An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

I am going to bed. This is not kid talk anymore. Kids make no decisions. 

Oh I almost forgot Diary of a Wimpy kid book 8 Hard Luck- 217 pages

I love you all!   :heart:   I have a headache and I am hungry.  NOT a good combination for decision making!   And I'd like to see what Chryso thinks, too.

I want to do what is fair, and also what is fun.  We should be able to do this.

Diary of a wimpy kid sounds just about my style right now...

...unfortunately I have to do some Secular Order paperwork instead... anyone mention ROOT CANALS???? ... I'd prefer that....!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Well, the reason I looked at the YA thread before the book club got started was to see if I wanted to read any of these AND because of the triple points.  As a result, I have read 2 books that I might not have read otherwise and that are now on my list of favorite books---The Book Thief and The Bridge to Terabinthia.  So that served a purpose--at least for me. I think that the St. Agnes idea is good but only if people can find books that they can include on that thread.    I do think that the "competition" is getting crazy and I almost asked, "Well, could we define what is meant by READING a book?"  

I tried to edit the post, and typed up this whole thing, but then was told I did not have permission to edit.  Sigh.

I am really enjoying my knitting book which has a chapter on knitting patterns, mathematical theory, and patterns in nature.  Ties into my work with St. Thomas!    I would recommend keeping this challenge if everybody can find something they can fit into it.

The competition part, though, is turning kind of crazy.  If someone is extremely determined to win-- and it is making it not fun anymore for some of us and perhaps even for that person--then why don't we just declare that the person has won and the rest of us can read, discuss books, note down numbers and maybe have a contest for the "Runners-up" LOL?  

I think you two have made a very good argument.... and I am thinking of accepting the correction.  

I'd like to hear from Carter and Chrysophlax as the two people who would be most affected if we take off those 3x credit points.  

I do think that DTA And CT have made good points.

Carter and Chryso... you ok with my just going back to credit for 1 challenge book at a time and perhaps 3x for the book that is selected for the book club (which honors that there is work to be claimed for participating in the book club in Feb.)?  

Unless I am mistaken, that will NOT affect any scores documented in the records through now... it will just mean we won't include the additional points at all.

This is all ok by me. I just finished requesting just about all of the listed books from the library, but even if I don't get extra credit for them I still enjoy the reading. Honestly, I just want to get in more reading of anything that grabs my attention as a way to relieve stress as college starts back up for me tomorrow. And actually this solves a question I had too. I was searching for House of Gold in the library system and instead found a book called The House of Gold which is a western and I was going to ask if I could get extra points for that, too! :P Oh well! (Actually, I'm sorry I didn't see more of the reading club post earlier, I have some great suggestions!)

I would like to report

The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan,  455 pgs

I was really excited about this book! I was 100% positive this series was finished, and then he wrote another one! Hooray!!!! And of course it was excellent!

and then for good measure, I had to go back and re-read the first in the series:

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan,  249 pgs

Hi, everyone,

Well... I will do an update as soon as I can.  However, when it rains it pours.  The desktop computer that had the stats in it has been having some problems 'waking up' when it gets turned off.... and it turned itself off two days ago to do some updates.... and so far hasn't woken up.   I have the laptop to use, but not the excel chart that does the stat calculations.  :cry:

I probably can redo my stat making system if I have to, but I'd rather give it 24 to 48 more hours to see if it will wake up.... I really don't have a spare 4 or 5 hours this week.  I'm sure you all understand...

When I do it, in response to the feedback from the users, I'm going with what seems to be the consensus of most of the Readers. I am just going to claim the 2x points for the CHALLENGE books, and I will let give the 3x credit for whatever book gets selected for the Feb reading club.  I will pray a rosary for the intentions of anyone else who got bonus points that aren't going to be counted.... which seems to be some kind of a benefit.  Anyone who wants to join me on praying a rosary for them and the users of this thread, seems to me we can all use some extra prayers....

Now I'm gonna go fix lunch... and maybe my computer will smell it and wake up!

:heart:   :eat:    :pray:   :bible:

That is great.  The best thing about the 3x thing, though, is that I found 2 great books and am getting to talk to some great folks.  I have also rediscovered "In this House of Brede."  I remembered having read it, but when the citation for the number of pages was given I knew that I hadn't read a book that long.  So... it must have been one of the Readers' Digest condensed books that people were always giving my parents and which they never read (but I did).  So I went to the library and found "Brede" and it is MUCH longer than I remembered, so will have a go at it again.  I remembered having liked it a great deal when I read the condensed version, so am looking forward to the real one. 

Anne-Line, I hope your computer has not fallen asleep permanently.

Oh, I hope not too, ComingHome.  It has been doing this now for about 4 weeks.... but it is not at all consistent about it.  When it is 'on' it operates just fine,.... as long as it doesn't get turned off.  Unfortunately, the Antivirus and Microsoft updates do an automatic off/on if the computer is on when they have down loaded.... so I find out the hard way that we got some updates!

Fortunately most stuff is backed up.... but I don't know if the most recent version of the book stats was backed up.... I am pretty sure it will at least have the simplified version of the counting spreadsheet I am using for the Advent-to-Candlemas count... but it almost certainly would NOT have the most recent additions.  If it doesn't have the A to C chart backed up I will cry, because that was several hours of work to make the changes... and I won't have anything to work from except... this thread.   :cry:

On the other hand, almost all my other work is backed up.  But it is a PAIN!!!!!!   So pray for it wake up.... I need this and some Secular Order stuff from it.  YES, computer, we are talking to YOU!!!!!

Wake-up-300x215.jpg

And In this House of Brede is a WONDERFUL book -- and while the Readers' Digest version was good, the full book is ever-so-much better!!!   So WOOOOT!

Edited by AnneLine

The cocoa recipe would be excellent.  I am getting a cold, which explains why I have felt so bad the last few days.  Cocoa would definitely help.  All I've got are some of those awful envelope mixes thingies.