An Old School Catholic Message Board

To prop or not to prop

dUSt

Props  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's bring back props and also make something extra for those who get massive amounts of props!  Something like a gold star badge or something flashy.  Let's get wild with it.   

Edited by Credo in Deum

Well maybe s/he will post now.  

S/he'll more likely just stop visiting altogether, and never return. And the loss of that person is a serious loss to Phatmass, and not just IMO.

dUSt, you've acknowledged yourself that the Phorum has been poorly managed for some time. Some of the events surrounding the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015 made a lot of people feel really dismissed, like they're not important to us. If we really want to build community, I think it's important to hear out people who are so frustrated that they're considering leaving (or have already left). We can learn how to maintain a strong, positive community by listening to their stories.

I know you can't please everyone, and sometimes some people are just going to leave. That's understandable. But a publicly dismissive attitude towards those people makes a lot of people feel like they, individually, don't matter. So while trying to consider every single person's desires would make every phorum decision maddening and impossible, at least when a change is communicated to us, it'd probably be better for the community in the long term if the change were communicated gently, not in a "here's what's happening and if you don't like it you can smell of elderberries it up or leave" way.

AccountDeleted

S/he'll more likely just stop visiting altogether, and never return. And the loss of that person is a serious loss to Phatmass, and not just IMO.

dUSt, you've acknowledged yourself that the Phorum has been poorly managed for some time. Some of the events surrounding the Great Phatmass Migration of 2015 made a lot of people feel really dismissed, like they're not important to us. If we really want to build community, I think it's important to hear out people who are so frustrated that they're considering leaving (or have already left). We can learn how to maintain a strong, positive community by listening to their stories.

I know you can't please everyone, and sometimes some people are just going to leave. That's understandable. But a publicly dismissive attitude towards those people makes a lot of people feel like they, individually, don't matter. So while trying to consider every single person's desires would make every phorum decision maddening and impossible, at least when a change is communicated to us, it'd probably be better for the community in the long term if the change were communicated gently, not in a "here's what's happening and if you don't like it you can smell of elderberries it up or leave" way.

:dontlike:

so who needs props?

While some of what you post here has validity (not to be publicly dismissive of the feelings of others), the tone of your post does seem like just another way to reinforce your own preference to have props. I doubt that having or not having them has been the real thing that has driven anyone away.We didn't have them a long time ago, and we did just fine - better in fact, IMO. 

If we get them back, fine, but abusing dUSt to get them doesn't seem necessary.

Edited by nunsense

AccountDeleted

I just love being able to post something without the threat of a negative prop! :P  

If someone wants to downvote me, they have to actually post it in an emo or words or picture or something. It somehow seems like more of a commitment. As long as this lasts, I am very happy!

:rotfl2:

IgnatiusofLoyola

:dontlike:

so who needs props?

While some of what you post here has validity (not to be publicly dismissive of the feelings of others), the tone of your post does seem like just another way to reinforce your own preference to have props. I doubt that having or not having them has been the real thing that has driven anyone away.We didn't have them a long time ago, and we did just fine - better in fact, IMO. 

If we get them back, fine, but abusing dUSt to get them doesn't seem necessary.

I agree with all your points. We have lost a couple of excellent, mature posters in the past year, but as far as I know, having props or not had nothing to do with it. They left despite having props. I don't know who you refer to who visits and doesn't post, but only gives props, but I know of at least a couple of others who have stopped posting (or propping) altogether.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

AccountDeleted

I agree with all your points. We have lost a couple of excellent, mature posters in the past year, but as far as I know, having props or not had nothing to do with it. They left despite having props. I don't know who you refer to who visits and doesn't post, but only gives props, but I know of at least a couple of others who have stopped posting altogether.

People come and go depending on their own personal state of mind. I have left for awhile to 'chill out' and then returned, as have many others. Props come and go, people come and go, but I doubt there is a lot of correlation between the two things.

I agree with Gabriella. People leaving isn't about having/not having props. But listening to people who use the forum, and making changes based on how they like to use it, is important. And the people have spoken in favor of props. 

(Of course, if they didn't want props- I'd be fine with that as well.) 

Let's bring back props and also make something extra for those who get massive amounts of props!  Something like a gold star badge or something flashy.  Let's get wild with it.   

Make it animated! 

AccountDeleted

I agree with Gabriella. People leaving isn't about having/not having props. But listening to people who use the forum, and making changes based on how they like to use it, is important. And the people have spoken in favor of props. 

(Of course, if they didn't want props- I'd be fine with that as well.) 

Make it animated! 

People don't know what's good for them. :P 

IgnatiusofLoyola

When I first read this, I thought you were kidding, and if you are kidding, forgive me.

In the past I have seen "p*ssing contests" (mostly) among the "little boys" on the forum who avidly keep track of their props compared to those of other little boys as if Phatmass is some sort of video game. I think Lil Red deserves special recognition for attaining 10,000 props because she did it without really caring whether she was propped or not--she simply said what she thought. But, other than Lil Red, I'd vote that we don't make props a huge deal.

If props are reinstated, I'd personally prefer that props simply indicate how people feel about a particular post, and are not cumulative, with total props posted. A lot of the time, having lots of props doesn't really indicate the quality of a person's posts, but rather, how long they have been a member, and how many posts they make per day. I don't think it's healthy for posters to be competing, as if having more props means you are a a better Catholic than someone with fewer props.

When I first read this, I thought you were kidding, and if you are kidding, forgive me.

In the past I have seen "p*ssing contests" (mostly) among the "little boys" on the forum who avidly keep track of their props compared to those of other little boys as if Phatmass is some sort of video game. I think Lil Red deserves special recognition for attaining 10,000 props because she did it without really caring whether she was propped or not--she simply said what she thought. But, other than Lil Red, I'd vote that we don't make props a huge deal.

If props are reinstated, I'd personally prefer that props simply indicate how people feel about a particular post, and are not cumulative, with total props posted. A lot of the time, having lots of props doesn't really indicate the quality of a person's posts, but rather, how long they have been a member, and how many posts they make per day. I don't think it's healthy for posters to be competing, as if having more props means you are a a better Catholic than someone with fewer props.

I think we should assume the best in our members and not the worst.  Who really cares if someone is counting their props?  I'm sure if there are people counting props or trying to post for the sake of props, then those people are the minority on this site and not the majority.  The idea that we shouldn't have a prop system because of the irrational behavior of a few people, if they even exist on this site mind you, is kind of out there.  Feels like a Phatmass temperance movement calling for prop prohibition.  

People are going to find other means of propping wither it be stupid memes, gifs, or emoticons, so let's not clog the threads with that croutons and just reinstate the prop button.  

IgnatiusofLoyola

I think we should assume the best in our members and not the worst.  Who really cares if someone is counting their props?  I'm sure if there are people counting props or trying to post for the sake of props, then those people are the minority on this site and not the majority.  The idea that we shouldn't have a prop system because of the irrational behavior of a few people, if they even exist on this site mind you, is kind of out there.  Feels like a Phatmass temperance movement calling for prop prohibition.  

People are going to find other means of propping wither it be stupid memes, gifs, or emoticons, so let's not clog the threads with that croutons and just reinstate the prop button.  

Fair enough. But, if we keep props, let's not go in the other direction, either, and make a bigger deal out of props than they are under the current system.

BTW--I've forgotten if I've said already that if we reinstate props, I'd vote that we don't reinstate negative props. I'd rather focus on positive reinforcement. Plus, if a person has a problem with a particular post, they have the option of saying so, and why.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola