An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Hm.... well... I see what you mean, DTA and ChristinaTherese and Coming Home.

With three of you saying that, I am tending to agree.   My logic had been that that loophole will close tomorrow, but yeah, I think maybe we need to get rid of the extra points for adding books TO the YA thread.

Carter, this hits you hard, and I am sorry, but I think they are raising a valid point.  You certainly can claim them as book-books, for sure.

Are you OK with the following things remaining as options:

CHALLENGE BOOKS - worth 2x

St. Agnes Books - worth 3x if read between now and Jan 21

YA Books that were ON the list as of the start of balloting being worth 3x?   (or does this credit need to disappear entirely?)

Please respond... and I think you are right, in retrospect.   :paperbag:  (I got too excited!)

Embearassed-bear_SXsXT_r.jpeg

Edited by AnneLine

Well, I'm still here, and I think that the YA books should stand with 3x credit, but the list should not have expanded once the balloting had started (if that makes any sense). Since I'm not really  voting, I haven't kept up with that part of it.  If you go this way, maybe just a clarifying post regarding which books are on the list.  And whatever happens,  THANK YOU CARTER for The Book Thief.

That is pretty much what I am suggesting as well... What do the rest of you think  

That would mean that THESE books would be eligible for the YA credit-- which was what was originally offered on the YA Book Club as well:

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

Happy Epiphany! (well, close thereto!)

It is time to vote for our first book.  

Between now and the 15th at midnight Pacific Time, you may vote for the THREE (3) books you would prefer we read first.

If we have a clear winner, we'll select that book.  

If we don't have a clear winner, we'll do a Second Ballot among the top contenders.

If we don't have a clear winner at that point, IceNine will get to select the first book as Thread-Starter.

We'll try to start the first book by February 1 -- or earlier if everyone gets the book faster than that.

We'll try to aim for reading a book a month!

Here's the list of nominees ---- each potential reader can pick THREE!!!!!  You can cut & Paste from the list, too!

Ender's Game (Card)

The Book Thief (Zusak)

The Hunger Games (Collins)

The Giver (Lowry)

Treasure Island (Stevenson)

Jane Eyre (Bronte)

Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)

Martian Chronicles (Bradbury)

The Outsiders (Hinton)

Holes (Sachar)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Lewis)

Bridge to Terabithia (Paterson)

Island of the Blue Dophins (O'Dell)

House of Gold (Bud Macfarlane)

Dark is Rising sequence (Susan Cooper)

A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)

A Wind in the Door (Madeleine L'Engle)

A Ring of Endless Light (Madeleine L'Engle)

Beautiful Joe (Marshall Saunders)

King of the Wind (Marguerite Henry)

Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West (Marguerite Henry)

Banner in the Sky (James Ullman)

Something from the Harry Potter Series (Rowling)

AND the Book Thief and several other books Carter had claimed ARE on that list (and I'm getting curious about this Book Thief book!)

Is this a reasonable compromise????

ChristinaTherese

That sounds fine to me. I'm not really trying anyway, though. But since you had already stated those, I think it would be reasonable to leave them. We don't want to knock things around too much.... However, I am of the opinion that there's just a bit much extra credit going around. Challenge books make sense, but I don't know beyond that. And 3x credit is a bit high. Maybe 1.5x would be reasonable-ish? But I wouldn't change that this time around. You already said it, so let's leave it. I'm just making some comments for next time....

OK.  Valid point.  

I was thinking 3x in honor of the Trinity, actually.....   

But, as I said, AL got too excited!   And it's Christmas!   :)  (through Baptism of the Lord!)

I think the point of this competition is for us to read more, and for us to enjoy reading. For that to work, we have to be able to read what we enjoy and not feel pressured to do differently. A lot of the extra credit options would force people to read stuff outside of their comfort zone, making it a chore rather than relaxation. Not everyone enjoys YA, and crafts?! Poor BJ. How would we define "craft" anyway? Fencing and Smelting are "crafts", and that would bring in almost all epic fantasies -- including the majority of my list. And if this is a friendly competition, it should be fair across the board, including those special people who keep the "Scientific American" on their bedside table. 

Challenge books make sense, because that encourages us to read things we know we should be reading. But to say, "this book that I love that I have read 15 times is my challenge book, and when I finish it in two hours, the next book is my challenge book -- yay double credit for these books I was going to read anyway!" and so on.

I say keep challenge books for things that are actually a challenge, and for the rest, toss the lot.

