An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

ChristianGirlForever

Speaking of the Maltese Falcon, does anyone like to watch film noirs of the 40s and 50s? They're typically dark and moody films, with crime and femme fatales. A lot of film noirs show how a single bad choice can lead to a series of unpleasant events, so they have a moral aspect in that way. My dad and I enjoy watching them. :)

Oh, yes! It's something my Dad and I enjoy doing, too. :) We like The Big Sleep, Laura, Notorious (not sure if that counts as Film Noir), and many others. He also loves The Maltese Falcon. I'm not a great fan of Mary Astor, so it isn't my favorite.

ChristianGirlForever

I saw The Maltese Falcon recently. I haven't been more disappointed by a Golden Age Hollywood film.

Oh, good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand that movie. I enjoy Film Noir, but this one is too dull for my taste. As I wrote below, I don't like Mary Astor in this movie. She's so conniving and manipulative and it grates on me.

Not A Mallard

Oh, good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand that movie. I enjoy Film Noir, but this one is too dull for my taste. As I wrote below, I don't like Mary Astor in this movie. She's so conniving and manipulative and it grates on me.

It was really the first film noir that I saw, but chances are I might not be a fan of the genre.

Oh, yes! It's something my Dad and I enjoy doing, too. :) We like The Big Sleep, Laura, Notorious (not sure if that counts as Film Noir), and many others. He also loves The Maltese Falcon. I'm not a great fan of Mary Astor, so it isn't my favorite.

Cool! I like all of the movies you listed. (An image from The Big Sleep is in my avatar!)

I recall that I got to see Notorious on the big screen, which was really special. A local theater connected to a museum had a New Year's Eve double feature and showed both Suspicion and Notorious, two Hitchcock films starring Cary Grant. I went with my parents and had a lot of fun. :)

ChristianGirlForever

It was really the first film noir that I saw, but chances are I might not be a fan of the genre.

I would try another one, Not A Mallard. If you like Bogie, The Big Sleep is very good, if you don't mind a confusing plot. The 1945 version explains things a bit better, but the 1946 one is more polished.

ChristianGirlForever

Cool! I like all of the movies you listed. (An image from The Big Sleep is in my avatar!)
I recall that I got to see Notorious on the big screen, which was really special. A local theater connected to a museum had a New Year's Eve double feature and showed both Suspicion and Notorious, two Hitchcock films starring Cary Grant. I went with my parents and had a lot of fun. :)

I love Suspicion, though the ending falls rather flat. I'm a sucker for romance, so I like any movie with a happy ending, but this one didn't make sense. Daphne du Marier was very displeased with what the production code had Hitchcock do with the ending. You probably know this, but he was supposed to have been trying to murder his wife.

The scene in your avatar was a fine moment between Bogie and Bacall. It made me laugh when he told her to scratch. Lol. I also liked the prank call!

It's extra special to see your favorite old movie on the big screen. I remember talking with my grandparents about their having seen all of the good movies when they first came out. My Grandma was so blasé about it. She had a crush on a Robert Taylor. Lol

Not A Mallard

I actually got to see It's a Wonderful Life on the big screen last December! One of the best movies I ever saw in a theater...and ever.

Also, I just watched Charlie Chaplin's City Lights.  I don't watch silent comedy often, but I do savor it.  The first half of this one, however, is filled with too much comedy and too little plot progression, but the second half is filled with heart, and it features the hysterical boxing scene.  The ending left me underwhelmed, but the movie was still wonderful.

Ancilla Domini

I watched the Big Sleep when I was about 6 or so, and I was sooo confused. I remember at one point, Lauren Bacall was taking asleep and I turned to my mom and said, "Is that the big sleep they were talking about?" :P I should watch it again.

ChristianGirlForever

Haha, yes, Ancilla, I would give it another chance, but expect to be confused, still. Everyone finds the movie confusing, but it's still very exciting to watch. I can't recommend reading the book, though. I tried that to see if I would understand the movie better, but it was poorly written and, well, let's just say that I can see why the production code wouldn't allow the plot to be complete!

ChristianGirlForever

I actually got to see It's a Wonderful Life on the big screen last December! One of the best movies I ever saw in a theater...and ever.

Also, I just watched Charlie Chaplin's City Lights. I don't watch silent comedy often, but I do savor it. The first half of this one, however, is filled with too much comedy and too little plot progression, but the second half is filled with heart, and it features the hysterical boxing scene. The ending left me underwhelmed, but the movie was still wonderful.

If that is the movie with the flower girl, then I haven't seen it since I was a child. I'm not a fan of silent films.

I love Suspicion, though the ending falls rather flat. I'm a sucker for romance, so I like any movie with a happy ending, but this one didn't make sense. Daphne du Marier was very displeased with what the production code had Hitchcock do with the ending. You probably know this, but he was supposed to have been trying to murder his wife.

The scene in your avatar was a fine moment between Bogie and Bacall. It made me laugh when he told her to scratch. Lol. I also liked the prank call!

It's extra special to see your favorite old movie on the big screen. I remember talking with my grandparents about their having seen all of the good movies when they first came out. My Grandma was so blasé about it. She had a crush on a Robert Taylor. Lol

The ending of Suspicion definitely falls flat! As you said, it's nice that there was a happy ending, but the darker conclusion would have made a better movie.

Haha the "go ahead and scratch" line always makes me laugh. And yes, if anyone on this thread decides to watch The Big Sleep get ready for a confusing plot. I read somewhere that even the author of the original story was confused about the plot! It's simply a fun and exciting movie.

I actually really liked City Lights. The scene in the restaurant/night club cracked me up. I thought the ending was lovely.

Edited by HopefulHeart

Not A Mallard

I actually really liked City Lights. The scene in the restaurant/night club cracked me up. I thought the ending was lovely.

The boxing scene and the whistling scene (when the dogs showed up) had me laughing the most.  It's not that the first half wasn't funny, there was just too much comedy that didn't progress the plot.  I liked the romantic aspect the most.  The ending wasn't bad, I just wanted it to see more of the woman's reaction about [spoiler]her reunion with Tramp.[/spoiler]

ChristianGirlForever

The ending of Suspicion definitely falls flat! As you said, it's nice that there was a happy ending, but the darker conclusion would have made a better movie.

Haha the "go ahead and scratch" line always makes me laugh. And yes, if anyone on this thread decides to watch The Big Sleep get ready for a confusing plot. I read somewhere that even the author of the original story was confused about the plot! It's simply a fun and exciting movie.

Hmm.  I was a child when I saw City Lights.  Maybe it's time to try it again.  I love sweet endings to movies.  I'm such a romantic.   :love:

Edited by ChristianGirlForever

Not A Mallard

Hmm.  I was a child when I saw City Lights.  Maybe it's time to try it again.  I love sweet endings to movies.  I'm such a romantic.   :love:

I like silent movies because they're made more simply than today's standard, and they require a little bit more imagination, like they're combinations of both books and movies.

ChristianGirlForever

That's an interesting way of putting it, Not A Mallard. I like that. Perhaps, now that I am an adult, I will be able to appreciate the art of silent film.