An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

Lilllabettt

as a catholic tomorrow. seriously - I am. Mostly because I will have a black smear on my face and will be forced to explain why I am not going to wash it off.

Faithful Catholic religious observance is not something that is accepted in my living, working and learning circles. I spend time with other Catholics at church, but I don't know any openly practicing Catholics among my neighbors, classmates and coworkers in "real" life. Some have gotten very hostile at the mention of the idea. Others have merely laughed and ridiculed. When these people find out that an observant catholic has been among them the whole time I am guessing they may be some mixture of surprised, embarrassed or pissed off.  I do know of a couple people I expect will be supportive, because that is just their personality.

so please say a prayer for me and join me in hoping I don't ruin my career.

blazeingstar

I know how you feel :/ 

I did that last year and know people thought I was weird and old fashioned and oppressed.  It's super uncomfortable.

PhuturePriest

Balls to the wall

Lillabettt is a girl.

Edited by FuturePriest387

I've always gone to evening mass on ash wednesday so I've never had this problem. I'm probably too much of a coward anyway.

Good luck.

Ancilla Domini

I remember going to baseball practice when I was 11 or 12 with ashes on my forehead, and these kids kept coming up to me and saying, "You have dirt on your forehead." I would just say "I know." Then one of the coaches saved me by saying, "Oh, you're Catholic! I got ashes this morning, too!" :D

ToJesusMyHeart

you got this lillla! i am praying for you. 

"Blessed are you when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. 

[...]

You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house."

I'm pretty sure there will be a priest distributing ashes at work tomorrow.  I'm determined to get them one way or another  :evil:

Golden Years

I went through that last year.  I was so sure I would catch a lot of flak about it at the office but surprisingly no one seemed to care (or else they just didn't notice).  My coworkers are way too self-centered to pay much attention to what I do LOL.  Have a blessed Lent everyone!

HisChildForever

I'm not able to go tomorrow. I have bangs so you wouldn't be able to see the ashes anyway.

PhuturePriest

I'm not able to go tomorrow. I have bangs so you wouldn't be able to see the ashes anyway.

I'm going for the first time in three years. I used to go every year, but the past two I just haven't been able to make it.

Prayers Lilla!  It would be less than good for me professionally tomorrow, given most of my department is "lapsed" and hates Catholicism...but I'm teaching during all the imposition of ashes during the day and will be going to the on campus one at day's end.