An Old School Catholic Message Board

I just fired Winchester

dUSt

Ash Wednesday

I love that facepalm emo - I think this is the first time I've seen it! :) 

I like it so much I borrowed it from another website. tee hee

This is supposed to be a happy thread. Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

sorry if it was me that got you fired winnie

I got me fired. I resent you implying that I needed help. Honestly, woman!

AccountDeleted

Change of mind considering the problems with this thread already. 

Edited by nunsense

AccountDeleted

Dear phatmass, I now have work to do today. Please behave, in the name of cake and tacos.

Hurry back. We might need you! This place is crazy!

crazy-laugh-gif.thumb.gif.baac92d282a0a3

To me, a personal attack is when someone directly comments about someone's character or name calls them directly. Like this (sorry to single you out, Josh): 

Criticizing someone's behavior, point of view or commentary, while at times people do in a very rude way -- to me does not constitute a personal attack that warrants disciplinary action. Telling someone that they support a viewpoint that is facist is pretty over the top, but I distinguish between that and calling someone a fascist directly.

If everyone in the phorum made this distinction, it would be a much more civil place. Unfortunately, lately, the moment you disagree with someone's opinion, they assume you're criticizing their person. It's led to a lot of ugliness.

I'm ambivalent about the prudence of being extra nice and gentle to people who pull out the victim card. It's too easily manipulated to get other people sanctioned. In moderating any conflict between Phatmassers, I think you need to look at what each party has said and ask whether either side could be reasonably considered to have been wronged, regardless of who is declaring they're "hurt/offended" and who's declaring they're "angry". I sometimes think that the Mediators of Meh are quick to rush to defend those who declare themselves weak and hurt against those who have thicker skins. The intention is good—and Christian—but IMO that often gets abused by people who are not weak at all. Some people dish out a lot around here, but the second someone dishes it out to them, they cry "personal attack". If Mediators of Meh go in for that, it DOES make the modding seem unfair. (Though rarely do I see them go in for that, and good for them!)

Edited by Gabriela

IgnatiusofLoyola

This was an interesting thread to wake up to. I had turned my computer off for the night by the time the thread started. (I sleep a lot due to health issues.)

I'm not really awake yet, and won't be for a couple of hours, so I'm not sure yet what I think. 

However, a number of people I like and consider friends have been posting in this thread. (It's always tough when people you like don't necessarily like each other). I mostly wanted to say that my silence in this thread so far is indicative of nothing other than the fact that I was asleep until 6:10 am CDT.

You may hear back from me if I feel I can contribute. 

Ash Wednesday

@dUSt

We also REALLY need to have the phorum rules clearly posted. It's a little unfair to level discipline on someone if they don't actually know what the rules are. If I'm warning someone, usually in the case of someone who I don't think may be fully familiar with the rules or has forgotten, it's helpful to actually cite the rule in place that's been violated. If the old ones have been lost, then perhaps a few of us can collectively help draft a new one up.

Thanks for all that you do.

slider_tacos_fiery_2013.png

Basilisa Marie

Wow this was fun to read, but it must be pretty embarrassing for you all having all that dirty laundry in public. 

Just a thought: I don't think we need to change the rules, but it would be nice if people didn't flirt with the line so often. Being a total jerkwad without technically violating the personal attack rule is basically just as bad as a personal attack. When random people like me can read what you say and know that it's done in the spirit of a personal attack but doesn't count because you've been around long enough to not precede it with the words, "You are a...", there's a problem.  We can't change the policy because it would be impossible to Mediator of Meh. But come on. Indulge in a little self-moderation.