But you are the rule maker. It's your show, Anne Line, but for me, I am going to read what I want anyway; I don't have to participate here to do that. 

And, thanks for The Book Thief.

I see your point, DTA, and in retrospect, I might have just left it there... but some people really do respond to having something fun to work toward.  

I'm hoping everyone finds something to read that they would enjoy... BG is enjoying his StarTrek novels, for example.... as am I.

My whole logic for the book club credit was to try to get people to go to that thread and start getting some enthusiasm going for it.  No one was voting.

As far as the St. Agnes one, I just thought it might be fun.  I wondered about how to include BG, which was why I did expand it to books by authors with various names, 'crafts' - and I'll interpret that VERY widely.... many things are in the 'crafts' category.... and had planned a 'theo/philo/science/sciencefiction' type credit in honor of St. Thomas Aquinas at the end of the month.  Trying to come up with something for everyone... perhaps I ended up with a lot for no one?????

Do you want me to keep the St. Agnes/St Thomas idea... or scrap those?  Thoughts?

I can also see extra credit for the actual Book Club book, but random books people nominated seems too much -- "the entire harry potter series -- HELLO 20000 PAGES"

I see your point, DTA, and in retrospect, I might have just left it there... but some people really do respond to having something fun to work toward.  

I'm hoping everyone finds something to read that they would enjoy... BG is enjoying his StarTrek novels, for example.... as am I.

My whole logic for the book club credit was to try to get people to go to that thread and start getting some enthusiasm going for it.  No one was voting.

As far as the St. Agnes one, I just thought it might be fun.  I wondered about how to include BG, which was why I did expand it to books by authors with various names, 'crafts' - and I'll interpret that VERY widely.... many things are in the 'crafts' category.... and had planned a 'theo/philo/science/sciencefiction' type credit in honor of St. Thomas Aquinas at the end of the month.  Trying to come up with something for everyone... perhaps I ended up with a lot for no one?????

Do you want me to keep the St. Agnes/St Thomas idea... or scrap those?  Thoughts?

Like I said before, this is your show. If everyone else is okay with the way you are doing things, than keep on keeping on, but I am rather fond of logic and order, so...

If you keep expanding these rules to try to include everyone in the credit, then every book that everyone has read would receive the extra credit. All the books I have read have some form of "crafts" in them, but I don't really want to receive credit for pages I haven't read. It doesn't seem fair.

If you are trying to create these credit opportunities so that people are able to catch up with my numbers, well, then exclude me from the competition -- I don't really care either way, I just figured that if I was going to be reading anyway, I might as well post here.

Again, I think we should receive credit only for the work we have done. anything else (other than legit challenge books and the book club book) is grade inflation. 

On a side note, if people can receive credit for any of the books in the book club thready, chances are that some people will have read the selected book before club reading even begins. Just sayin.

(The Harry Potter one was a legit nomination by Miles/FP.  It is what he put on the list....)

I know, but then anyone who decided to read the HP series would get something like 20,000 pages of credit. That's too much. It's why I think only the actual chosen book should receive credit.

If you disagree, I will stop posting my opinion and just participate. You just have to tell me.

ChristinaTherese

I basically agree with both of DTA's last two posts. And I'm pretty much okay with whatever happens anyway, it's just that some things feel more like Calvinball.

I think you two have made a very good argument.... and I am thinking of accepting the correction.  

I'd like to hear from Carter and Chrysophlax as the two people who would be most affected if we take off those 3x credit points.  

I do think that DTA And CT have made good points.

Carter and Chryso... you ok with my just going back to credit for 1 challenge book at a time and perhaps 3x for the book that is selected for the book club (which honors that there is work to be claimed for participating in the book club in Feb.)?  

Unless I am mistaken, that will NOT affect any scores documented in the records through now... it will just mean we won't include the additional points at all.

Edited by AnneLine

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that took me for ever to do the math for the warrior series I would have just estimated 300 for each book but I thought people wanted specific! Can I get half credit for doing math? Sorry my class has taught me how to complain and I am being greedy. Just do what ever you would like I just read to read, but I am also competive .

ChristinaTherese

Well, since you offered the credit already, I'd almost offer a compromise.... We don't want to be too grouchy over here. ;) (Nah, I'm not really feeling grouchy. Just thinking things were going a little bit far.... But, hey, pointing out problems nicely is what phriends and phamily are for, right? And if you want to compromise or something, I think that would be perfectly reasonable.)