An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

PhuturePriest

I love old movies, but I haven't seen nearly as many as I'd like. One I recall enjoying quite a bit is Please, Don't Eat The Daisies. Anybody else seen it?

Ancilla Domini

I love old movies, but I haven't seen nearly as many as I'd like. One I recall enjoying quite a bit is Please, Don't Eat The Daisies. Anybody else seen it?

Is that with Doris Day and David Niven? I've never seen it. *adds it to her "consider this" list.* 

Edited by Ancilla Domini

PhuturePriest

Is that with Doris Day and David Niven? I've never seen it. *adds it to her "consider this" list.* 

It is with Doris Day, but I'm not sure about the other guy. Be sure to watch it, however, as it was quite good.

Have you seen Boys Town? It's a really good classic movie about Priest, and better yet it's a true story. To top it off, at the very end of the movie he punches a guy in the face. It's epic.

Have you seen Boys Town? It's a really good classic movie about Priest, and better yet it's a true story. To top it off, at the very end of the movie he punches a guy in the face. It's epic.

I've seen Boys Town. I thought it was a great movie. Mickey Rooney, who played the troublesome boy, gave such a good performance.  :)

Ancilla Domini

It is with Doris Day, but I'm not sure about the other guy. Be sure to watch it, however, as it was quite good.

I've seen Boys' Town. I didn't like it. I thought that the message they sent was too much "Be a good American!" rather than " Be a good Catholic." I mean, it's run by a priest, isn't it?

Remember that scene where they're all eating lunch, and Mickey Rooney (I think it's he) asks them what they're doing, and the kid next to him says that they're saying grace, each according to his own religion. Mickey Rooney says he's nothing, and the kid says, "Well you just go right on being nothing!"

PhuturePriest

I've seen Boys' Town. I didn't like it. I thought that the message they sent was too much "Be a good American!" rather than " Be a good Catholic." I mean, it's run by a priest, isn't it?

Remember that scene where they're all eating lunch, and Mickey Rooney (I think it's he) asks them what they're doing, and the kid next to him says that they're saying grace, each according to his own religion. Mickey Rooney says he's nothing, and the kid says, "Well you just go right on being nothing!"

I don't think the message is "Be whatever you want." I think they were stressing that Boys Town is open to everyone, not just Catholics.

The message of "Be a good American!" is quite typical due to the time period, really. It's only expected that a movie made in 1938 would stress patriotism and the greatness of 'Murica.

Not A Mallard

The message of "Be a good American!" is quite typical due to the time period, really. It's only expected that a movie made in 1938 would stress patriotism and the greatness of 'Murica.

Isn't that what American movies are like these days?

PhuturePriest

Isn't that what American movies are like these days?

It's different, really. If you watch a pro-American movie from the 1940s and a pro-American movie today, there's something fundamentally different in the words and approaches. I can't explain what it is, but there is definitely something different.

Not A Mallard

It's different, really. If you watch a pro-American movie from the 1940s and a pro-American movie today, there's something fundamentally different in the words and approaches. I can't explain what it is, but there is definitely something different.

Back then: Go out and live the American dream!

Today:  Go out and prevent bad guys from blowing up America!

PhuturePriest

Back then: Go out and live the American dream!

Today:  Go out and prevent bad guys from blowing up America!

I think back then American superiorism (A professional term I just made up) was in its beginning stages, and we didn't yet have a sense of being better than everyone else. What was instilled was definitely a harmful sort of patriotism that led to today's superioriority complex, but it just wasn't as arrogant and offensive as it is now.

Not A Mallard

I think back then American superiorism (A professional term I just made up) was in its beginning stages, and we didn't yet have a sense of being better than everyone else. What was instilled was definitely a harmful sort of patriotism that led to today's superioriority complex, but it just wasn't as arrogant and offensive as it is now.

In terms of the film industry, 9/11 is a contributor.  Nowadays, it's hard for a big American movie not to feature aliens or terrorists who are attacking America.

Ancilla Domini

I don't think the message is "Be whatever you want." I think they were stressing that Boys Town is open to everyone, not just Catholics.

I understand that they might have been stressing that Boys Town was open to everyone, but once people were inside Boys Town, they shouldn't just tell them to "go on being nothing!" They should evangelize.

PhuturePriest

I understand that they might have been stressing that Boys Town was open to everyone, but once people were inside Boys Town, they shouldn't just tell them to "go on being nothing!" They should evangelize.

The Priest himself didn't say it, so it's not like he was telling people it's okay to be anything you want as it doesn't matter.

Ancilla Domini

The Priest himself didn't say it, so it's not like he was telling people it's okay to be anything you want as it doesn't matter.

He must have implied it in some way, if the kid talking with Mickey Rooney said what he did - he can't have just gotten that out of nowhere.

It's been a while since I watched it, though. I'm merely going by the scraps that I remember from the movie.

Edited by Ancilla Domini