An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Strange Notion Of "gay Celibacy"

Nihil Obstat

Sometimes. But sometimes we can ignore reality and just keep chugging along.

If a guy knocks on your door, and as you open it he collapses from starvation, you might be obligated to give him that bucket of pudding you were about to consume in front of your Netflix marathon of Toddlers and Tiaras. As much as you wanted that pudding, reality itself has imposed an obligation to share at least a few spoonfuls from the bucket.

If a guy knocks on your door, and as you open it he collapses from starvation, you might be obligated to give him that bucket of pudding you were about to consume in front of your Netflix marathon of Toddlers and Tiaras. As much as you wanted that pudding, reality itself has imposed an obligation to share at least a few spoonfuls from the bucket.

lol @ me sharing pudding

PhuturePriest

DUDE! Yeah yeah you don't need eros. Do we tell young people who want to get married "now remember you don't need romance to be fulfilled"? No. That's because most people in spite of knowing you can be fulfilled with other things nevertheless want to get married and have a family. Because it's part of being human.

I bet you would be the person who tells infertile women "you can be fulfilled by mentoring others and being involved in your parish and blah blah blah" none of which addresses the MATERNAL instinct inscribed on a woman's heart. Even if it's true.

I don't reject the existence of the natural desire humans have for romantic pursuits, including having a spouse and children. But you seem to undermine the grace God gives us to live happy, fulfilled lives, even if we don't have the lives we particularly wanted. I don't know of one Priest who doesn't still have the desire for marriage. However, I also don't know of one priest who would exchange the vocation they were given for married life. They are perfectly fulfilled and happy, because God has given them the grace to be so.

Your assertion that I would disregard woman's natural desire for motherhood is nothing short of an ad hominem.

The incredible damage caused to our world by sin and concupiscence mean that our vocations and legitimate desires are often thwarted. We are damaged, personally. Society is damaged. Our nature is damaged.

We will not always be able to repair the effects of that damage. We will be constantly frustrated and broken down and subjected to tragedy. People will suffer and die and live what seem to be useless lives, or lives constantly bombarded by sin or temptation or disorder. 

For Catholics there has always only been one answer.

I bet you would be the person who tells infertile women "you can be fulfilled by mentoring others and being involved in your parish and blah blah blah" none of which addresses the MATERNAL instinct inscribed on a woman's heart. Even if it's true.

Oh yeah, life sucks sometimes, didn't you know? so sorry.

/sarcasm

PhuturePriest

Too much Byzantine iconography going on at Phatmass these days.  Irenaeus is so yesterday.  Hilary FTW!

I have Polycarp, who is both epic and has the benefit of being named something which is not currently a woman's name.

Oh yeah, life smells of elderberries sometimes, didn't you know? so sorry.

/sarcasm

What do you want, exactly?

I have Polycarp, who is both epic and has the benefit of being named something which is not currently a woman's name.

But who would you rather have a drink with?  The guy called Hilarius or the guy who sounds like a Pokémon reject?  I know which would prove more entertaining!

If anyone finds me offensively un-sympathetic, please do let me know. Otherwise I do not think that is a helpful direction for this thread.

There's a big difference between saying, in a variety of ways, 'look, I'm empathetic' versus actually demonstrating empathy.