An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

Not A Mallard

I showed my friend The Red Shoes a week or so ago and he was kinda blown away by it. I was actually kinda surprised by how much he liked it; it took me a while to grow to love it myself.

​Does a witch try to steal them?

Edited by Not A Mallard

Not The Philosopher

​Does a witch try to steal them?

​That's in the prequel trilogy.

Not A Mallard

​That's in the prequel trilogy.

​The trilogy where the shoes were silver until the end of the third one?

Deus te Amat

I watched An Affair to Remember last night. 

ALL THE FEELS

I especially liked the grandma and the giant statue of Our Lady. 

• 3 weeks later...
Not A Mallard

King Kong (1933)

Despite some offensive stereotyping, the adventure itself is pretty exciting, and the special effects for their time are quite impressive, though the stop-motion effects aren't up to par with Ray Harryhausen (who was inspired by this movie). King Kong himself looks pretty creepy, but not in a big, scary monster sort of way, but more of in a bad creature design kind of way. Not to mention, I'm surprised at how much brutality got past the censors. I remember more intimate moments between Ann and Kong, something that this movie needed, in Peter Jackson's version, which I now want to check out again.

HopefulHeart

King Kong (1933)

Despite some offensive stereotyping, the adventure itself is pretty exciting, and the special effects for their time are quite impressive, though the stop-motion effects aren't up to par with Ray Harryhausen (who was inspired by this movie). King Kong himself looks pretty creepy, but not in a big, scary monster sort of way, but more of in a bad creature design kind of way. Not to mention, I'm surprised at how much brutality got past the censors. I remember more intimate moments between Ann and Kong, something that this movie needed, in Peter Jackson's version, which I now want to check out again.

​Oh wow, I remember seeing the old King Kong at a local theater when I was 13 or so. I loved it so much.

Tonight I watched one of Greta Garbo's silent movies, Flesh and the Devil. Lots of melodrama in that one.

Not A Mallard

Not to mention, I'm surprised at how much brutality got past the censors.

​After a little bit of research, I see that censors weren't employed yet.

dominicansoul

This is the oldest film I've ever watched. "Wings" circa 1927.  We're coming up on it's 90th anniversary soon.  This was also the very first Academy Award winner for Best Picture!  

And the 1st Oscar went to...

wings-movie-poster.jpg

It's a SILENT film, but don't let that scare you away.  It's not boring at all.  It's funny and thrilling and...and...really quite amazing.  The movie takes you to a time when movies were getting more "advanced" so to speak.  Lots of thrilling stunts that are not CGI!  Most of it filmed at Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio (which holds a special place in my heart.)  You fall in love with the characters as they take you through this story set in World War I.  Get your tissues ready, because you will need them!  Oh, and a very young Gary Cooper stars in a small role :lust:  

Not A Mallard

It's a SILENT film, but don't let that scare you away.  It's not boring at all.  It's funny and thrilling and...and...really quite amazing.  The movie takes you to a time when movies were getting more "advanced" so to speak.  Lots of thrilling stunts that are not CGI!  Most of it filmed at Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio (which holds a special place in my heart.)  You fall in love with the characters as they take you through this story set in World War I.  Get your tissues ready, because you will need them!  Oh, and a very young Gary Cooper stars in a small role :lust:  

​I've had it in my Netflix watchlist for a while.

Ancilla Domini

​After a little bit of research, I see that censors weren't employed yet.

​Pre-code. It's amazing what was allowed in pre-code movies, really. Have you seen Public Enemy, with James Cagney? Talk about brutality.

HopefulHeart

My mom likes Elvis Presley, so for her birthday we watched Roustabout, in which Elvis plays a singer at a carnival. It was good fun.

Not A Mallard

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Much more charming than King Kong. Plus, it's technically the first Ray Harryhausen movie, both the first one that was made and the first one I've seen outside of clips from Youtube and documentaries.

HopefulHeart

Where Eagles Dare (1968) A WWII actioner with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. Very enjoyable.

Our Town (1940) A quiet but endearing film, based on the Thornton Wilder play, about life in a small American town during the early 20th century. A nice throwback to traditional American family values.

Not A Mallard

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

Another Harryhausen flick - not bad. It's also interesting to learn that this, a Hollywood movie, inspired Gojira. My only real complaint is the abrupt ending.