An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Yeah, we'll see, but thanks for the idea ChristinaTherese.  It's been acting odd for a month or so, so I did a full backup at that point (thank God!) so I know I have the older stuff.... the stats for the A to C competition and some of the more recent stuff are more iffy.  It was SUPPOSED to be doing an automatic backup each week... but it had been getting spotty about doing its reporting... so I won't know if what WE need is in there till I bite the bullet...

... and I have been procrastinating.... and super busy, a bad combo.  AnneLine does NOT like computers.  :(  :ohno:

Pray for me on both counts!

I don't think spending more $$$ on this guy is the way to go... probably time to just buy a new tower for it... and move forward.  Probably the less expensive option.

BUT... I am sad that I have lost all my progress (for the SECOND time) on Plants vs. Zombies.... yup, priorities....

Edited by AnneLine

It's Finally finished!!! Finished in honor of Pope Francis on this the feast day of St. Francis de Sales I finally finished reading The Last Crusader! HOORAY!!!

And..... It was amazing! Louis de Whol's books are always incredibly inspiring to me! I'm blown away! 495 pgs. x 2 = 990

Wow, it actually feels like it was much more than that just because it took so long for me to get into the story. Once I did though..! I read those last 300 pgs today.

Sigh. I don't understand what it is about certain books that makes them difficult! This one is almost as long as the last crusader was, but I finished it just fine!

The Lost Island of Tamarind by Nadia Aguiar    436 pgs

That's too funny, Chryso, I totally know what you mean.

I had hoped to get to the stats today, but several unexpected things came up and I couldn't get to check the backup.

I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow, but may end up being Sunday.

Some days I just feel more like a limited human than others.....   but that's how God made me, so I'm not complaining!

AND, well, I did read as much of Laptops for Dummies as will be helpful.  When I pulled it off the shelf (and it was DUSTY, figuratively if not literally) I found out two things:  1) the book I had is called Laptops for Dummies Quick Reference and it is 208 pages.  That was the good news.   That and I learned a few tricks.

The bad news is... I've been procrastinating with said book for way too long... and since it was written in 2006... and my laptop was born 7 years later... uh.... well.... a lot of the info in it doesn't have anything to do with my current beastie.   :doh: Most of what it tells me is how to drive XP and windows software from that era... but that was a LOOOONG time ago in computer years. :deadhorse:

So... I read about 1/2 of it, and realize that the rest of it isn't worth reading, because it is like reading recent science from a 1911 encyclopedia (yup, have one of THOSE here, too!).... so I am NOT going to claim it for page credit, as I won't be finishing it.  Sigh. :giveup:

BUT I will have to go looking for the next generation of this or a similar book.... so we'll see what I can find.    :sos:   :idontknow:  :help:

Hum de dum...

The Book of the King  by Jerry b Jenkins & Chris Fabry    277 pgs

I would like to name my next challenge book: Paradise Lost

Dear friends,

I am going to do a bit of selfish promoting right now for a friend of a friend. Selfish only because I loved this book so much that I want everyone else to experience the joy of it too.

This is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/A-Distant-Prospect-Annette-Young-ebook/dp/B00GNHRIPY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is my review:

[This book] is about an impoverished young girl and her journey to riches. I do not mean these in the traditional sense of the words. She is not materially poor, not really, but she is poor in spirit. She is broken, and does not know how to ask for help. Her mother is dead, she is crippled by polio, God does not (it seems) answer her prayers, and, to avoid more pain, she has hardened her heart to those who love her most.

To cope, she poured herself into the things that make sense -- mathematics and music. These loves open her heart just enough for a friend to slip through, and her life will never be the same again.

I lived Lucy's journey as she lived it. [The author] made her life so real. I laughed and I cried, I was angry and surprised, I hated and loved WITH her, and while she lived, I remembered. It healed bits of me, bits that I did not even know were broken, and it gave me hope.

[The author] clearly has lived what she has written, and her vibrant writing displays her experience. I have never read music described so vividly and with such understanding, nor have I empathized with a character so deeply. Lucy's life is one we can all relate to, and Lucy's journey to wholeness can heal a bit of brokenness in us all.

