An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Ender's Game by Card - 324 pages

Legend by Lu - 336 pages

Champion by Lu - 384 pages

and I will go see if I can find any other books on my kindle or on my shelf....

TheresaMaria and Maximillion, welcome!  

You are like the laborers who come into the vineyard in the 11th hour!  

We're thrilled to have you... but our push is ONLY for what you can read by midnight on Candlemas wherever you live!   (We've been doing this since the start of Advent!)  

So.... we;ll include you and Maximillion and anyone else who starts now in our totals... and you can read as MUCH as you want between now and the end of this contest.  

AND if you are reading something that is tough for you (maybe you've tried to read it or finish it before... and never go it done, or you've been putting off some homework....) you can designate it as a 'challenge book' and count it for 2x credit!  AND if you read the Book Club for Feb book of The Fault in our Stars (see Phatmass Book Club Thread for details) you can claim 3x credit for that!

Whoops... I probably should have seen this thread earlier...
The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare (113 pages)(that was a challenge book for me, I read it once in Grade 7, but I have to reread many of the passages to get the meaning, due to the older language that is used.)

Great!  we'll include it... and if you read other stuff between Advent and Candlemas, let us know!   If you are student, we offered a 'final exam prep reading credit' and now there is a 'new semester reading credit' -- because we know it's hard for students to read other books with school work.

We're just glad you found us... and (maybe!) we'll do another challenge at some point.  We did one last summer, too...

I'm not 100% sure... but I think we did it.  

Including student credit for some people, and including a challenge book I am at an informal count of 100715... but I could have double counted or typed in a wrong number... so keep documenting!

Formal count will be after everyon has a chance to document.....

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

Sylvanna Imbris

Today I read:

A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff  233 pgs

and

Empire of Bones by N. D. Wilson  438 pgs

I liked the first one a lot, it was very sweet. I LOVED the second one! AAH! It was so good! I love N. D. Wilson's books! Everytime I read one for the first time I have to stay up until I finish it, they are just too good! And then I feel all jittery and super excited for a long time after I finish reading!! Literally my hands are still shaking! It might take me a while to fall asleep! I can't wait to read the next one! :woot:

I copied Chryso and read these two books also. The Tangle of Knots book was fun and had cake recipes throughout the book, one recipe for each major character! :cake:

Empire of Bones was also amazing! For a book packed full of action, suspense and frighteningly evil bad guys, this book actually has at its center a very beautiful display of hope and love that (to me) seems VERY Christian. One of my favorite quotes: "To love is to be selfless. To be selfless is to be fearless. To be fearless is to strip your enemies of their greatest weapon. Even if they break our bodies and drain our blood, we are unvanquished. Our goal was never to live; our goal is to love. It is the goal of all truly noble men and women. Give all that can be given. Give even your life itself."

I have a suggestion: Let's not do this for Lent since I am giving up fiction again (and a few other things.) If we did do this I would have to read NON-FICTION people that is a crime against nature. Bad idea making me read non-fiction... never ends up well

Finished:

The Knitting Way:  A Guide to Spiritual Self-Discovery, by Linda Skolnik and Janice MacDaniels, 226 pages.

The Hunt Ball,  by Rita Mae Brown, 339 pages.  This is what Amazon says.  I listened to an unabridged recording (it says) by the author (which was not a good idea in this case), so I am assuming that this is what the page count would be.  It seemed like a lot longer.  I listened to McMinnville and back.

Opening to God by Thomas H. Green, 129 pages.  I had declared this my challenge book yesterday after St. Thomas.

Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, 318 pages (x 3!!)

I use the Monastic Diurnal for prayer but have been somewhat spotty with it since my mom has been so sick and I've been travelling.  Plus 1/2 of each page is in Latin.  I think maybe I could claim 100 pages?  If this does not seem right to you, please don't count it.  

I just saw that we had made 100,000 pages.  That is quite amazing.  Congrats to all and thanks to Anne-Line for keeping us in line and for keeping up with all this reading. 

I am going now to do something besides read!!!!

I have a suggestion: Let's not do this for Lent since I am giving up fiction again (and a few other things.) If we did do this I would have to read NON-FICTION people that is a crime against nature. Bad idea making me read non-fiction... never ends up well

You are giving up fiction for Lent?  How??????  I would go nuts.

Well, I'm still plugging away at Laughing Whitefish and The Fault in our Stars... but I don't think I'm gonna get 'em done by Midnight.  We'll see.... it's just 5 hours away and I have some other stuff to do to... Story of a Soul is DEFINITELY not happening...

I am NOT going to do this for Lent because it is TOO CRAZY for ME to do a count during Lent (too much other stuff happening).  Maybe we could look at Easter to Trinity Sunday or something if there REALLY is interest.... but maybe just see if there is interest in the Summer.  But that's another Volume.... literally!

409-10.zoom.a.jpg

Welcome Sylvanna!!!!!   and yes, Coming Home, you can get that partial credit for the Diurnal (day Hours from the old Breviary, for those who don' know the term).   Last reading challenge I got about 50% done... this time I nailed it.  AND it wasn't for the challenge... but the challenge helped me to set the habit.  One of the nice things about a challenge....

IT IS pretty amazing that about 20 people have read as much as we have.... yup, we should be pleased with ourselves!!!!!  ALL those who participated at any point should be proud.

Back to reading and doing stuff... and I'll give it a few more days to see if anyone else still is finishing up a few more books after the Superbowl ends and/or let the International Date Line catch up with us..... and all the votes to get cast & tabulated....

Look for a final count maybe next weekend?  But feel free to keep chatting!!!!

GROUP PHOTO!!!!!

Book+sale.JPG

Well..... Do I get to count textbook pages as I am trying to work my way through a take home multivariable calculus quiz? I;m very tempted! (Say I prayer I get this done and don't have to stay up till 3 AM! Please!)

ChristinaTherese

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. Can't say it's my favorite book ever, but it could make for good discussion. Maybe I'll reread it or skim it or something and see what I think when I'm not in the middle of a slightly sleep deprived weekend and trying to finish the book for the reading competition.