An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charleston Shooting Suspect (Derailed: Confederate Flag Debate)

CatherineM

I've burned an American flag. The proper way of retiring a flag that has become tattered. Did it with my VFW post and with the Boy Scouts. 

The reality is, only a small minority of actual American Indians get upset by such things.  Most Indians are cool with the sports mascots.

You generally don't name a football team after a group of people to insult them; you name teams after men known and respected for their courage, toughness, etc.

Do cowboys get upset over the name of the Dallas team?  (Though that would be understandable, for other reasons, lulz)  Persons of Scandinavian descent get outraged over the Minnesota Vikings?  And what about the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish?"

We've got too much silly pc feigned "outrage" in our culture, and too many stupid demands made based on (real or alleged) hurt feelings.  Some folks really need to man up and get a life.

In any case, such decisions should be made by the school or sports franchise, rather than by courts (though I think we agree there).

In any case, such decisions should be made by the school or sports franchise, rather than by courts (though I think we agree there).

Yes. This about the only area where I would agree with your last post.

Why is everybody arguing? The confederate flag isn't banned.

Personally, I encourage racists to fly confederate flags. That way, I can stay away from them and avoid their businesses. I actually think the removal of confederate flags will make it harder on black people, because now:

1. It will be harder to tell the racists from the non-racists
  2. It will just give the racists another reason to be racist

It's like the people who say, "I don't see color". I don't trust those people. Everybody sees color, and we should. We should acknowledge, embrace and celebrate our differences. Political correctness has disguised society as conforming to a standard--but in reality, it's just an ugly mask hiding our true colors. I say let those true colors fly, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm not scared.

Edited by dUSt

Winchester

Secession isn't treason, but the proximate cause of secession was the nullification of the fugitive slave laws by other states in the union. The confederacy was formed because some people were interfering with other peoples' claims of ownership of human beings. Imagine if part of Germany seceded from another part of Germany because Germans in that area were helping Jews escape their trips to the death camps. The motivation for secession was evil (although secession itself is perfectly legitimate).

The war occurred for reasons of political power (although some abolitionists did regard it was a war against slavery). The North was belligerent, the South fell for it, and then there was a big war where a bunch of poor stupid bastards died in the name of political power. It's a shame that the armies didn't march the politicians on both sides into a field to force them to fight.

It took slavers and control freaks on both sides to cause the war. Neither government was good. And the whole "heritage not hate" thing is belied by the grotesquely evil rules set up in the South to bolster segregation and dehumanize black people. It's quite evident from the racism (which reached murderous levels and used government power) following the end of the war that the South had a sizable number of racists (with access to political clout). There's nothing really to be proud of. It's a rag. It represents a useless war and a disgusting commitment to slavery at the expense of relative peace.

But if you wish to associate with that sort, go ahead. Fly that thing high so we know who you are. I'm grateful to the diamondback for shaking his rattle.

Why is everybody arguing? The confederate flag isn't banned.

Personally, I encourage racists to fly confederate flags. That way, I can stay away from them and avoid their businesses. I actually think the removal of confederate flags will make it harder on black people, because now:

1. It will be harder to tell the racists from the non-racists
  2. It will just give the racists another reason to be racist

It's like the people who say, "I don't see color". I don't trust those people. Everybody sees color, and we should. We should acknowledge, embrace and celebrate our differences. Political correctness has disguised society as conforming to a standard--but in reality, it's just an ugly mask hiding our true colors. I say let those true colors fly, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm not scared. I got nothing to hide.

so....confederate flag = racist?

so....confederate flag = racist?

No, I don't think so. Bo and Luke were not racist, and I am upset that The Dukes of Hazard is being affected by this.

With that said, I openly admit to stereotyping the people who fly confederate flags as being more racist than most, yes.

Also, the point has already been made--it has become a symbol of racism. Would you fly a rainbow flag in front of your home, even though you don't personally believe the rainbow is a symbol of the LGBT movement?

Edited by dUSt

Where I live, I've seen a lot of black Catholics in the parishes around here, white people, black people, and international people worshiping together. Can we do a better job? No doubt. Maybe God is calling you to do something…

I'm probably wrong about the few # of black Catholics. There's probably way more then I imagine. I just know they are very visible in other denominations and non denominations. But at the same time I know two extremely talented Catholic rappers who are black. Right now the Parish I go to is all Mexican. I'm the only white guy. Most of the Masses are in Spanish. 

No, I don't think so. Bo and Luke were not racist, and I am upset that The Dukes of Hazard is being affected by this.

With that said, I openly admit to stereotyping the people who fly confederate flags as being more racist than most, yes.

Also, the point has already been made--it has become a symbol of racism. Would you fly a rainbow flag in front of your home, even though you don't personally believe the rainbow is a symbol of the LGBT movement?

Rainbow flag was created for the purpose of being they symbol for gays. The Confederate battle flag was not created to be a symbol for racists.

Lilllabettt

Rainbow flag was created for the purpose of being they symbol for gays. The Confederate battle flag was not created to be a symbol for racists.

It was created to be the symbol for a racist cause (the confederacy, established to protect the institution of slavery.)

It was created to be the symbol for a racist cause (the confederacy, established to protect the institution of slavery.)

Largely to do with State's rights and greed. Not all slaves were black. Not all slave owners were white. 

"The choice of the rainbow in the form of a flag harkens back to the rainbow as a symbol of biblical promise. According to the Bible, God first created the rainbow as a sign to Noah that there would never again be a world-wide flood,[1][2] also known as the Rainbow covenant. The reformer Thomas Müntzer (1489–1525) connected socially revolutionary claims with his preaching of the gospel. He is often portrayed with a rainbow flag in his hand."

So, I ask the question again.

"The choice of the rainbow in the form of a flag harkens back to the rainbow as a symbol of biblical promise. According to the Bible, God first created the rainbow as a sign to Noah that there would never again be a world-wide flood,[1][2] also known as the Rainbow covenant. The reformer Thomas Müntzer (1489–1525) connected socially revolutionary claims with his preaching of the gospel. He is often portrayed with a rainbow flag in his hand."

So, I ask the question again.

So the gays are just being biblical. Interesting.  Answer to your question is no I would not fly the rainbow flag at my house. I also would not fly a confederate battle flag nor a MIA-POW flag nor a don't tread on me flag nor a skull and cross-bone flag. I only fly an US flag at my house. I am not trying to defend the people who use the confederate battle flag for their racist purpose. I am defending those, which some I know personally, that hold the confederate battle flag as a symbol of them being proud of being southern.  Is the confederate battle flag a wrong symbol for them to hold on to? Perhaps. Nonetheless, they are not racist in and of itself for choosing the confederate battle flag.....and should be free to do so.

That said, I don't believe the confederate battle flag should be part of any official government officialese.  It should have a proper place for historical purpose set aside from government officialese.  Unity was Lincoln's top priority, and I for one want that too. The Civil War was a ugly, dark time for our country.  But it is still is part of our history and I believe it best to preserve that history even the ugly. Actual history, not revisionist history.

Credo in Deum

Oddly enough the LGBT rainbow flag only has 6 colors while the Rainbow in the Bible had 7, since it was a reminder of the covenant God made with man.

Edited by Credo in Deum