Enjoy, for this book is a song of love -- a music that you will never forget.

It is a great new work of Catholic fiction. If you know anything about growing up Catholic, learning about Catholicism, or the personal journey to holiness, you will love this book. The kindle version is only five dollars for a limited time on amazon, and if you want to read it and money is an issue, let me know via message and I would love to help you out.

Thanks for reading this. /endspam.

Thank you for the advert!   Sounds like a great read, and thanks for sharing it.

AND... it's good to see you back!

We should put you down for reading that, yes?

And... Computer grumpycat AL finally made herself check what was in the backup.  Good news is that it was backed up on 12/3/2013, so at least I have all the SUMMER reading thread (and the excel chart used last summer).  Bad news is that 12/3 was BEFORE I designed the chart used for the A to C thread... and the autobackups that SHOULD have taken place DIDN'T take place.... so I will have to recreate the spreadsheet for this challenge.  Sigh.

BUT at least I have a pattern.  I hope to get it done by tomorrow... maybe even later tonight.

Prayers from my nerdier readers and others are GRATEFULLY accepted.

And let this be a reminder warning to all of us... when did you last check if your auto-backups are doing their thing????  :nerd:

Good news is.... reconstruct is proving to be fairly easy!   :winner:

Thank GOD last summer's stats were in there!   :pray:    

AND I thank GOD for BACKUPS!!!! :photo:

Should have finished reconstructing the database by tonight, and be ready to start documenting stuff since Jan 7th at that point.

So......If you want to get more books or books in progress documented during this count, please post them before 11pm PDT tonight (i.e., 8 hours from now).   

ANNE LINE has finished:  The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (208 pages).  

I enjoy Dorothy Gilman books when I just want a bit of a shot-in-the-arm of encouragement.  Mrs. Pollifax is a most unexpected spy... :ninja: and she is creative and totally does things that no REAL spy would do.... with wonderful results!   :congrats:  She makes me feel more confident.  And creative.  And it is just a fun series!    If you want to try them, start with 'The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax'  -- but they are just for fun, and not intellectual in the least!  

In progress - Laughing Whitefish by Robert Travers

(more fun reading... hey, I'm reconstructing a data base!  I need a little playtime!)

And now I gonna fix a meal for me & Mr. AL!!!!! :eat:

Edited by AnneLine

Hum de dum...

The Book of the King  by Jerry b Jenkins & Chris Fabry    277 pgs

I would like to name my next challenge book: Paradise Lost

YAY!!!  I studied Milton in grad school!!!  When you get time, read C. S. Lewis' Preface to Paradise Lost. 

I listened to the unabridged version of Angel Time by Anne Rice.  Amazon says it is 386 pages. I have never listened to books before but have been doing so on my trips to Tennessee to see my mom.  It really does help!!  I also read Gypsy Girl by Rumer Godden, 176 pages.  

Dear friends,

I am going to do a bit of selfish promoting right now for a friend of a friend. Selfish only because I loved this book so much that I want everyone else to experience the joy of it too.

This is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/A-Distant-Prospect-Annette-Young-ebook/dp/B00GNHRIPY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is my review:

It is a great new work of Catholic fiction. If you know anything about growing up Catholic, learning about Catholicism, or the personal journey to holiness, you will love this book. The kindle version is only five dollars for a limited time on amazon, and if you want to read it and money is an issue, let me know via message and I would love to help you out.

Thanks for reading this. /endspam.

I read the preview and bought it!!  Yack!! You all are going to be the death of me LOL!!!  It seems the kind of book I can read and worry about my mother at the same time!  Thanks for the recommendation. 

We need our DTA.... even if she is inspiring ComingHome to evil.  :evil:   

We need ALL our reading Phamily!!!!!   :buddies: :buddies: :bounce: :buddies:

I read the preview and bought it!!  Yack!! You all are going to be the death of me LOL!!!  It seems the kind of book I can read and worry about my mother at the same time!  Thanks for the recommendation. 

It will probably make you cry.

I am not sorry.