An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

ChristinaTherese

I'm not going to claim full LoTH credit.... Maybe partial though. Like 50-75%. I've not been that good, and then I've basically dropped it entirely these last couple of weeks. I do like it, but it just doesn't fit my life right now all the time. Over breaks it's good, but during school.... I dunno.

I'm not going to claim full LoTH credit.... Maybe partial though. Like 50-75%. I've not been that good, and then I've basically dropped it entirely these last couple of weeks. I do like it, but it just doesn't fit my life right now all the time. Over breaks it's good, but during school.... I dunno.

So.... you wanna claim....

50% credit?     200

66% credit?     250

75% credit?     300

Your call!!!!

Way to go, Tricia!!!!!   that will be worth 318*3 or 954 when you are done!

How about the rest of you????

Sisters of the East End by Helen Batten - documentary/fiction thingy about the Anglican Sisters of St John the Divine who lived and nursed in the East End of London in the 40's and onwards.   312 pages.

Stumbling on Happiness Daniel Gilbert  398 pages

The Thing, Why I am Catholic by GK Chesterton 184 pages

50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know  by Ben Dupre, 310 pages.

Death Comes to Pemberly by PD James 352 pages

Are you adding the LOTH? I have no idea how many pages that would be but I pray the whole LOTH most days so..........

Oh, and I am doing an online philosophy course with lots of texts and excerpts to read but I have no idea how many pages.....started on 2nd Jan and it's ongoing.

Unveiled - The Hidden Lives of Nuns. Cheryl L Reid.  330 pages.

I am sure there is more, I am an avid reader.....let me look about the room a bit, there are books everywhere.

What Does It All Mean - A Short Intro to Philosophy by Thomas Nagel   112 pages.

Memoir Writing for Dummies 364 pages.

What Is 360 degree Feedback  by Mark Miller  40 pages.

Amish Values for Your Family by Suzanne Woods. 192 pages.

There, I think that's it.

I think I will claim a 50% LOTH credit as well. I have a book in progress and I will see if I can get it finished. I think we can do 100.000!

ChristinaTherese

I think I'll take 50% for LOTH. I know I've done more than that (all the offices for a few weeks at least), but I'd rather claim less than more.

Also, I finished A Distant Prospect, so I think I'll claim the 610 pages that Amazon lists.

And now I have A Tale of Two Cities and The Fault in our Stars waiting in the wings. I think I'll take The Fault in our Stars first.... But I probably won't finish either before midnight tomorrow.

WOW!   Maximillion, thank you for rising out of the swamp where you live (saw your prayer request) and reading with us!!!

I calculated that Morning & Evening & Office of Readings and Night prayer is about 200 pages a month during last challenge.  That's a super-conservative estimate, it's probably closer to 300 pages.   But it does add up to a chunk of reading with God and that is worth something!   So... you can figure out how much of that you want to claim, but you're easily able to get 400 pages for Advent - Candlemas (or a percentage) if desired.

I think it can be an inducment to do a more regular praying of the hours.  CT, when I was in school, my spiritual director said it is really hard to get the LOTH schedule to jive with the academic schedule UNLESS one is in an environment where everyone stops to pray it.  (That's why St. Dominic had his friars do sung office, BTW... to get their heads out of their books!!!!)  :bible: :pray: :bible:

Any books COMPLETED during the period Dec 1 thru Feb 2 midnight wherever you are can be counted.   (And I think almost completed is count-able).   We did decide a while ago, however, that partial books don't count.... because otherwise most of us could claim half of the library of congress!!!  Sadly, because I don't think I'm gonna be able to finish Study Ed of Story of a Soul... :(

BUT I THINK WE CAN DO 100,000 TOO!!!!!!

I've been home from Tennessee for about an hour and have finished my St. Thomas!  Have been going slow and  steady and actually did it!

Shorter Summa, by St. Thomas Aquinas, 412 pages.  This was my challenge book.  

WOW!!!!  Nice!!!!!!    Do you want to designate another challenge?  You got about 30 hours...

you could still make a killing here...

:hehe2:  :coffee: :reaper: :bible:  :bible: :bible:  :reaper: :coffee:   :hehe2:

The only book I'm working on is Fault and the knitting book I was reading for the St. Agnes challenge, which went ploomp.  The knitting book is not hard and is not something I've put off.  I still have to finish Opening to God, though.  Keep putting it down to read other stuff.  I'll consider that my challenge and see how it goes.  About a third of the way through Fault.