An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charleston Shooting Suspect (Derailed: Confederate Flag Debate)

JUN 30 2015, 11:59 PM ET

by M. ALEX JOHNSON

Yet another black church in the South went up in flames Tuesday night, this time historic Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — 20 years after it was burned to the ground by Ku Klux Klan members.

The Clarendon County Fire Department said shortly before midnight ET that the fire was under control, but it released a photo showing the church with its roof apparently completely collapsed.

Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton told NBC News it wasn't known whether the fire was intentionally set, noting that a lightning storm passed through the area about the same time the blaze was reported.

No injuries were immediately reported, but The Kingstree News of Williamsburg County reported that the church was "gutted."

It's the latest in a string of fires at predominantly black Southern churches that began after a white gunman killed nine black worshipers at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, about 50 miles south of Greeleyville, on June 17.

The fires have fueled concerns about the potential for a new wave of racist violence since the Charleston shootings, and the FBI has launched an investigation.

Asked whether Tuesday's fire could be related to the other recent blazes, Mark Keel, chief of the State Law Enforcement Division, told the Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston, "Certainly, I think we all are concerned about those things."

Keel said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other federal agencies had been notified.

Mount Zion, founded more than 110 years ago, was burned to the ground June 20, 1995, by two members of the Ku Klux Klan, who pleaded guilty the next year.

President Bill Clinton attended the rededication of the rebuilt church a year later, speaking wordsthat have been echoed in the last two weeks:

"It was the church that saved the people until the civil rights revolution came along. And it is, therefore, I think, doubly troubling to people ... who spent their entire lives working for equal opportunity among our people, working for an end to the hatred that divided us for too long, to see our native South engulfed in a rash of church burnings.

"We have to say to all of you who have been afflicted by this, we know that we're not going back to those dark days, but we are now reminded that our job is not done. Dr. King once said, 'What self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up.'"

Credo in Deum

JUN 30 2015, 11:59 PM ET

by M. ALEX JOHNSON

Yet another black church in the South went up in flames Tuesday night, this time historic Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — 20 years after it was burned to the ground by Ku Klux Klan members.

The Clarendon County Fire Department said shortly before midnight ET that the fire was under control, but it released a photo showing the church with its roof apparently completely collapsed.

Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton told NBC News it wasn't known whether the fire was intentionally set, noting that a lightning storm passed through the area about the same time the blaze was reported.

No injuries were immediately reported, but The Kingstree News of Williamsburg County reported that the church was "gutted."

It's the latest in a string of fires at predominantly black Southern churches that began after a white gunman killed nine black worshipers at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, about 50 miles south of Greeleyville, on June 17.

The fires have fueled concerns about the potential for a new wave of racist violence since the Charleston shootings, and the FBI has launched an investigation.

Asked whether Tuesday's fire could be related to the other recent blazes, Mark Keel, chief of the State Law Enforcement Division, told the Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston, "Certainly, I think we all are concerned about those things."

Keel said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other federal agencies had been notified.

Mount Zion, founded more than 110 years ago, was burned to the ground June 20, 1995, by two members of the Ku Klux Klan, who pleaded guilty the next year.

President Bill Clinton attended the rededication of the rebuilt church a year later, speaking wordsthat have been echoed in the last two weeks:

"It was the church that saved the people until the civil rights revolution came along. And it is, therefore, I think, doubly troubling to people ... who spent their entire lives working for equal opportunity among our people, working for an end to the hatred that divided us for too long, to see our native South engulfed in a rash of church burnings.

"We have to say to all of you who have been afflicted by this, we know that we're not going back to those dark days, but we are now reminded that our job is not done. Dr. King once said, 'What self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up.'"

How is this relevant? 

You post your "hilarious" stories about all the myths and I'll post what I post. If you don't see how it's relevant then that's your problem. I don't have the time nor patience to spell it out for you. 

Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum

You post your "hilarious" stories about all the myths and I'll post what I post. If you don't see how it's relevant then that's your problem. I don't have the time nor patience to spell it out for you. 

Well when you get the time and the patience please come back and spell it out.

dominicansoul

"It was the church that saved the people..."

that's rich coming from a liberal...

How is this relevant? 

are you serious?

A white man commits a racially motivated terrorist attack at a historically Black church and (seven or so?) historically Black churches go up in flames in the following week. It's not a stretch getting from point A to point B.

Are you feigning to be obtuse to goad people into condescension or something?

Credo in Deum

are you serious?

A white man commits a racially motivated terrorist attack at a historically Black church and (seven or so?) historically Black churches go up in flames in the following week. It's not a stretch getting from point A to point B.

Are you feigning to be obtuse to goad people into condescension or something?

The question was in relation to current discussion that was going on about the flag, but that's fine.  I see the mistake I made since Josh's was just posting something related to the OP which had been first about the shooting and then later (d)evolved into the current discussion about the battle flag, the civil war, and finally the use of both flags by the KKK and the use of othe things.  Since we were talking about the latter I wanted to know how Josh's reply was relevant, but I can see Josh went all 360 and went back to the OP.  

