An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

Not A Mallard

John Huston

Frank Capra

Orson Welles

​I've seen at least one from each. As for Hitchcock, I remember bits of Vertigo.

HopefulHeart

Can't really say. There's still a lot of old movies that I need to see. I guess Chaplin is my only favorite at the moment, though I'm going on a silent movie binge right now.

Oh yes, I've seen a good number of Chaplin movies. He's a great director!​

Elia Kazan

John Huston

Frank Capra

Alfred Hitchcock

William Wyler

Orson Welles

​Nice choices! I forgot about John Huston. I've seen several of his works. The African Queen is probably my favorite. 

1. The original 3 Die Hards
  2. All Lethal Weapons
  3. Resivour Dogs
  4. Planet of the Apes ( all )
  5. Omega Man ( Charlton Heston )
  6. Soylent Green ( IT'S PEOPLE ! PEEEEEEPOLE ! )
  7. Back to the Future ( all )
  8. Cecil B. Demented
  9. Bill an Teds Excellent Adventure
  10. Adventures in Babysitting
  11. All the Star Trek movies, ( original and STNG )
  12. Red Dawn ( original )
  13. Boondock Saints
  14. Spartacus
  15. Ten Commandments ( Charlton Heston )
  16. The Original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ( only the first two )
  17. Ghostbusters ( an sequel )
  18. All the Indiana Jones movies ( except the recent one )
  19. Star Wars ( all of em, but I wish Jar Jar binks got shot in the head at some point )
  20. all the Vincent Price movies

I dunno why I numbered em, I can't really say one should be at the top of another, I have too many favorites,,, though if we make a list of movies we hate I can officially put who should be at the top.

HopefulHeart

Nunsense, I have heard of King of Kings and would like to see it at some point. Superblue, you have some good films on your list.

I watched the classic Italian movie The Bicycle Thief last night. It was quite good, but so sad.

Nunsense, I have heard of King of Kings and would like to see it at some point. Superblue, you have some good films on your list.

I watched the classic Italian movie The Bicycle Thief last night. It was quite good, but so sad.

​That is just a fraction of the movies I own.

HopefulHeart

Cool, you must own a lot of movies, superblue.

So I recently came across this plan I drew several years ago for a website called "The Teenage Old Movie Enthusiast." :) It was quite amusing. Apparently, I planned to write about a different old movie every week and have some sort of weekly trivia quiz. I never actually created the website, though. Too bad, it might have been fun.

AccountDeleted

​I know it probably sounds silly, but I had this image in my head of what Jesus would look and sound like and Jeffrey Hunter was perfect for me at the time. I know Jesus would have been a Middle Eastern Jewish man, and Jeffrey Hunter is this brilliantly blue eyed American, but for some reason, I really liked him. The movie is really over the top, melodramatic - a product of the times, but when I first saw it, I didn't notice any of that - just the great Jesus.

JEFFREY%20HUNTER%203.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_C

My favorite pic of Jesus is Head of Christ by Richard Hook (AKA Hook's Head or Surfer Jesus) so you can see that I have very white-bread tastes - lol.

885487.jpg

I do love the Jesus pic made from the Shroud of Turin as well, so I guess it just depends on the particular rendition. I'm a hopeless romantic at heat. I'm sure that people of other ethnic backgrounds have their own favorite versions of Jesus too. 

Jesus-Holy-Shroud-.jpg

Not A Mallard

I saw big chunks of King of Kings. I wasn't impressed. I didn't find Jeffery Hunter convincing, and there were so many subplots that it didn't even feel like it was about Jesus.

Ancilla Domini

My family and I watched "Shadow of a Doubt" on Saturday. Ridiculous movie. :P Charlie's (Teresa Wright) uncle (also Charlie), Joseph Cotten, comes to visit her family, and although he seems charming, she has her suspicions as to his...integrity, to say the least. *cue scary Alfred Hitchcock-movie music.*

Anyhow, it was ridiculous. Teresa Wright isn't the peachiest of actresses and she just came across as stupid. Joseph Cotten, of course, was great, as he is wont to be.

All that aside...Teresa Wright's hair? That stuff is flippin' gorgeous! I need it.

teresa-wright.jpg

shadow-of-a-doubt.jpg?w=620

Ancilla Domini

Oh yes, I've seen a good number of Chaplin movies. He's a great director!​

​Nice choices! I forgot about John Huston. I've seen several of his works. The African Queen is probably my favorite. 

I love African Queen. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is fantastic, too.

HopefulHeart

Yay, this thread has been cleansed of lameness. Thanks, dUSt!

I am interested now in watching King of Kings and forming my own opinion of its merits.

Cilla, I actually liked Shadow of a Doubt. It's not my favorite Hitchcock and it is pretty implausible, but I still thought it was interesting and suspenseful.

AccountDeleted

I saw big chunks of King of Kings. I wasn't impressed. I didn't find Jeffery Hunter convincing, and there were so many subplots that it didn't even feel like it was about Jesus.

​You are absolutely correct - this is a very bad movie - but then you have to remember the times. For some reason, melodrama was very popular for awhile, especially in the movies with a 'cast of thousands'. And I can see why you wouldn't like JH as JC - he was very whitebread and over the top. The subplots were ridiculous too. I guess the reason I like it so much is that 1) I do love Jeffrey Hunter (even in Star Trek) and 2) I was an agnostic when I first saw it but it opened me up to Jesus. So that's a good thing, right? Also, because they stopped showing this movie, I never had time to get sick of it! LOL

Not A Mallard

I can see why you wouldn't like JH as JC - he was very whitebread and over the top.

​I didn't even think he was over-the-top. I found him quite under-the-top.

2) I was an agnostic when I first saw it but it opened me up to Jesus. So that's a good thing, right?

​Yup. That's a pretty reasonable reason.