An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Strange Notion Of "gay Celibacy"

Nihil Obstat

There's a big difference between saying, in a variety of ways, 'look, I'm empathetic' versus actually demonstrating empathy. 

Make a different thread then. I will subject myself to your judgement.

If anyone finds me offensively un-sympathetic, please do let me know. Otherwise I do not think that is a helpful direction for this thread.

I'm letting you know. As have a number of other posters on this thread without using that exact phrasing. It's not just you.

Oh yeah, life smells of elderberries sometimes, didn't you know? so sorry.

/sarcasm

1,833 people died in the wake of Hurricane Katina.  The 2011 earthquake and resulting tsunamai off the coast of Japan killed 15,889 people.  In the past month Boko Haram has kidnapped and sold hundreds of young girls into sexual slavery, and killed hundreds more men.

Yeah, life smells of elderberries sometimes.

Nihil's presented [b]the[/b] Catholic response to suffering.  A response of courage and trust in God's providence.  The effiminate spirituality some people peddle will do nothing more than breed more milquetoasts who will cower and wilt at the first confrontation with humanity's broken state.

Or perhaps you're one of those propserity gospel folks?

1,833 people died in the wake of Hurricane Katina.  The 2011 earthquake and resulting tsunamai off the coast of Japan killed 15,889 people.  In the past month Boko Haram has kidnapped and sold hundreds of young girls into sexual slavery, and killed hundreds more men.

There it is

PhuturePriest

There's a big difference between saying, in a variety of ways, 'look, I'm empathetic' versus actually demonstrating empathy. 

I don't see how claiming he (and, I assume since I agree with him, I) has a lack of empathy simply because he believes we can overcome our struggles through grace. It's disingenuous.

What do you want, exactly?

When you talk so clinically and detached, it hurts this community and people personally. I don't think you are the type of person, in real life, to say something so hurtful to someone who is suffering, but you post seemingly without empathy. 

What about sitting with people in their brokenness, in their suffering? As a Christian, I do not respond to someone's hurt, sorrow, brokenness, or suffering by saying "Life smells of elderberries sometimes". I respond by being with them in their sorrow, to let them pour it out to me, to cry with them, to hurt with them, to say to them "I don't understand your pain, but I am here for you to rage to, to cry to, to unburden yourself to." I don't say "All you need is Jesus and to accept your life!" Or "That's the way your life is going to go, just buck up and accept it!" Is that really a Christian response? That has *never* been my response to see someone struggling (with their vocation, their life, their sexuality, whatever). I'm not trying to say that you don't respond in similar ways in real life, but online it doesn't not seem so. 

When you posted what you did, I feel like that was not an authentic engagement with where real Catholic people (not just anonymous screen names) are at in their lives and their struggles. Sarcasm is generally my first response in situations like these. 

With that, I'm out of this thread. I'm being too impatient with this today, and honestly don't need this kind of engagement in my life right now. Peace. 

Edited by Lil Red

Nihil's presented the Catholic response to suffering.  A response of courage and trust in God's providence.  The effiminate spirituality some people peddle will do nothing more than breed more milquetoasts who will cower and wilt at the first confrontation with humanity's broken state.

I disagree with Nihil a lot and think he has lots of blinders but I also believe that he means well. I think you just revel in it. 

Nihil's presented the Catholic response to suffering.  A response of courage and trust in God's providence.  The effiminate spirituality some people peddle will do nothing more than breed more milquetoasts who will cower and wilt at the first confrontation with humanity's broken state.

Peace be with you. 

PhuturePriest

When you talk so clinically and detached, it hurts this community and people personally. I don't think you are the type of person, in real life, to say something so hurtful to someone who is suffering, but you post seemingly without empathy. 

What about sitting with people in their brokenness, in their suffering? As a Christian, I do not respond to someone's hurt, sorrow, brokenness, or suffering by saying "Life smells of elderberries sometimes". I respond by being with them in their sorrow, to let them pour it out to me, to cry with them, to hurt with them, to say to them "I don't understand your pain, but I am here for you to rage to, to cry to, to unburden yourself to." We don't say "All you need is Jesus and to accept your life!" Or "That's the way your life is going to go, just buck up and accept it!" Is that really a Christian response? That has *never* been my response to see someone struggling (with their vocation, their life, their sexuality, whatever). I'm not trying to say that you don't respond in similar ways in real life, but online it doesn't not seem so. 

When you posted what you did, I feel like that was not an authentic engagement with where real Catholic people (not just anonymous screen names) are at in their lives and their struggles. Sarcasm is generally my first response in situations like these. 

With that, I'm out of this thread. I'm being too impatient with this today, and honestly don't need this kind of engagement in my life right now. Peace. 

Emotions are important. We should always be empathetic. However, you seem to only be content with purely emotional responses to things, and disregard completely intellectual and philosophical approaches to issues. It seems rather unbalanced.

I disagree with Nihil a lot and think he has lots of blinders but I also believe that he means well. I think you just revel in it. 

You think I revel in what, exactly?

Emotions are important. We should always be empathetic. However, you seem to only be content with purely emotional responses to things, and disregard completely intellectual and philosophical approaches to issues. It seems rather unbalanced.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fpppppppppppppppppp