

YAAAAAY!   CARTER MIA!!!!!!   I hope you like it after all the drama getting it!!!

I'm still chunking through the books I had, but I did finish another one that was almost done and looking for a moment of fame!

So short a day : the life of Mother Marie-Rose, foundress of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, 1811-1849

276 pages!

it was a good book.  I had started it on a retreat, and was happy to find a used copy.  I was educated by the Sisters of the Holy Names, and I like their foundress a lot.   It gave me a good perspective of life in their community, and the challenges of founding a community in a mission territory in the early to mid 1800s.  Surprisingly modern in terms of their experiences as they started out.   It also helped me to see how different they were from our time period... much more of an emphasis on rigid spirituality and physical mortification.  BUT it was her way to holiness.    She does inspire me, but I think she would probably view God and her own body differently in the early 2000s.    :)

Finished:

Triskell Tales, by Charles de Lint (a Christmas present!), 538 pages

Finding Sanctuary, by Abbot Christopher Jamison, 182 pages