An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Movies Fanclub ;)

Ancilla Domini

Not A Mallard

Was it brilliant?

Yes, it is.  Great dialogue, great acting, great climax...  Though the accents were too thick for me to understand at times.

Isn't it a fantastic movie? I love it so much!

Is this your first Mediterranean cruise?

tumblr_luxbsb5plc1r6iyy0o1_500.gif

There was a lot of drinking going on this movie.

Ancilla Domini

There was a lot of drinking going on this movie.

Yes. Yes, there was. :cheers2:

By the way, has anyone noticed that in Casablanca, everyone smokes like furnaces and drinks like fish but doesn't swallow an ounce of food?

Not A Mallard

By the way, has anyone noticed that in Casablanca, everyone smokes like furnaces and drinks like fish but doesn't swallow an ounce of food?

I consciously noticed the drinking part.

You are right.  Although, it much easier to smoke a lot or drink (because it's probably not liquor) take after take, but no one wants to eat food that's been sitting out for 8 hours.

Ancilla Domini

You are right.  Although, it much easier to smoke a lot or drink (because it's probably not liquor) take after take, but no one wants to eat food that's been sitting out for 8 hours.

You're probably right.

Funny piece of trivia, though:

Frank Sinatra hated cheesecake. There is a scene in Guys and Dolls where Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra are sitting conversing in a diner and Frank Sinatra is eating chesecake. Marlon Brando purposely messed up his lines so that Frank Sinatra would have to eat cheesecake over...and over...and over...again. :lol4:

Not A Mallard

You're probably right.

Funny piece of trivia, though:

Frank Sinatra hated cheesecake. There is a scene in Guys and Dolls where Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra are sitting conversing in a diner and Frank Sinatra is eating chesecake. Marlon Brando purposely messed up his lines so that Frank Sinatra would have to eat cheesecake over...and over...and over...again. :lol4:

I gotta watch more Golden Age actors.  No secular celebrities cut it for me either (I like Karen Gillian, but she's not in much that I'd want to watch either).  It doesn't help that popular movies these days aren't even about acting and life-changing character arcs.

ChristianGirlForever

I've run out of props. =(

One of the girls in a book club I was in last year asked the rest of us who our celebrity "crushes" were. Each oneof the girls immediately named theirs, and I just said, "I...well, I do, but...all of them are dead!"

Leslie Howard was a big one, but I think the biggest was Glenn Ford. :love:

Glenn Ford is great.  Have you seen The Doctor and His Girl?  I liked that one.  :)

My crush, since I was a little girl, is Cary Grant.  My Dad joked that he was my boyfriend.   :love:

Until I developed my one crush on a modern actor (terrible actor, but gorgeous and very sweet), I used to say that I only liked old dead guys.  It's a bit macabre-sounding, but it's true in a way.  They look so alive on the screen, that you don't think about the fact that they are long gone.

ChristianGirlForever

Yes, it is.  Great dialogue, great acting, great climax...  Though the accents were too thick for me to understand at times.

Many of the extras were real immigrants and the tears during La Marseillaise were real.  It added a more authentic feel to the movie.

ChristianGirlForever

That makes sense.  :)  No, it wasn't real alcohol.  In Gone With the Wind, during the celebration of Bonny Blue's birth, Clark Gable put real alcohol in Hattie McDaniel's glass!  

Not A Mallard

That makes sense.   :)  No, it wasn't real alcohol.  In Gone With the Wind, during the celebration of Bonny Blue's birth, Clark Gable put real alcohol in Hattie McDaniel's glass!  

I did see Gone With the Wind earlier this year.  It's quite melodramatic, but ultimately powerful with unforgettable imagery.

AncillaDomini, have you seen Joseph Cotton in Shadow of a Doubt?  He's amazing in that movie.

That is such a good movie! So suspenseful!

During my brief exile from Phatmass this afternoon, I got around to watching Desk Set. It was great fun! I especially liked the scene where Spencer Tracy was giving the "quiz" to Katharine Hepburn. "Were Harry and Grace goldfish?"  :smile3:

I'm not usually a fan of old movies, but I watched Casablanca recently, and it blew me away!

Also, you folks might like the movie "The Keys of the Kingdom" from 1944.  While I prefer the book version, the movie is really good too.