An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

AccountDeleted

​I didn't even think he was over-the-top. I found him quite under-the-top.

Hmmm - interesting. Underplayed or just subtle? 

I find most biblical movies to be a little over dramatic but that doesn't mean I don't like them. JH was just my first JB though, and he will always have a place in my heart. 

Another JC that really got me was the one who played in the film version of JC Superstar. It was a very non threatening way for an agnostic (at the time) to get the whole story and experience of JC. I know a lot of Christians at the time might not have like it, but the music evoked strong feelings in me, especially 'Can we start agin, please.' because at the time I was wondering why I had been so unlucky as to be born thousands of years after JC, so unable to meet Him. I thought that if we could start again, maybe I could be a disciple too. God brought me to Himself in very weird and wonderful ways.

JCS.ht281.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmmm - interesting. Underplayed or just subtle? 

I find most biblical movies to be a little over dramatic but that doesn't mean I don't like them. JH was just my first JB though, and he will always have a place in my heart. 

Another JC that really got me was the one who played in the film version of JC Superstar. It was a very non threatening way for an agnostic (at the time) to get the whole story and experience of JC. I know a lot of Christians at the time might not have like it, but the music evoked strong feelings in me, especially 'Can we start agin, please.' because at the time I was wondering why I had been so unlucky as to be born thousands of years after JC, so unable to meet Him. I thought that if we could start again, maybe I could be a disciple too. God brought me to Himself in very weird and wonderful ways.

JCS.ht281.jpg

Last Lent we watched The Greatest Story Ever Told. I thought Max von Sydow had the right kind of gravitas for the role of Christ but there was something too 'gentle Jesus meek and mild' about him, especially at the beginning. It's not the meekness per se, it's just a bit unconvincing - he was almost too restrained, you know? Plus there was this annoying undercurrent of being like, oh ma gosh, so put-upon and misunderstood.

And THIS Lent we started watching The Bible on Netflix, which is so overblown and reader's-digesty that you just have to suspend belief and go with it. (At least Greatest Story took their sweet time about it and quoted long passages of Scripture.) They spend so much time being all Old Testament and emphasising how cloud-billowingly epic and amesome the messiah will be, and then that guy rocks up... I get that they want to do the whole overturning expectations thing, I just want an epically, awesomely meek and mild Christ, not someone who acts like they wouldn’t be able to change water into tea <_<

Edited by marigold
Formatting and pictures are going crazy this week

HopefulHeart

I haven't watched anything notable lately because of school and celebrating Easter. Guess I need to get my priorities straight and return to my old movie watching. ;)

• 1 month later...
Not A Mallard

I watched Metropolis (the restored version, which I watched on Netflix) last night, and it completely blew me away. It's from 1927, but its set design, visuals, and action sequences are still astounding. Not to mention, it has timeless message about justice and reconciliation.

I watched Metropolis (the restored version, which I watched on Netflix) last night, and it completely blew me away. It's from 1927, but its set design, visuals, and action sequences are still astounding. Not to mention, it has timeless message about justice and reconciliation.

​Its been on my list for years now--high time i get to it...

PhuturePriest

:P

old-fashioned%2B_love.jpg

​I do find it quite intriguing that, as a rule, hate is a lot easier to make last than love. :P

HopefulHeart

I watched The Tingler, with Vincent Price. It was quite fun. When the movie was originally shown in theaters, the seats would be rigged so that the members of the audience felt a tingling sensation along their spines at key moments!

Not A Mallard

I watched The Tingler, with Vincent Price. It was quite fun. When the movie was originally shown in theaters, the seats would be rigged so that the members of the audience felt a tingling sensation along their spines at key moments!

​This reminds me of a joke I once made about movie theaters installing seatbelts so that audiences wouldn't go off the edges of their seats.

Not The Philosopher

I showed my friend The Red Shoes a week or so ago and he was kinda blown away by it. I was actually kinda surprised by how much he liked it; it took me a while to grow to love it myself.