An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Hi everyone, and a Blessed Sunday!

Well... it's becoming clear that the desktop computer will not be resurrecting without Divine assistance.

So... I'm gonna have to recreate the spreadsheet.

Will get to that later today or tomorrow and post current stats.

That gives everyone a chance to get their updates on books read in as well!

If you get it in my Midnight Pacific Time today (that's 12 hours from now) it will get into this update.

I've been doingn some reading myself, and will post an update in a little while!

Have been home with a bad cold and read and slept all day.  Finished:  Dorothy Day:  Selected Writings, 371 pages.   

So... to document my reading before the midnight deadline...

StarTrek Next Generation - A Fury Scorned, Pamela Sargent  and George Zebrowski, 288 pages

Had its moments... but i wouldn't recommend it.  Some parts were kind of interesting from a philosophical viewpoint, but the story line Kind of circled, circled, circled and limped in for a landing... and well, I've definitely read better....

Anatomy of a Murder, Robert Traver, 25th Anniversary Edition, 488 pages

Wonderful read - a bit graphic for its time of writing (1950's) but tame by today's standards... but still an EXCELLENT read.  HIGHLY recommended

ChristinaTherese

I just finished The Secret Garden, also by Francis Hodgson Burnett. 358 pages. An excellent book. I think it was supposed to be a children's book, but it's just really good.

And now that I've spent the long weekend reading I think I'm back to just my school reading. If that counts I might try to add it up at the beginning of February. Or maybe just give you a continual running count. I don't know.... I might not bother at all.

I could also take the LOTH credit you have. I'm pretty spotty with the Office, but since I try for all of the hours, it should come out close to right.

Maggie's Place, building hope

319 pages

It is a history of the founding of the group I am serving with this year. There are some pretty funny things that happened along the way.

Maggie's Place, building hope

319 pages

It is a history of the founding of the group I am serving with this year. There are some pretty funny things that happened along the way.

I would like to see this book.  I only ever look at Amazon.  Who publishes it?  I remember I looked up Maggie's house when you mentioned it on your thread.

Ancilla Domini

By the way, I have been waay too busy recently, so the only time I really get to read is in bed at night. You should probably just scratch me off the competitors list. :unsure:

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Nope, we won't let you go!  NONE of you!   We love you and we are ALL in this together!

All of us have slowed down, and we need to get ourselves back walking in synch!

walking_in_sync_by_mucosplay-d5frauf.jpg

Now THAT is a scary image.... I'm thinking more of this:

people-reading-books-o.jpg

And... I had a HUGE amount of stuff i had to get ready for my Secular Order meeting last Friday... and more than a few all-nighters in prep... .and have been playing catch-up in every possible area since then.  Sorry, I haven't been able to be around much myself last few days!

But getting caught back up... ESPECIALLY on sleep!!!!!!

cotton-tapestry-throw-cat-sleeping-books

And... sigh... the computer with stats in it ... I am pretty sure it just isn't gonna come back... :cry:   RIP.

Can't do it tonight, but will try to reconstruct the stats lists tomorrow night.  

Haven't heard from a few others for a while.. come back,we miss you!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Sorry I have been preparing for my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. I am playing polkas for them! Look up TOO FAT POLKA on youtube.

I've been super busy. They have kept us running all day here for the past week. Therefore not much reading has been done, unless you count the training binder (can I count that? We read through all of it!)

Thank you, ComingHome.  I do think my desktop computer is flatlining.....  :cry:   It was an old friend, and it will be missed!

Good to see so many checking in!!!!!  Sounds like we are all super busy... yup, challenge for ALL of us is keeping up some reading in the midst of real life!

TT, yes you CAN count a training manual if you are reading it!   :)   We allowed that last summer.   Make a reasonable guess about the pages if they aren't paginated....  If it is a binder, check the page count for that size binder and double it -- double sided pages.... and estimate how full the binder is.

On the computer front, I guess I will have to replace desktop.   Maybe I can still find a windows 7 computer and won't have to (horrors) deal with Windows 8..... :ohno:

And I have the Win 7 lappy, which I am getting more comfortable using..... but boy it does odd things when I least expect it.   And each time I do something odd, I can't figure out what I did that did THAT!

So.... replacing all other Challenge books from necessity...  

Idiot's Guide to Laptops.   :(    (I hate computer books... definitely a challenge book for AnneLine) 

Didn't get a chance to check the backup equipment yet, so I am holding a tiny hope that the A to C Reading Challenge thread might have been backed up... last summer's was for sure, but it would be WONDERFUL if all or some of this is on the backup... so send good thoughts to the backup equipment, please.....)

One way or another, aiming at getting the stats to you tomorrow.

Edited by AnneLine

ChristinaTherese

If it's not on the backup, is there any chance that if you took it into a computer place (like Best Buy's Geek Squad) they would be able to recover data for you? I don't know.... It's just an idea.