An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

PhuturePriest

He must have implied it in some way, if the kid talking with Mickey Rooney said what he did - he can't have just gotten that out of nowhere.

It's been a while since I watched it, though. I'm merely going by the scraps that I remember from the movie.

He could have gotten that from nowhere just as easily as you got that assertion out of nowhere. I've seen plenty of Catholics and non-Catholics naturally say we should all just live and let live, and that it doesn't matter what religion you are.

Besides, the movie itself is very loosely based off of the actual story, plus the writers are the ones who made that line, not the actor pretending to be a Priest. :P

Not The Philosopher

I kinda want to rewatch Lawrence of Arabia. That movie blew me away as a teenager, and I proceeded to force all my friends to sit through all 3.5 hours of it, but I haven't watched it as an adult. Indeed I even missed an opportunity to go see it in theater two years ago.

Not A Mallard

I just bought a digital copy of "It's a Wonderful Life" in HD off Amazon. B&W version. Gonna watch it with my kids before Christmas!

My avatar approves.

I love It's a Wonderful Life!  Also, dUSt, your City Lights avatar is great!

Pop quiz:  My signature is adapted from a famous line from which classic film?

Ancilla Domini

I love It's a Wonderful Life!  Also, dUSt, your City Lights avatar is great!

Pop quiz:  My signature is adapted from a famous line from which classic film?

Cool Hand Luke! :D

Cool Hand Luke! :D

Yes indeed! I can't eat hard-boiled eggs without thinking about the egg-eating scene from that movie.  :hehe2:

Is City Lights the one where Charlie Chaplin helps the blind flower-lady?

Yep, that's it! My family has a poster for City Lights hung in our dining room.

Ancilla Domini

Yes indeed! I can't eat hard-boiled eggs without thinking about the egg-eating scene from that movie.  :hehe2:

Yep, that's it! My family has a poster for City Lights hung in our dining room.

I've actually never watched that movie. Mea culpa! But I grew up hearing my dad quote from it, so I immediately knew what the quote was from.

Kinda funny story: My history teacher (in an online class) asked a question in class once, and the kid he was asking misunderstood it and answered something completely irrelevant. I typed in the chatbox, "What we got here is a failure to communicate!" and he started quoting the egg scene. XD (My history teacher and I had such a wonderful relationship. XD He and I were the only people in class who knew old movies, so I could always quote a relevant movie-quote and count on him to catch the reference. XD I have tons of quote-stories from that class. Oh, and btw, he was a great teacher and didn't allow himself to get off-topic too much. XD All the kids would come in early to class to chat, though.)

I LOVE City Lights! Such a lovely movie. It's been an age since I watched it last, though. I need to watch it again.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

I've actually never watched that movie. Mea culpa! But I grew up hearing my dad quote from it, so I immediately knew what the quote was from.

Kinda funny story: My history teacher (in an online class) asked a question in class once, and the kid he was asking misunderstood it and answered something completely irrelevant. I typed in the chatbox, "What we got here is a failure to communicate!" and he started quoting the egg scene. XD (My history teacher and I had such a wonderful relationship. XD He and I were the only people in class who knew old movies, so I could always quote a relevant movie-quote and count on him to catch the reference. XD I have tons of quote-stories from that class. Oh, and btw, he was a great teacher and didn't allow himself to get off-topic too much. XD All the kids would come in early to class to chat, though.)

I LOVE City Lights! Such a lovely movie. It's been an age since I watched it last, though. I need to watch it again.

Cool Hand Luke is a good movie. You should watch it sometime.

Your history teacher sounds great! My dad, who homeschooled me through high school, is an old film buff, so I got my love of classic films from him.

Ancilla Domini

Teahouse of the August Moon! I just watched it last night. Has anyone seen it? It . is . awesome.

Marlon Brando plays a Japanese man, (talk about versatility!) an interpreter for Glenn Ford, who plays an American soldier. The movie takes place during the U.S. Occupation of Okinawa -- Glenn Ford plays the American who is supposed to teach democracy to the Japanese natives of the town of Tobiki.

I'd definitely recommend watching it. It's hilarious!

ChristianGirlForever

I love old movies, but I haven't seen nearly as many as I'd like. One I recall enjoying quite a bit is Please, Don't Eat The Daisies. Anybody else seen it?

I have it recorded on the DVR, so I'm going to see it soon.  I love Jack Lemmon and Doris Day, so I'll probably like it.  :) 

When I was a child all I saw were old movies because my father watches them as a hobby.  Also, they are often very clean, so it was considered not inappropriate for a child to watch them.  I had a very sheltered childhood.  :)

If you don't have FMC or TCM, Netflix streams old movies online, FuturePriest.