An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

ChristianGirlForever

Ooh, how exciting! Thank you! :)

Lol. I meant that you can private message now. As far as I know, that is the perk you get from being a "Chummy Commoner." :)

Lol. I meant that you can private message now. As far as I know, that is the perk you get from being a "Chummy Commoner." :)

Lol, ok, I gotcha. :like:

Not A Mallard

Just saw Citizen Kane. I can see why it's considered one of the greatest movies ever made.

...The way the story is brilliantly told by Orson Welles is way ahead of its time.  Not to mention, it has a powerful message about gaining the whole world and losing your soul.

Not A Mallard

I watched Charlie Chaplin's The Kid last night. I thought it was fantastic until the really weird dream sequence at the end. That's the only reason I wouldn't rank it higher than City Lights.

I watched Charlie Chaplin's The Kid last night. I thought it was fantastic until the really weird dream sequence at the end. That's the only reason I wouldn't rank it higher than City Lights.

I remember seeing The Kid several years ago. I liked it a lot, though I agree that the part at the end with the angels was rather bizarre.

Ancilla Domini

My mom and I are organizing this periodic movie night for homeschoolers in NYC (who have only ever watched the Hobbit, LOTR, Hunger Games, and all those Captain America Avengers type things.). We showed them The Third Man in December and we're showing Treasure of the Sierra Madre at the end of this month. :) It's really fun! We'll probably be showing On the Waterfront before the end of the school-year, too. (My mom and I are too big fans of Marlon Brando for us not to show one of his movies. :P)

Not A Mallard

...LOTR...all those Captain America Avengers...

...Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

It certainly is wonderful for those who have only seen Lord of the Rings and popcorn movies to discover the Golden Age of Hollywood, but it would also be wonderful for those who only watch the Golden Age of Hollywood to see Lord of the Rings and the Captain America/Avenger movies ;)

I still have yet to see The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The African Queen (both are Huston/Bogart movies that I want to see). Right now I'm focusing on Chaplin's feature-length silent films. I still need to watch The Gold Rush, The Circus, and Modern Times.

Ancilla Domini

It certainly is wonderful for those who have only seen Lord of the Rings and popcorn movies to discover the Golden Age of Hollywood, but it would also be wonderful for those who only watch the Golden Age of Hollywood to see Lord of the Rings and the Captain America/Avenger movies ;)

I still have yet to see The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The African Queen (both are Huston/Bogart movies that I want to see). Right now I'm focusing on Chaplin's feature-length silent films. I still need to watch The Gold Rush, The Circus, and Modern Times.

hehe. :P Well, I'm not disparaging LOTR and Captain America/Avengers, because I've never even seen them (only clips of each), but when that's all you've seen, you need to broaden your horizons. ;)

Ancilla Domini

I admire your thoroughness in your study of old movies.

Modern Times is a wonderful movie - I don't remember having seen the other two - I may have seen The Gold Rush, but it would have been as a very little kid.

My mom and I are organizing this periodic movie night for homeschoolers in NYC (who have only ever watched the Hobbit, LOTR, Hunger Games, and all those Captain America Avengers type things.). We showed them The Third Man in December and we're showing Treasure of the Sierra Madre at the end of this month. :) It's really fun! We'll probably be showing On the Waterfront before the end of the school-year, too. (My mom and I are too big fans of Marlon Brando for us not to show one of his movies. :P)

That sounds awesome! I would have loved doing something like that when I was homeschooled.

Those are all great movies! I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Chaplin's films are a lot of fun. I saw The Gold Rush years ago, but I do remember cracking up at the shoe-eating scene. :)

Ancilla Domini

Those are all great movies! I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Chaplin's films are a lot of fun. I saw The Gold Rush years ago, but I do remember cracking up at the shoe-eating scene. :)

Ohh is it The Gold Rush that has the shoe-eating scene? I have seen that, then! I remember that scene. :P