An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can a person be friends with a bishop?

oremus1

IgnatiusofLoyola

Later note: If a bishop is a member of a Religious Community, his Community may not celebrate members' actual birthdays, but instead celebrate their saint's day, Jubilee, or some other type of celebration.

However, even if an individual bishop does not do much to celebrate his actual day of birth, that doesn't mean his family won't still send him a birthday card, or his staff won't wish him "Happy Birthday." 

Nihil Obstat

do bishops celebrate birthdays? do they eat cake? do they have hobbies?

Please, you must be trolling. I cannot handle this level of... whatever this is. 

​Obviously, I can claim little familiarity with canon law, but I believe that one requirement to be a Roman Catholic bishop is that he be a human being. (Even if this is not explicitly spelled out, I expect it is assumed.)

Therefore, I expect that the answer to all three of your questions is, "Yes, but the details will vary by the individual bishop." For example, I expect that most bishops eat cake, some more than others. However, if the bishop has diabetes, he might not eat cake as often as he might like. :cake:

I will leave it to others to tell any anecdotal stories they might know about these specific aspects of the personal lives of bishops.

​who makes the bishop the birthday cake?
and does he have any candles?

bishop-yanta-80th-birthday-203.jpg

It's Padre Pio who used the title "Co-Redemptrix" when he prayed. I am not against the doctrina, I am against the world. When I heard "Co-Redemptrix", me, I think that the Virgin Mary and Jesus are the same. 

​You said in a separate post, "I am against the dogma of Mary as co-redemptrix". Although, technically, the use of the title "co-redemptrix" is not dogma, there are dogmas that we must believe about Mary that are in line with this title--so when you made the above statement, I was assuming you were denying those beliefs--because you are the one who used the word "dogma"--meaning, an official teaching of the Church. You can't start a sentence, "I am against the dogma..." without making it appear that you are denying Church teaching.

That's why I gave you the Phishy tag.

If I was mistaken, and you are not denying Church teaching, I will happily take it away. (although some argue that the title co-redemptrix is already contained in the deposit of faith--I am not going to pretend I am qualified to judge this)

Edited by dUSt

Nihil Obstat

​You said in a separate post, "I am against the dogma of Mary as co-redemptrix". Although, technically, the use of the title "co-redemptrix" is not dogma, there are dogmas that we must believe about Mary that are in line with this title--so when you made the above statement, I was assuming you were denying those beliefs--because you are the one who used the word "dogma"--meaning, an official teaching of the Church. You can't start a sentence, "I am against the dogma..." without making it appear that you are denying Church teaching.

That's why I gave you the Phishy tag.

If I was mistaken, and you are not denying Church teaching, I will happily take it away. (although some argue that the title co-redemptrix is already contained in the deposit of faith--I am not going to pretend I am qualified to judge this)

​Given the fact that Nada does not speak English natively, I think it is safer to assume that she opposes the possibility of co-redemptrix being defined as a dogma. A conditional statement, in that sense.

As I said, I do think Mary as co-redemptrix should and will be defined at some point, but as it currently is not and given the fact that theologians do faithfully hold opposing viewpoints, I do not think it is reasonable to penalize Nada on this point.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

PhuturePriest

​Obviously, I can claim little familiarity with canon law, but I believe that one requirement to be a Roman Catholic bishop is that he be a human being. (Even if this is not explicitly spelled out, I expect it is assumed.)

​Did you just use dry humor?

I have never been so proud of you in my life. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

​Did you just use dry humor?

I have never been so proud of you in my life. 

​IRL I use frequently use dry humor. But, I don't use it very often online because people can't hear my tone of voice, and know I'm kidding rather than being condescending. And, unfortunately, my dry sense of humor isn't always understood IRL, either. :idontknow:

NadaTeTurbe

​Given the fact that Nada does not speak English natively, I think it is safer to assume that she opposes the possibility of co-redemptrix being defined as a dogma. A conditional statement, in that sense.

As I said, I do think Mary as co-redemptrix should and will be defined at some point, but as it currently is not and given the fact that theologians do faithfully hold opposing viewpoints, I do not think it is reasonable to penalize Nada on this point.

​Nihil explained my phrasing. It was a very bad word that I used, I agree (specially giving the context), that it was a bad word that I used. 
Isn't one of the explanation for not having the dogma of Mary Co-Redemptrix is that (I'm quoting wikipedia who quotes Pope Benedictà "Pope Benedict XVI "that the title is sufficiently included in other better expressions of Catholic Marian teaching." ? 

I had an old professor friend who told me that when he was a young professor he tried to be inviting to all his students and take a personal interest in everyone, but he realized that this wasn't possible for many reasons...he couldn't get to know everyone, couldn't devote any real friendship to anyone if he was devoting his time to everyone, and at the end of the day, friendship is based on some mutual bond (there are different kinds of friendships, based on different bonds). It's not just a question if a you should be friends with a public person, but whether they want to be friends with you lol...they probably meet a lot of people.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Which one? ;) This thread has been all over the place.

Just kidding. I know which one. I need to learn when to stop trying to be nice. >:(

Nihil Obstat

​I am not a troll. I have important friends in high places. Like Bishops.

Please go away.

​I am not a troll. I have important friends in high places. Like Bishops.

​If you're friends with a bishop (or many) why did you ask if it was ok?  Thats bizarre.

And you do know that who your friends are dosn't really change if you're a troll or not.  Quite frankly there's lots of troll politicians in America