An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

The boxing scene and the whistling scene (when the dogs showed up) had me laughing the most.  It's not that the first half wasn't funny, there was just too much comedy that didn't progress the plot.  I liked the romantic aspect the most.  The ending wasn't bad, I just wanted it to see more of the woman's reaction about [spoiler]her reunion with Tramp.[/spoiler]

Oh yes, the boxing scene is quite funny! I would also have liked to see more about what happened between [spoiler]the woman and the Tramp after they are reunited[/spoiler], but I guess Chaplin thought the subtle, understated way was best.  :)

Hmm.  I was a child when I saw City Lights.  Maybe it's time to try it again.  I love sweet endings to movies.  I'm such a romantic.   :love:

I love romantic endings too! If you want to give silent movies another try, then I highly recommend Sunrise. It's a beautiful silent film. The beginning is dark and bleak, but keep watching and you'll be in for a treat.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnLVMREVA6M[/media]

Not A Mallard

I love romantic endings too! If you want to give silent movies another try, then I highly recommend Sunrise. It's a beautiful silent film. The beginning is dark and bleak, but keep watching and you'll be in for a treat.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnLVMREVA6M[/media]

I'll put it on the list.

iwmprnsdivsdaliusne1.jpg

...before I watch another silent film, a foreign film, and Citizen Kane.

Ooh, Citizen Kane. :like2:  It always amazes me that Orson Welles was only 25 when he made that film.

Not A Mallard

And I haven't seen Citizen Kane yet, but it's a movie that I simply have to see at some point in my life because, well, it's Citizen Kane!

ChristianGirlForever

Wow, HopefulHeart, that was an intense movie! You could have quite a lengthy discussion about the plot and symbolism of the film. Thank you so much. I'll never say silent movies are dull anymore. Sunrise was riveting.

ChristianGirlForever

DON'T SPOIL DON'T SPOIL DON'T SPOIL (without spoiler tags)

Haha! I won't say anything, I promise. :-)

Wow, HopefulHeart, that was an intense movie! You could have quite a lengthy discussion about the plot and symbolism of the film. Thank you so much. I'll never say silent movies are dull anymore. Sunrise was riveting.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I was also riveted when I watched Sunrise a year or so ago. The symbolism is really well-done, especially with the different locations.

Not a Mallard, you have no need to worry about spoilers from me.

Also, let me celebrate my graduation to Chummy Commoner!

2ZMZwj5.gif

ChristianGirlForever

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I was also riveted when I watched Sunrise a year or so ago. The symbolism is really well-done, especially with the different locations.
Not a Mallard, you have no need to worry about spoilers from me.

Also, let me celebrate my graduation to Chummy Commoner!
2ZMZwj5.gif

Comgratulations, Hopeful Heart! Now you can do whatever you like on here. :)