An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

ChristianGirlForever

It is with Doris Day, but I'm not sure about the other guy. Be sure to watch it, however, as it was quite good.

Have you seen Boys Town? It's a really good classic movie about Priest, and better yet it's a true story. To top it off, at the very end of the movie he punches a guy in the face. It's epic.

I saw Boys' Town.  It was quite good.  I wish they still made movies like that.  I really like Spencer Tracy, too.  

ChristianGirlForever

Watched "Pat and Mike" the other day, with Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. They're such an amesome pair. XD

I know it, Ancilla!  I'm not a big Katherine Hepburn fan, but she softened when she was around Spencer Tracy.  It was very sweet---if he weren't married  :unsure: .

My favorite Tracy and Hepburn movies are Woman of the Year and Adam's Rib.  I also loved the moral messages in them!

ChristianGirlForever

It's different, really. If you watch a pro-American movie from the 1940s and a pro-American movie today, there's something fundamentally different in the words and approaches. I can't explain what it is, but there is definitely something different.

Perhaps the difference is that they have removed God from Patriotism.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend I watched a fun comedy called Champagne for Caesar. Vincent Price is quite humorous in one of his non-horror roles.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMNz2cc0YA[/media]

Ancilla Domini

Over the weekend I watched a fun comedy called Champagne for Caesar. Vincent Price is quite humorous in one of his non-horror roles.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMNz2cc0YA[/media]

Oh I need to see this! I love Ronald Colman and Vincent Price! Sounds great. Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh I need to see this! I love Ronald Colman and Vincent Price! Sounds great. Thanks for sharing. :)

Great, hope you enjoy it!  :)

Not A Mallard

I've been watching older Spielberg movies such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. (my favorite of the bunch), The Last Crusade, and Jurassic Park...if that counts...

• 2 weeks later...
Ancilla Domini

I saw The Maltese Falcon recently.  I haven't been more disappointed by a Golden Age Hollywood film.

It's the stuff the dreams are made of...

I really hated that movie. Peter Lorre, though, as always, was absolutely brilliant. I love his outburst against Sydney Greenstreet at the end, when he finds out that the Falcon was fake. He completely loses it and then slinks off to an armchair to mope. Then, when Sydney Greenstreet says he's going to continue his search, Peter Lorre looks up and says in that wonderful voice of his, "You are? I'm going with you!" :P

Really, though, that was such a disappointing movie.

Not A Mallard

It's the stuff the dreams are made of...

I really hated that movie. Peter Lorre, though, as always, was absolutely brilliant. I love his outburst against Sydney Greenstreet at the end, when he finds out that the Falcon was fake. He completely loses it and then slinks off to an armchair to mope. Then, when Sydney Greenstreet says he's going to continue his search, Peter Lorre looks up and says in that wonderful voice of his, "You are? I'm going with you!" :P

Really, though, that was such a disappointing movie.

As I say in my review (the last one on the list), I didn't like any of the characters.  Sam Spade was having an affair with two woman at once.  That would be acceptable if his lifestyle brought about consequences that led to his redemption, but it didn't.

Ancilla Domini

As I say in my review (the last one on the list), I didn't like any of the characters.  Sam Spade was having an affair with two woman at once.  That would be acceptable if his lifestyle brought about consequences that led to his redemption, but it didn't.

I'm so upset you didn't mention the brilliance of Peter Lorre in your review. :P

Once you get some more Peter Lorre movies under your belt, I would recommend watching "The Three Strangers," which stars him, Sydney Greenstreet, and Geraldine Fitzgerald (and Joan Lorring as a secondary character.) I wouldn't recommend watching it before you get to know Peter Lorre, though. It's a very strange movie, and the main reason I liked it so much is that Peter Lorre plays the (extremely unlikely and never before seen) love-interest. Growing up watching his movies like I have, so strange!!

I'm pretty sure that HopefulHeart can back me on this. Have you EVER seen Peter Lorre as a love-interest, HH?

The Maltese Falcon isn't my favorite, though I can't say I hate it. The overall tone of the movie is pretty cynical, which is consistent with its status as a film noir. 

Not A Mallard

I'm so upset you didn't mention the brilliance of Peter Lorre in your review. :P

I said "the whole cast is excellent," and that implies Peter Lorre.

Once you get some more Peter Lorre movies under your belt, I would recommend watching "The Three Strangers," which stars him, Sydney Greenstreet, and Geraldine Fitzgerald (and Joan Lorring as a secondary character.) I wouldn't recommend watching it before you get to know Peter Lorre, though. It's a very strange movie, and the main reason I liked it so much is that Peter Lorre plays the (extremely unlikely and never before seen) love-interest. Growing up watching his movies like I have, so strange!!

I'm pretty sure that HopefulHeart can back me on this. Have you EVER seen Peter Lorre as a love-interest, HH?

Nope, never! Lol I can't imagine Peter Lorre as a love interest. I'll have to keep an eye out for that movie.

Speaking of the Maltese Falcon, does anyone like to watch film noirs of the 40s and 50s? They're typically dark and moody films, with crime and femme fatales. A lot of film noirs show how a single bad choice can lead to a series of unpleasant events, so they have a moral aspect in that way. My dad and I enjoy watching them.  :)