An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

Not The Philosopher

Revisited Vertigo this evening. That's a heck of a movie, and I love the look of '50s technicolor so much.

"You shouldn't have been that sentimental!"

Ohh is it The Gold Rush that has the shoe-eating scene? I have seen that, then! I remember that scene. :P

Yep, it is! The consumption of the shoe is about all I remember from that film, aside from the shot of Chaplin's cabin teetering on the edge of a precipice.  :p Also, that clip of the "eating machine" is probably my favorite part of Modern Times.

Revisited Vertigo this evening. That's a heck of a movie, and I love the look of '50s technicolor so much.

"You shouldn't have been that sentimental!"

I love Vertigo! The ending is just so good. I remember that I audibly gasped at the very end when I watched the movie for the first time.

Not A Mallard

hehe. :P Well, I'm not disparaging LOTR and Captain America/Avengers, because I've never even seen them (only clips of each), but when that's all you've seen, you need to broaden your horizons. ;)

i-see-what-you-did-there-meme.jpg

Not A Mallard

The Circus - Chaplin is funny as usual, but a depiction of a cruel father figure with no redeeming qualities left something to be desired.

I barely remember anything about The Circus, which probably indicates that it was not the most memorable Chaplin film I've seen. 

I watched Of Human Bondage (with Leslie Howard and Bette Davis) over the weekend. It was quite an interesting story. I was tempted to post a picture of Leslie Howard in the "Mansome" topic on Open Mic, since he looks like the epitome of manliness. :p

Ancilla Domini

I was tempted to post a picture of Leslie Howard in the "Mansome" topic on Open Mic, since he looks like the epitome of manliness. :P

Oh, do it! I'll respond to it with a picture of Glenn Ford. :P

Not A Mallard

I barely remember anything about The Circus, which probably indicates that it was not the most memorable Chaplin film I've seen.

It's certainly my least recommendable Chaplin film. Modern Times is the last of his silent features that I need to see.

Not A Mallard

Well, I've seen all of Chaplin's silent features. I didn't think Modern Times was his funniest or most heartfelt, but it was his most complex and clever.

I'm excited to follow my Lenten tradition of watching Ben Hur. It's one of my favorite movies. The story-telling is great, and the ending pulls off the remarkable feat of getting me misty-eyed. (I don't cry easily during books and movies.)

Not A Mallard

I'm excited to follow my Lenten tradition of watching Ben Hur. It's one of my favorite movies. The story-telling is great, and the ending pulls off the remarkable feat of getting me misty-eyed. (I don't cry easily during books and movies.)

That's another one I need to see.