I would argue though that the church burnings are related but not for the reasons everyone else thinks  (racism).  I believe racism will be the what the police pin this on because it's part of the tactic to divide this country while something bigger goes on.  This is the same reason for gay marriage.

http://www.maxkeiser.com/2015/06/while-sheeple-lose-their-minds-the-tpp-is-passed/

So if the Church burnings don't have to do with racism then what is it? Are you saying the government is burning them down? Not saying that isn't a possibility but if it's not the government then it's racist civilian bastards who are behind this. Just like the racist bastard who was behind the Charleston shooting. Or was that a conspiracy too? Did the government hire him ? Is that what you think? 

Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum

So if the Church burnings don't have to do with racism then what is it? Are you saying the government is burning them down? Not saying that isn't a possibility but if it's not the government then it's racist civilian bastards who are behind this. Just like the racist bastard who was behind the Charleston shooting. Or was that a conspiracy too? Did the government hire him ? Is that what you think? 

I'm not ruling it out that it is a government tactic to shift the focus of the populace in order to slide past us something which impacts all of us as a nation. I also don't put it past the government to continue fueling this race fire since it's working as planned.  Also have you seen the dashcam footage of Dylann's arrest? Not only was it extremely fast, it was also the easiest arrest I have ever seen.  Not only is Dylann calm but the officers are extremely friendly and have what seems to be a lack of excitement, and by that I mean a concern for their safety, which usually follows police when dealing with a suspect of a mass shooting.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dylann winds up being killed either in public or in prison, of course by someone black since no one would question it.  Either that or it will be by some racist white group which will further the race issue going on.

Edited by Credo in Deum

KnightofChrist

Who knows if Dylann was part of some shadowy larger group? What happened to those nine was an act of evil and bigotry either way. The burning of black churches is an attack upon African-Americans and Christians either way. It is also a sign that those behind it are influenced by the demonic. The debate about the Confederate flag has indeed over shadowed the memory of those killed by Dylann. And again it has distracted Americans and the African-American community away from an even greater threat to the survival of black race. Today with the Federal Government's blessing and financial help 1,700+ black babies will be murdered, so far this year 341,432 have been murdered, 17,411,491 since 1973. Again I don't know if Dylann was part of some shadowy larger group but any group that can justify and fund the murder of the most innocent is capable of anything, and clearly the Federal Government not only does not actually care about the lives of black persons it funds the extermination of the black race and distracts the public with nonsense debates like the Confederate Flag.

Edited by KnightofChrist

dylan doesn't have to be part of a larger group. He could be a "lone wolf" who inspired further crimes against Blacks.

Knight you seem pretty hung up on black abortion. I admit it's a huge problem. But the abuse Black folks deal with outside the womb is still unjust and horrible and I think if you focus on one or the other you might come off as more of an ideologue than someone who actually cares and sympathizes with Black people. I'm not saying you are, but racism runs deep in these here parts.

I believe it's pretty clear that the KKK stole the design of their uniforms from the Penitents. The Penitents during Holy Week will walk with a wooden Cross, but they don't burn it. There are other similarities as well suggesting the KKK copied or attempted to hijack the Penitents look.

The Klan wears gold, purple, black, green, blue, and red robes as well.

I wouldn't doubt it actually. It crossed my mind when I 1st saw pictures of them several years ago. Still, I don't think DS's implied analogy with the flag works: the Confederate flag, as I've argued, is integrally linked to the institution of slavery--- it wasn't exactly hijacked by the KKK, it was brought back as the symbol it always was, a symbol honoring the cause of defending states rights to keep their economic prosperity tool called slavery.

Edited by Seven77

KnightofChrist

dylan doesn't have to be part of a larger group. He could be a "lone wolf" who inspired further crimes against Blacks.

Knight you seem pretty hung up on black abortion. I admit it's a huge problem. But the abuse Black folks deal with outside the womb is still unjust and horrible and I think if you focus on one or the other you might come off as more of an ideologue than someone who actually cares and sympathizes with Black people. I'm not saying you are, but racism runs deep in these here parts.

REALLY?! Yes I'm passionate about it, yes I care VERY much about it. But I find your take on my being hung up on it insulting, sick, degrading and hypocritcal. You've also been mainly on the Confederate flag. I don't accuse you of being hung up or ideologue. So few are actually talking about the issue of Black Genocide today, so few actually give a d##n about it, so many actually support it, so excuse me if repeat myself again and again, when the world turns a deaf ear. I see the phrase black lives matter many places, and I believe that with all my heart and soul it is a truth. But it is very frustrating to see that many, so very many ignore the greatest threat to black America that exist today and those that try to warn against it are marginalized as ideologues. Or like you they say yeah that's a problem but don't talk about it too much. I'm sorry but the number of deaths make this the paramount issue that dwarfs all other issues.

It's really amazing, 9 innocent black people are murdered as they pray by a racist bigot and their are wide calls for the complete purging of all things Confederate, protest in the streets, outrage online. But point out nearly 2,000 African-Americans will be murdered each day and you may as well cue the tumble weeds and the crickets.

I'm done with this discussion

Edited by KnightofChrist