An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sex in Heaven?

PhuturePriest

I have no idea how you know 100 percent if we will eat or drink or not but whatever lol Revelations says we will drink the life giving water and eat the tree of life.

​That is obviously metaphorical. The Bible uses words that we can understand to describe things that are far beyond our comprehension. For instance, hell will not literally be full of fire. The Bible simply uses this imagery to express the worst suffering we can possibly imagine. Rather, hell will be full of emotional pain far beyond that which we can possibly comprehend. Burning for an eternity would be seen as a relief in comparison.

​That is obviously metaphorical. The Bible uses words that we can understand to describe things that are far beyond our comprehension. For instance, hell will not literally be full of fire. The Bible simply uses this imagery to express the worst suffering we can possibly imagine. Rather, hell will be full of emotional pain far beyond that which we can possibly comprehend. Burning for an eternity would be seen as a relief in comparison.

I don't think there is any firm consensus that hell doesn't have literal flames. That is JUST a theory. In reality most of what we believe about the after life is pious conjecture or more or less educated theological guesses. In spite of all the confidence in this thread.

Pretty much all we know about the afterlife is that there is one and it will either be really good or really bad depending on your behavior. A couple other details like there won't be sacraments, and eventually we get our bodies back. Almost all the rest is wait and see.

I don't get it?

Look closely at her face, look also at the Angel who is holding an arrow he has pierced her heart with. The imagery closely resembles a sexual encounter but it is a moment of spiritual, not physical, ecstasy. 

Also with regard to eating and drinking in heaven, we don't know this for sure either. All we know is we won't HAVE to eat or drink, not that we won't. St Brigid of Ireland memorably described heaven as a lake of beer for the king of kings. Note also that after the Resurrection, Christ ate fish with the disciples. There's no dogma on this topic. 

PhuturePriest

I don't think there is any firm consensus that hell doesn't have literal flames. That is JUST a theory. In reality most of what we believe about the after life is pious conjecture or more or less educated theological guesses. In spite of all the confidence in this thread.

Pretty much all we know about the afterlife is that there is one and it will either be really good or really bad depending on your behavior. A couple other details like there won't be sacraments, and eventually we get our bodies back. Almost all the rest is wait and see.

​Well, we actually do know for a fact that hell won't have literal fire, at least for a while, as since people in hell right now do not have bodies, they are therefore incapable of feeling physical pain. What I said earlier is backed by Saint Augustine (A doctor of the Church, which doesn't mean he is infallible, but he is an authority on theological matters), who said hell will not have literal flames.

Edited by PhuturePriest

KnightofChrist

I have no idea how you know 100 percent if we will eat or drink or not but whatever lol Revelations says we will drink the life giving water and eat the tree of life.

​Is there death in heaven? No, there is no death in heaven. An animal or plant must die in order for us to eat it.

You also said for sure we wouldn't have bodies and you were 100 percent wrong. It amazes me you know for certain so much about heaven.

​That's not what I stated. I was incorrect about gender, I never denied at anytime that we will have glorified bodies. I confused losing our animal natures with losing our sexual organs.

The union of the married couple on earth prefigures the ultimate union of God and Israel (us, the Church) which is begun here on earth and will be consummated when we enter into eternal joy. Sex is a dim reflection of the joy of union in heaven, not vice versa. 

I want to apologize to whomever I offended with this thread. Wasn't the intention but I think it may of ended up the result. I'm taking a break from phatmass. Sorry again. Take care.

Ash Wednesday

It was always my understanding that sex would not really be necessary in heaven -- the spiritual joy and pleasure experienced there would be so far beyond any earthly pleasure we can possibly experience here, we really wouldn't miss the things that we think we would miss.

At this point it's not really something we will be able to wrap our heads around, since we still just in the trenches on earth. 

Josh, the issue you have is that your vision of heaven is Islam's vision of paradise: Unlimited fleshly desires, namely food, drink, and most importantly, sex. This has never been the Catholic/Christian understanding of heaven, and hoping for such a thing is indicative of a very immature understanding of heaven and just what it is.

Rereading this thread. This is a great post. I don't think Heaven is anything like this. Actually what you described sounds like it could be hell.

Edited by Guest

I see the error in my thinking. I wish the moderator hadn't made this a separate thread. Superblue started all this by his thread stating Jesus was having sex with Mary which i replied in then the Mediator of Meh broke it off into a new thread. Superblue played the role of Satan in all of this and tempted me. I apologize for even commenting on this. I agree there will be no sexual intercourse in heaven. And superblue Jesus didn't sleep with Mary and have kids with her. Repent. 

Edited by Guest

I see the error in my thinking. I wish the moderator hadn't made this a separate thread. Superblue started all this by his thread stating Jesus was having sex with Mary which i replied in then the Mediator of Meh broke it off into a new thread. Superblue played the role of Satan in all of this and tempted me. I apologize for even commenting on this. I agree there will be no sexual intercourse in heaven. And superblue Jesus didn't sleep with Mary and have kids with her. Repent. 

​you really are a moron.