An Old School Catholic Message Board

I just fired Winchester

dUSt

To give the Mediators of Meh and dUSt due credit, I'm not aware of someone being given a Phishy tag lightly--normally it's based on a number of problem posts, and not used to punish a new convert who simply has poor catechesis. Obviously I'm not aware of the circumstances under which every single person with a Phishy tag received it, because normally it is not my business. But, in the situations I am aware of, the Phishy tag was not only deserved, but probably overdue.

They are given without moderators giving advice, warning or reason. There also isn't a way to appeal or a time period to remove it. I should know. Personally I don't see the point of having a debate section. I think I've also seen a phisy tag applied to non Catholics which makes no sense. IMHO it's simply a bully tool.

To give the Mediators of Meh and dUSt due credit, I'm not aware of someone being given a Phishy tag lightly--normally it's based on a number of problem posts, and not used to punish a new convert who simply has poor catechesis. Obviously I'm not aware of the circumstances under which every single person with a Phishy tag received it, because normally it is not my business. But, in the situations I am aware of, the Phishy tag was not only deserved, but probably overdue.

They are given without moderators giving advice, warning or reason. There also isn't a way to appeal or a time period to remove it. I should know. Personally I don't see the point of having a debate section. I think I've also seen a phisy tag applied to non Catholics which makes no sense. IMHO it's simply a bully tool.

How would you suggest we identify people with the "Catholic" label, but who post all kinds of things counter to Church teachings?

Ash Wednesday

phishy tag is not supposed to be for non-Catholics. That is what the "cordial non-Catholic" label is for. If someone says they are Catholic but tells people that abortion is OK, or that Pope Francis isn't a real pope, then someone who doesn't know the Catholic faith is going to get confused. That's why the labels are there. Everyone, moderators and users alike, can flag someone up as being "phishy" but dUSt is the one who ultimately assigns or changes the labels so any questions about them is best directed to him.

Also, and this is for everyone: the Religious tag is not meant to be assigned to someone just entering an order. Ideally it should be nominated once someone has taken their vows and has remained a nun for some time. 

phishy tag is not supposed to be for non-Catholics. That is what the "cordial non-Catholic" label is for. If someone says they are Catholic but tells people that abortion is OK, or that Pope Francis isn't a real pope, then someone who doesn't know the Catholic faith is going to get confused. That's why the labels are there. Everyone, moderators and users alike, can flag someone up as being "phishy" but dUSt is the one who ultimately assigns or changes the labels so any questions about them is best directed to him.

Also, and this is for everyone: the Religious tag is not meant to be assigned to someone just entering an order. Ideally it should be nominated once someone has taken their vows and has remained a nun for some time. 

The process is a bit random and it should be clear as part of the rules. At the moment it depends who you annoy in a debate and if they ask for the tag to be used. If the system was explained early on then the tag shouldn't be needed. But I can't see how anyone can debate in the current situation.

The content of a post is clear to all whether that person is on board with something. They don't need a tag to highlight the obvious. Also, simply because a person has views on one issue doesn't mean they are somehow phisy with regards everything they believe as a Catholic. If you're going to 'mark' people out then you should warn, explain and have a process of how it's applied and removed.

Ash Wednesday

I can't say I really agree with your assessment of the labels themselves, you seem to underestimate the ability for confusion to take place. But I think your suggestion that they be designated through a more clear warning process is a good one, and should be taken on board.

The process is a bit random and it should be clear as part of the rules. At the moment it depends who you annoy in a debate and if they ask for the tag to be used. If the system was explained early on then the tag shouldn't be needed. But I can't see how anyone can debate in the current situation.

The content of a post is clear to all whether that person is on board with something. They don't need a tag to highlight the obvious. Also, simply because a person has views on one issue doesn't mean they are somehow phisy with regards everything they believe as a Catholic. If you're going to 'mark' people out then you should warn, explain and have a process of how it's applied and removed.

No one is given the "phishy" tag simply for stating an opinion on an issue that the Church does not have clear teaching on. One only gets a "phishy" tag for repeatedly contradicting Church teaching. As Catholics, we conform our "opinions" to Church teaching when She gives a clear statement on a matter.

