An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Catholicterp7

Sorry I disappeared! I'm not going to get much farther than I've already done as I'm SUPER busy getting ready to move : (

No I don't think that will work, Carter.   I grant you you read those, they say that counselors can read people like a book... but we won't let them count those 'books' either.   :P  :dontlike:

GOOD TRY, however.   :idea2:

You can get the Student Reading credit if you want...    :love:

I don't know what is the matter with my computer.  The title of the book does NOT have "finished" in it!  I have read the book.  I can't edit without a bunch of posts being called up along with mine.  

Coming Home, I've been having problems with that kind of thing myself.... which browser are you using?  I'm finding for some things I CAN'T use Internet Explorer... and for other things, IE is the ONLY thing that will work properly.

Sheesh!!!!!

ChristinaTherese

I'm using Chrome too, and it's given me no trouble....

Oh, and I'm reading A Distant Prospect and should be done by the end of the competition.

Just to clarify, the end of the competition is midnight our local time (whatever that is, on the honor system) on Feb. 2, right? As in, reading done on Sunday until midnight counts?

Da browsers are driving me CRAZY!   I have several websites that I visit regularly (Summit Dominicans, for example) that WON'T work properly without IE, and others that won't work properly unless I am NOT using IE (Phatmass).   GRRRRR!  I think it is some incompatible upgrades to a flash program or some such.  Idunno but it is a P A I N!!!!!!  I've been having a lot of the same kind of problems you had with the Welsh book, ComingHome.

:crazy:

And... if you liked the Welsh book, you might like Journey to Carith by Peter Thomas Rohrbach and/or Springs of Carmel by Peter Slattery.....  I'd be curious to know what you thought of the Springs of Carmel vs. The Carmelite Way as a short intro to Carmelite spirituality & history.... the Rohrbach book is about 50 years old but is still considered one of the better researched books on the Discalced Carmelite order up thru time of Vatican II (was written in about 1963)... but get one of the modern reprints and read the INtro because they have revised early Carmelite History in light of more recent historical and archeological research, so some of the very early sections on the order are now considered to be inaccurate... and they now stress the LACK of division between the O.Carm and O.C.D. order (and correctly encourage people to use 'O.Carm' rather than 'Calced' when referring to the ancient Order of Carmelites (vis a vis the Discalced or Teresian Carmelites).

:pray:

AND as far as the end of the competition....

Absolutely, you got the time right... we have a ROLLING closing deadline of midnight (i.e.,, END OF DAY) on Feb 2 (i.e., between Feb 2 and Feb 3) WHEREVER in the world you are.

It seems the fairest solution to our literally world wide group!   I'll give everyone a few days to get in their final totals as of your Midnight, and then I will post the final numbers maybe the following weekend?  Does that seem fair?

Does it seem fair to you all for me to give the 'student reading credit' to all those who got the final exam credit last December?   (Except for BG... you don't have anything to read for final exams... yet.)  If you wanna claim your prep for semester reading (and as someone who preps a class, I know it is a LOT of reading!), just document it for us...

I'm getting close to done on Story of a Soul and Dancing White Fish....  :bible: :bible:

Student credit for me please. And I finished Romeo and Juliet. I didn't care for it but I didn't think I would in the beginning.

Romeo and Juliet - 96 pages

This World We Live In by Pfeffer - 252 pages

Allegiant by Roth - 544 pages

Confessions: The Private School Murders by Patterson - 448 pages

I might finish a few others by the Sunday but we will see... :evil:   :p

I'm ready to claim the 'Liturgy of the Hours' for Advent to Candlemas.  Very pleased that this committment has resulted in an almost perfect run....  and a well-established daily habit of prayer, even on weekends!   Pray that I continue it!!!!!  550 Pages!!!!

Laughing Whitefish - well done period courtroom drama by the author of Anatomy of a Murder.  RECOMMENDED.  246 Pages

Perfect Joy of St. Francis - A beautifully written biography of St. Francis.  Obviously a lot of it was drawn from the Little Flowers of St. Francis (stories told about him by his first friars) and it shares the same winsome approach to Francis... but beautifully captures his spirit.  RECOMMENDED.  280 Pages

Still chunking away at St. Therese' Story of a Soul, but not sure if I will make it... .gonna try!  Jt is still my challenge book, but we'll see!!!

AND....

JUST GOT IN THE MAIL the book club book - The Fault in our Stars by John Green!!!!!   It's worth 3x credit if I can get it read by Sunday midnight, and I'm goonna try!!!!!!!  318 pages (x3 if can do it....)

And I think I have some partly completed books around the house... may dig 'em out & finish 'em up!

Come on... we can do this!   ONWARD to the summit!!!!!