dUSt Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 Let's answer this poll with these questions in mind: Will eliminating props help foster more replies to posts? Will eliminating props be better for us, spiritually? Will keeping props make it more reassuring for people posting? Will keeping props provide valuable feedback to help visitors evaluate different posters?
Nihil Obstat Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I vote positive only for the sake of positive reinforcement and worthwhile feedback.
Basilisa Marie Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I voted positive only, not because it feeds my ego (which it does) but because it's often really nice for me to tell someone I agree without interrupting the flow of conversation.
Didacus Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I say no! Down with BIG BROTHER!!! No more THOUGHT POLICE! Bring back Winchester as Mediator of Meh! And I miss LittleLes... *sniff*
Gabriela Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I voted positive only, because I felt the negative props were sometimes being used in angry, self-righteous, and/or penal ways. What I most like about the positive props is that, once someone hits 7 (or 8?), the system puts that red banner with a star on it to flag the post as "crazy dope" or whatever it is now. I like having that quick indicator that this is a post really worth reading.
beatitude Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I voted positive only, because I felt the negative props were sometimes being used in angry, self-righteous, and/or penal ways. What I most like about the positive props is that, once someone hits 7 (or 8?), the system puts that red banner with a star on it to flag the post as "crazy dope" or whatever it is now. I like having that quick indicator that this is a post really worth reading. I automatically looked for a button to prop this and was annoyed not to have it. I voted 'positive only' for these reasons (and also because they are a really nice thing to have in the Prayer Room - I like being able to say a virtual amen).
Not The Philosopher Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 To prop or not to prop - that is the question:Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to sufferThe slings and arrows of outrageous reputation,Or to take arms against a sea of downvotesAnd, by opposing, end them.
Era Might Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 To prop or not to prop - that is the question:Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to sufferThe slings and arrows of outrageous reputation,Or to take arms against a sea of downvotesAnd, by opposing, end them. ABANDON ALL PROPS YE WHO ENTER HERE
Nunsense Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I don't think we need them at all. And I sometimes felt people posted similar topics over and over again in the Prayer Thread just to get more props. I don't see any need for them because people just give props to those they agree with or like - not because the post has any particular merit - so no, just don't see any point in them. And maybe if someone likes a post, they can reply and say so.
Gabriela Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I automatically looked for a button to prop this and was annoyed not to have it. I voted 'positive only' for these reasons (and also because they are a really nice thing to have in the Prayer Room - I like being able to say a virtual amen). I agree about the "virtual amen" in the Prayer thread. I used to use that as an indicator that people had acknowledged my prayer requests and were praying for me. It made me feel better. With "views", for all I know, someone accidentally just clicked into the thread and then clicked back out.
Nunsense Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I agree about the "virtual amen" in the Prayer thread. I used to use that as an indicator that people had acknowledged my prayer requests and were praying for me. It made me feel better. With "views", for all I know, someone accidentally just clicked into the thread and then clicked back out. Thin an Amen button (not a prop) would be a good idea. Just to acknowledge prayers.
Gabriela Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 Thin an Amen button (not a prop) would be a good idea. Just to acknowledge prayers. Yeah, that could also work, and would be more appropriate and pretty cool for the Prayer board. But I'm not sure if it's possible to put one type of "up-clicker" in the Prayer board and another type out here.
Nunsense Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 Yeah, that could also work, and would be more appropriate and pretty cool for the Prayer board. But I'm not sure if it's possible to put one type of "up-clicker" in the Prayer board and another type out here. No, no, you miss my point. An Amen button and that's all - no props out here. I don't think we had props when I first joined phatmass and I think that's why the atmosphere was so much nicer and less combative and competitive. It was a place to come share ideas and debate topics but it didn't feel like a factionalised place, like it does now.
Peace Posted September 11, 2015 Posted September 11, 2015 I voted no props. Those things are too addictive. Found myself waking up at 3AM like "What? Only 3 props? That post was brilliant I tell you. Brilliant." And then going to sleep depressed.
Nunsense Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I voted no props. Those things are too addictive. Found myself waking up at 3AM like "What? Only 3 props? That post was brilliant I tell you. Brilliant." And then going to sleep depressed. And you have written some brilliant pieces @Peace. But if we don't have props, people can just respond by saying how much they liked what you said or how well it was said. Much more like communication than this click and run mentality of props. In fact, while we're on the topic @dUSt, I also hate the voting system in the Catholic Questions and Answers forum. The other day everyone had been down-voted and it doesn't say who did it either. It's really hit and run! I wish you would take that away too.
Cecilia Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I have visited the prayer room - - and have a preference for the old way when a prop would show prayerrs.
Nunsense Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I have visited the prayer room - - and have a preference for the old way when a prop would show prayerrs. The 'old' way had no props at all.
HopefulHeart Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 I voted positive props only, for reasons others have stated. Maybe we could reinstate the prop system but have it turned off every Friday, as a penitential fast from props.
Winchester Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 There should be negative props in the prayer room for if it's a dumb prayer.
Nunsense Posted September 12, 2015 Posted September 12, 2015 There should be negative props in the prayer room for if it's a dumb prayer. I prop this.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now