If you don't conform your opinion to that teaching, then you deserve the "phishy" tag. That's what it's for. And we have A LOT of lurkers and passers-by on Phatmass, who may not know enough about Church teaching to understand when someone labeled "Catholic" is stating opinions in line with the Church, and when they're not. Catholicism isn't the kind of religion where anyone who calls themselves "Catholic" can declare that their opinions are Catholic because they, as a person, are Catholic. But a lot of people think it works that way. So tagging people who choose to give themselves the "Catholic" label as "phishy" if they don't actually espouse Catholic teaching helps to make matters clear for the less well-catechized among us.

If I'm not mistaken, you got the "phishy" tag because you came off clearly in several posts as a sedevacantist. If you were given it erroneously, why don't you just clarify matters?

Edited by Gabriela

MarysLittleFlower

I think that it would make sense to help people understand why they're getting a "phishy" tag if they are. This would be for their own benefit too so that they would understand how their view might not be like the Church teaching. It can help them.

veritasluxmea

No one is given the "phishy" tag simply for stating an opinion on an issue that the Church does not have clear teaching on. One only gets a "phishy" tag for repeatedly contradicting Church teaching. As Catholics, we conform our "opinions" to Church teaching when She gives a clear statement on a matter.

If you don't conform your opinion to that teaching, then you deserve the "phishy" tag. That's what it's for.

This. This is what the tag is used for. I agree that a clear warning process- including proving where the person is contradicting the Church- is needed. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

MarysLittleFlower

I think in some cases the person might not know they're opposing the Church and that's where the explanation can help them. If they know, then maybe explaining the Church teaching more clearly can help? I mean they might change their mind if they see this is really doctrine and what it means. They can come back to the Church teaching. If though they still disagree well then the phishy tag is appropriate. 

Ash Wednesday

I think in some cases the person might not know they're opposing the Church and that's where the explanation can help them. If they know, then maybe explaining the Church teaching more clearly can help? I mean they might change their mind if they see this is really doctrine and what it means. They can come back to the Church teaching. If though they still disagree well then the phishy tag is appropriate. 

There have been some instances of this, where people simply didn't fully understand a doctrine and others were able to help them out. In those cases I haven't seen someone get the tag. Usually when they do get "phished", a poster knows full and well where the Church stands on something and they just disagree with it anyway in a persistent manner, at least that is how the process should be. The label really isn't meant to be given out lightly.

If you don't conform your opinion to that teaching, then you deserve the "phishy" tag. That's what it's for. And we have A LOT of lurkers and passers-by on Phatmass, who may not know enough about Church teaching to understand when someone labeled "Catholic" is stating opinions in line with the Church, and when they're not. Catholicism isn't the kind of religion where anyone who calls themselves "Catholic" can declare that their opinions are Catholic because they, as a person, are Catholic. But a lot of people think it works that way. So tagging people who choose to give themselves the "Catholic" label as "phishy" if they don't actually espouse Catholic teaching helps to make matters clear for the less well-catechized among us.

If I'm not mistaken, you got the "phishy" tag because you came off clearly in several posts as a sedevacantist. If you were given it erroneously, why don't you just clarify matters?

No, I'm definately not a sedevacantist. I was never told why, but was left to assume. I think Miles asked for it after he got rattled in a debate, but I could be wrong.  I've never had a warning in my phatmass life. There have been plenty of debates back, so it could have been because i disagreed with an opinion or someone misunderstood my position on certain issues (deemed them as unCatholic etc). It happens on forums to people I guess.  But nobody thought it proper to tell me personally.  I didn't really expect much better from some people on here after that, so I just put it down to forum drama and power trips.

I see debate as an exercise in taking different positions and then defending those points until a clear consensus comes out. Of course, the Catholic view should win. That or the person should study more :) However, other people see debates simply as a means to defend their own views. I made the error of thinking people would give fair treatment and argue varying positions when I shouldn't have. For that reason I don't bother with debates so much on here now (and I don't think I'm alone as the debate board often gets supressed to death) because people often assume too much about the beliefs and practices of the other person or use it to be snarky. I only mention this now because of recent events (even though I wasn't involved in those posts) because I can see why certain people have got fed up with how certain things have played out here. I think we all know other people have left before because of similar stuff too

Ash Wednesday

Benedictus, you should not have been given the label without explanation. Hopefully, more clarity or formality to the process will avoid that from happening in the future.